Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

GFC

School illegally tried to attract white students

Note- I dont blame the school for trying to attract white students who's parents happen to have deeper pockets. Its a matter of economics.

Aug 9, 4:26 PM EDT

School illegally tried to attract white students, attorneys say

By JULIA GLICK
    Associated Press Writer

DALLAS (AP) -- A Dallas public school "crossed the line" in trying to appeal to parents of white students, including the PTA president's idea to limit the number of Hispanics pictured in a brochure, attorneys argued Tuesday in a racial segregation lawsuit.

Latino parents at mostly Hispanic Preston Hollow Elementary School filed a federal lawsuit against principal Teresa Parker and the Dallas Independent School District in April. The suit alleges that Hispanic and black students were kept in English as a Second Language classes even when they tested out and that multiage courses with almost all white students were created.

"The defendants have crossed the line in this case with their attempts to segregate white children into separate classes, with their attempts to attract white students and ultimately with their attempts to halt white flight in violation of the law," David Hinojosa, a lawyer with the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund, said in opening arguments before a federal judge.

Marcos Ronquillo, attorney for Parker and the district, said Superintendent Michael Hinojosa will be among many witnesses testifying to the district's commitment to equality in education and excellence.

"The majority of Latino students are in need of the English as a Second Language programs," Ronquillo told the judge. "They are receiving an equal education opportunity that is appropriate to the children's needs."

Attorneys for the plaintiffs opened their case by presenting an e-mail they said was sent by the school's PTA president. The e-mail said only a few Hispanic students would be selected to appear in a brochure intended for residents of Preston Hollow, one of the city's more affluent neighborhoods.

"The purpose of our brochure is to get more of our immediate neighborhood families that live in big expensive houses to reconsider those private tuitions and send their kids to us," the e-mail said, referring to students who attend private schools. "While our demographics lean much more Hispanic, we try not to focus on that in the brochure."

The school is about 66 percent Hispanic, 18 percent white and 14 percent black, Hinojosa said.

Parent Ana Gonzalez testified through a translator that she was "very upset" when a teacher showed her the e-mail. In brief cross-examination, Ronquillo questioning whether Gonzalez, who speaks limited English, understood everything in the e-mail.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/T/ ... TE=DEFAULT

God forbid a white person should be lured by schools.....rights are being lost left and right. Please don't offend the illegals!

Wait, I thought the idea was to have DIVERSITY in school, with an equal number of representative students from every race??

With 66% of the students at this school being Hispanic, and less than 20% white, isn't that a bit unbalanced? Isn't it the right of the school to treat all races equally?

Oh wait. I forgot, all races except the white race. We don't count.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

I told you guys, LA-RAZA-de-ANGLO-AMERICANS...

DId you tink I was jus jooooookkkkkiiiiinnnnn????? :P

Preston hollow is a pretty ritzy area. Ross Perot lives pretty close. The White students mostly go to private schools.
    On the subject of schools Michael Savage said today that Massatusetts will be giving illegals a tuition break but will no longer give servicemen returning from Iraq tuition breaks. I hope he is wrong about that.

andyt wrote:

On the subject of schools Michael Savage said today that Massatusetts will be giving illegals a tuition break but will no longer give servicemen returning from Iraq tuition breaks. I hope he is wrong about that.
    So let me get this straight: If you break our laws and enter our country illegally, you will be rewarded with a break in college tuition. HOWEVER, if you risk your life and go to war for the United States, you don't get this same break?

My mind simply can't wrap itself around this. It's inconceivable....utterly inconceivable.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".