Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Santa Visits Migrant Kids

I would rather see the real poor children get more. Not all these migrants are poor. I saw the picture of some of the children in the paper and they were dressed just like any American child.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/16234488.htm

Posted on Thu, Dec. 14, 2006email thisprint thisMigrants' kids get early visit from SantaGIFTS FROM SANTA COME EARLY FOR 200 CHILDREN OF MIGRANT WORKERS AND OTHER LOW-INCOME FAMILIES
    BY EVAN S. BENN
    ebenn@MiamiHerald.com
    When Santa handed 5-year-old Shakeita Berry her present Wednesday, the little girl could barely lift the box that was almost as tall as her 3 ˝-foot frame.

Shakeita was one of about 200 children who celebrated an early Christmas party Wednesday evening at Florida City Elementary. The party was for some of the poorest children in Miami-Dade, most of them the children of migrant farm workers. And the present they received from Santa at the party might be the only one they get this holiday.

It was the 15th year the Girl Scout Council of Tropical Florida has teamed with several Miami-Dade law firms to make sure all the kids in the Migrant Academic After-School Program experience the joy of getting a gift with their name on it.

''It's something we started so long ago, because we saw a need for it in the community,'' said Shelly Cartaya, the event's founder. ``Now it's something we can never stop, because the kids look forward to it every year.''

Cartaya started the holiday gift-giving party in 1992, after Hurricane Andrew devastated South Miami-Dade. She saw the way migrant families in Florida City and Homestead especially struggled to recover, and she wanted to bring them cheer during the holidays.

The after-school program offers tutoring and extra-curricular help for the youngsters, ages 4 to 11, who attend Florida City, West Homestead and Laura Saunders elementaries.

The tutoring is a regular activity, but the holiday party is a once-a-year treat.

''It's like, all year long, this is what they are waiting for,'' said tutor Bianca Rodriguez, 23.

''I was here every year from the time I was 5 until I was out of the program,'' Rodriguez said, remembering the Barbies and Cabbage Patch dolls she brought home from the parties.

When all the kids had their gifts in hand, Cartaya gave them the OK to tear into them. While dozens of kids ripped through wrapping paper, unveiling remote-controlled trucks and board games and gift cards, a few sat quietly, keeping their presents tightly wrapped.

''Their parents tell them not to open their gifts until Christmas, because they know they might not have anything else to give them,'' Cartaya said. ``That's very emotional.''

Shakeita needed a friend to help her open her massive box, which turned out to be a make-your-own princess bear kit. Shakeita nodded and smiled her approval, saying in a shy, quiet voice, ``It's pretty.''
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Last week I saw 3 bus loads of hispanic children at K-mart and the manager said they were being taking shopping by a person and would spend up to $100 on each child.

Because of the family income they are egible for school breakfast and lunches and many other benefits.
    Reno, NV

''I was here every year from the time I was 5 until I was out of the program,'' Rodriguez said,
    Why are you in a program like this for six years? I can tell you from personal experience that a personan can go from having nothing to a regular life in less than six months, and it can be done without receiving any freebies.

''Their parents tell them not to open their gifts until Christmas, because they know they might not have anything else to give them,'
    '
    That's right, because Daddy need to buy a new SUV, and the gas costs almost as much as the vehicle.

Shakeita needed a friend to help her open her massive box, which turned out to be a make-your-own princess bear kit. Shakeita nodded and smiled her approval, saying in a shy, quiet voice, ``It's pretty.''
    It would look prettier in Mexico. Have a nice trip, kid.

Geez, I hope Santa has a good HMO, with all of the diseases brought into our country, he might leave that party with a little more than good cheer.

I always give a couple of toys to Toys for Tots. But I am really thinking hard about it this year. I would rather 'sponsor' and American family, than see any of the toys go to illegals. I know that sounds harsh for the poor immigrant kids, but that is how I feel.

I live in a very small community so everyone knows everything. I pass these "poor" illegals and they are all driving brand new trucks/SUVS. They all drive white Toyotas, land cruisers, forerunners, and tundras. How much do those cost new? Many of them are buying houses as well.
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

I don't have a problem with them going to illegal immigrant children. After all, they happen to be stuck in this situation and well, are not true criminals. That's why they are guaranteed a public education in the US at our expense, because it's their right.

Roxas, illegals have no rights, except the right to get the heck out of our country. Public welfare is supposed to be used for a short time until people get back on their feet. It isn't intended to be a lifelong career.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxas
    I don't have a problem with them going to illegal immigrant children. After all, they happen to be stuck in this situation and well, are not true criminals. That's why they are guaranteed a public education in the US at our expense, because it's their right.
    I agree that they(the kids) are stuck in a situation that they have no control over. I am speaking from my perspective of the situation in my town when I say that I have a real problem with kids of illegal immigrants getting the toys when their parents are driving around in 30k dollar vehicles. ESPECIALLY, when we have plenty of American kids who won't have anything under the tree without those toys. The other thing they do is clean out the food pantry, even though they are making $20 dollars an hr cash and standing in line at Western Union to send the money home, even though they are getting free food! Is that fair to the American families living below the poverty line who are just struggling to feed their kids?
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

The parents have 3 or 4 children and use them for their own cause just like Elvira. In many cases this is taking advantage of the system once again. As previously mentioned, they do send money back home regularly and many have homes that alot of Americans can't afford to buy after being here for a few years. The only thing I feel sorry about kids for is that they are being used to stay in the country and for economic gain i.e. welfare.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Roxas
    I have a problem with anything going to illegal kids, because today's illegal kids are tomorrow's anti-American adults. No allegiance, and no gratitude. They are being raised to suck the tax payers money out of our wallets.

They are being taught to be anti American. My daughter does police explorers in the third world country of Miami and many of the other explorers are Hispanic. They have a habit of not speaking English when with other Hispanics when they are on break, during parties or on the way to events as a group. My daughter has complained on numerous occassions. This should not be happening at all since they all go to school here and speak perfect English.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast