When it comes to comprehensive immigration reform, Republicans in Congress have expressed a fairly unified position: no overhaul of the immigration system before the border is secure, and no amnesty for illegal immigrants already in the country.

But conservatives are less unified when it comes to defining "amnesty." Two Republicans' recent use of the term suggests that vague definitions of amnesty contribute to a confused rhetoric about the immigration debate—particularly around the question of what to do about the estimated 12 million people now living in the country illegally.

As he joined yesterday's squabbling over Scripture in the House, Iowa Rep. Steve King argued that evangelical religious leaders who advocate comprehensive reform also support "amnesty" for illegal immigrants. One of those leaders, Liberty University President Matthew Staver, disputed that claim at the House Judiciary subcommittee hearing. The liberal blog Wonkroom at Thinkprogress has a transcript of the exchange:

KING: I would define amnesty this way [...] — to grant amnesty is to pardon immigration lawbreakers and reward them with the objective of their crime. And I just submit that definition to you and ask as a lawyer, an attorney, as a pastor, and as someone who has studied this thoroughly, how you would react to that definition. [...]

STAVER: Congressman King, that definition would not be consistent with the rule of law. It would not be consistent with the definition that is Blackstone or Black’s Law dictionary. Amnesty would be forgiveness — complete forgiveness — where you have absolutely no penalty. That’s what Ronald Reagan did, I don’t support what Ronald Reagan did. I don’t suppose that that is what I’m proposing here. [...]

The leader of the Southern Baptist Convention, Richard Land, also took issue with Republicans calling the plan amnesty. Illegal immigrants would have to pay a fine and back taxes, undergo a background check, learn English, and then go "to the back of the line" to wait for legal status behind those who have already applied to enter the country legally.

"I do not believe you can strain the English language into saying that's amnesty," Land said at the meeting.

But Rep. King said he doesn't think those measures are adequate punishment for breaking the law by entering the country â€â€