Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Schwarzenegger health reform would cover illegal alien kids

Schwarzenegger health reform would cover illegal immigrant children

By: EDWARD SIFUENTES - Staff Writer

NORTH COUNTY ---- Health-care advocates and local politicians said they are eager to hear the details of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's budget and health-care proposals due out this week.

Fresh from Friday's inaugural ceremony, Schwarzenegger is scheduled to announce a plan today that would guarantee medical insurance to all California children ---- including those who are illegal immigrants ---- who currently have no coverage. He is expected to follow the announcement with his State of the State address Tuesday and with his spending plan Wednesday.

Administration officials offered few specifics about the governor's spending plan, but said it would not raise taxes and would narrow the state's estimated $5.3 billion spending gap.

"We've made a great deal of progress in reducing the state's operating budget deficit," said H.D. Palmer, a spokesman for California's Department of Finance. The governor's budget will "continue to make progress," he said.

Schwarzenegger, who was re-elected in November by a wide margin, struck a bipartisan tone during his inaugural address. Democrats control both houses of the Legislature, but most proposals involving state spending require a two-thirds vote, giving Republicans significant leverage.

"It is time we combined the best of both ideologies into a new creative center," he said. "This is a dynamic center that is not held captive by either the left or the right or the past."

Republicans said they would hold the governor to his word.

"All that we ask is that we have a significant seat at the table," said Peter DeMarco, chief of staff for state Sen. Mark Wyland, R-Carlsbad.

Assemblyman George Plescia, R-San Diego, said he hopes the governor's plan will continue to reduce the budget gap while making transportation funding a top priority.

Plescia, whose district includes parts of inland North County, last year was among the "Big Five," a small group that includes the governor and party leaders and helps shape the budget.Ý

"The January budget never gets voted on," Plescia said pointing out that the governor's plan is only the beginning of a long negotiating process. "The real negotiations" start in May after a revised budget is proposed, he said.

The deadline for the budget, as defined by the state constitution, is June 15. The state's new fiscal year starts July 1.

Facing re-election, the governor signed a $131.4 billion budget last year ---- the first on-time spending plan in six years. It gave schools a $5.1 billion increase over the previous year, for a total of $55.1 billion. It set aside nearly $4.9 billion to pay debts and build up $2 billion in reserves, but left a deficit of over $5 billion.

Last year, a debate over expanding access to state-funded health care, which would have included illegal immigrant children, pushed the budget negotiations past the state-mandated deadline. It was approved hours before the beginning of the new fiscal year after proponents dropped the plan.

Schwarzenegger said he opposed the expansion at the time, but indicated his objections were fiscal, not philosophical.

"There is no right or wrong here," he told reporters last year during the budget debate. But "we still have a huge debt," he said.

Last week, the Los Angeles Times cited unidentified officials saying the governor would unveil a plan today to insure an estimated 763,000 children, including illegal immigrant children. The proposal would guarantee medical coverage to the children of families earning up to 300 percent of the poverty level, or about $60,000 a year for a family of four, according to the report.

Senate President Pro Tem Don Perata, D-Oakland, introduced a similar plan last month, but his plan excludes illegal immigrants.

Health-care advocates said they were enthusiastic about the governor's idea, but also said the proposal would be face tough opposition among many in his own party.

"We think it's terrific. It's great that the governor is exerting leadership in health care reform," said Bob Ross, president of the California Endowment, a Los Angeles-based private foundation that advocates for increased access to health care.

He said it would be harder to convince Republicans to support including illegal immigrant children in the plan than it would be to find the money to pay for it.

Estimates on the number of uninsured people in the state can vary, especially concerning illegal immigrants, but Ross said his organization estimates there are about 800,000 children who have no medical insurance in California. About 15 percent of them are illegal immigrant children, he said. He also estimates that the governor's proposal would cost $300 million to $400 million a year.

Although there are no details on how the governor plans to fund the program, Plescia and other local Republican lawmakers said they would oppose using state money to cover illegal immigrants.

"We need to be very careful with what the governor is going to have coming out," Plescia said. But "as far as the illegal immigration issue, our caucus is very unified on that."

Newly elected Assemblyman Martin Garrick, R-Vista, said he would reserve comment on the specifics of the plan until he sees it, but said: "We don't want to reward individuals that break the law."

Advocates, including Ross, said taxpayers already spend money on illegal immigrants when they visit the emergency room. He said offering medical coverage would improve public health and save money.

"I sleep better at night knowing that all children have been afforded the opportunity for immunization," Ross said. "From a public health perspective, the state of California already pays for emergency room care and hospitalization for the children of illegal immigrants. Why not spend the money more wisely and cheaply up front?"

Contact staff writer Edward Sifuentes at (760) 740-3511 or esifuentes@nctimes.com. Comment at nctimes.com.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/01 ... 190830.txt

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

This is a tough one. I am angry at Arnold for caving in , but he is probably worried about an epidemic with all of these diseases being brought into our country. If anybody thinks that things are out of hand now, wait ten or twenty years, we are going to see some real trouble.

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

Skip wrote on January 07, 2007 8:34 PM:"We are on a roll now! Two California health care stories back to back. I GOT NEWS FOR YOU PEOPLE ; THE DEMOCRATIC BACKED AMNESTY IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!"

Reardon wrote on January 07, 2007 8:53 PM:"Come one, come all...in all the languages of the world. "

Ray wrote on January 07, 2007 8:54 PM:"We just keep paying for Mexico and it's problems. Time to move."

LT wrote on January 07, 2007 8:58 PM:""I sleep better at night knowing that all children have been afforde the opportunity for immunization...", says Ross. The funny thing is the mere idea that some illegal immigrant kids receiving basic care keeps bigots up all night. These are the same guys that call themselves Christians."

You have got to be kidding me! wrote on January 07, 2007 9:02 PM:"Let's remember the operative word-illegal! Why would we reward them for sneaking into our country? In a recent story stating San Diego paid $22 million for the birth of children to illegal aliens in 2004, an illegal mother coming out of a clinic said that she was frustrated that we weren't footing her $35 bill for her toddler's checkup. You have got to be kidding me! Their sense of entitlement stuns me! She said since she paid sales tax the visit should be free. We pay $800 a month for our insurance which is a hardship and they want it for free. I say if Mexico will return the insurance /healthcare favor, then and only then, should we even think about it! The Ca endowment already helps fund illegals healthcare. They provide medical care and health screenings including HIV and TB testing to the illegals in McGonigle through North County Health Services. They also hand out condoms which are used with the underage prostitutes that are sold in the canyon."

Arnold is really a good democrat wrote on January 07, 2007 9:08 PM:"I like Arnold. It really doesn't matter if the children are here illegally. We have to protect them. God bless this good Christian."

Whynotpaymore wrote on January 07, 2007 9:29 PM:"I'm all for paying more taxes to help illegal immigrants. Help them get on a bus and get the hell out of this country. "

Zack wrote on January 07, 2007 10:10 PM:"Arnold caves into the demands of the wacked out liberal California legislature (NOT representative of the average California voter). It seems now we will continue to be forced to subsidize free loading Mexicans and their kids. Since the political disaster with the recent Mexican elections, more of these freeloaders will come up and get a free ride and abuse the finances of our great state, not to mention crime, etc,. Arnold, I voted for you, but now I am ashamed of you. Why are you afraid of upholding the basic premise of the Constitution...the Will Of The People? "

NoNoNo wrote on January 07, 2007 10:43 PM:"Why do we always have to cover illegal immigrant cost?"

American Citizen and voter wrote on January 08, 2007 1:29 AM:"Yes I knew I voted for the right man. Finally we have an elected representative who understands, respects, and upholds the Constitution of these Great United States. I know I voted for the right person who will do the right thing. "

Okay All You God-Fearing Christians wrote on January 08, 2007 4:06 AM:"Time to rise up in armed opposition to the Terminators act of compassion. Yes, I know, helping out your fellow man is "the end of the free world""

John wrote on January 08, 2007 5:04 AM:"Arnold have you lost your mind?Must have been the anestetic used on his leg surgery."

How many more benefits to illegal immigrants wrote on January 08, 2007 6:33 AM:"In 2004 40% of the Medi-Cal births were to illegal immigrants. Now our governor wants us to pay for illegal immigrant children's health care. Illegal Immigrants aren't even suppose to be in this country so why are we giving them benefits. What benefits are taxpayers going to pay for next? Construction is slowing due to a slow turnover in real estate sales. Who's going to get the construction jobs, Citizens or cash under the table illegal immigrants? I've already written to our governor telling him that we should not be giving benefits to people that are in this country illegally. Legal immigration in controlled numbers helps keep this country great. Our immigration laws need to be enforced and our borders secured for many many reasons."

Great wrote on January 08, 2007 6:49 AM:"Kids should always come first no matter what."

Gary wrote on January 08, 2007 6:58 AM:"This story has broke all over Mexico by now. This is just one more message that America is not serious about enforcing their Immigration laws. How many feel-good stories have you read about illegal Aliens who are getting massive amounts of free medical or social services, and then saying "We don't have this in my country". Well the gravey train is rolling so come on down!"

Neese wrote on January 08, 2007 7:01 AM:"This is a tough one. I am angry at Arnold for caving in , but he is probably worried about an epidemic with all of these diseases being brought into our country. If anybody thinks that things are out of hand now, wait ten or twenty years, we are going to see some real trouble."

Ingrid wrote on January 08, 2007 7:05 AM:"For the Ultimate California Anchor baby Story just " GOOGLE" the following "6 + 4 = 1 Tenuous Existence" "

Mimi wrote on January 08, 2007 7:11 AM:"OK! Now Americans need a passport to enter back into the USA if they travel to Canada or Mexico but people entering our country illegally are rewarded with health care for their children and citizenship for the children illegal's produce here. On the other hand I think, if they have their immunizations maybe we won't have epidemics or a large amount of death because we would pay for that also. BUT...if officals know they are illegal couldn't we just give them a shot and send them on home. "

It is time for another RECALL. wrote on January 08, 2007 8:30 AM:"I am sick to death of these politicians forcing US to pay for illegal immigrants."

Mike America wrote on January 08, 2007 8:30 AM:"The joke's on us folks. Schwarzenegger is the Mancherian cadidate. He's gonna make Grey Davis look like a fiscal conservative Minuteman by the time he's gone."

Ron wrote on January 08, 2007 8:38 AM:"I don't know what kind of drugs the doctor's have Schwarzenegger on, but he is obviously out-of-his-mind! You do the math: (his last year's budget) "...left a deficit of over $5 billion." We have another year of structural deficit, and their going to add more spending? Now, I can put my healthcare premiums on my credit card too, but eventually I gotta pay off the card! And finally... their estimates on health care costs: "...estimates that the governor's proposal would cost $300 million to $400 million a year." Now when was the last time a Government "estimate" was even close to being accurate? Try $600-800 million as a starting point. We can't afford this, and the flow from Mexico is going to double. "

USA Citizen wrote on January 08, 2007 8:38 AM:"I think that all Illegals should not have any type of benifit. We pay and they get it free. THIS IS STUPID."

Concerned wrote on January 08, 2007 8:53 AM:"Well, they've already ruined our education system. The healthcare system is in dire straights. Sections of every Southern California city have turned into little Tijuanas. Life as we knew it in California is slowly slipping away. And most of you are saying "Ole!""

Catbone wrote on January 08, 2007 8:57 AM:"This is disastrous indeed for the taxpayers. Let the aliens seek treatment in Mexico. Our taxes are for the needs of Americans, not for those in this country illegaly! Ship 'em back!"

Another step towards encouraging people to ignore the law? wrote on January 08, 2007 8:57 AM:"If illegal immigrants could get free health care for their kids, then health care should also be made free for the children of legal U.S. citizens. I'm against encouraging illegal immigration or any other crime, but at the same time want to protect the children as it's not their fault that their parents choose to break the laws of our country."

Jeff wrote on January 08, 2007 9:26 AM:"If the Republicans were smart they would insist that the health coverage of illegal immigrant children be done and funded through a separate program. That way the radical immigration agenda of the Democrats and the media to obscure the distinction between legal and illegal immigrants would be made clear to voters. And since they wouldn't be denying coverage for any child, they couldn't be accused of being heartless. This would probably align well with the sentiments of the majority of the state's voters. How will the existing 22 county insurance programs that are mostly for illegal immigrant interact with the new entitlement being proposed? Won't the children covered by those be shifted into the state program? "

fedup wrote on January 08, 2007 9:33 AM:"Arnold has lost his brains! Why in the heck should any ILLEGAL get taxpayer funding for anything? Nope, no way, no how........"

bryan wrote on January 08, 2007 9:37 AM:"Hold your ground Plescia. Your up against a strong democrat governor."

Need to see the numbers wrote on January 08, 2007 9:40 AM:"I would need to see the cost breakdown of providing health insurance to illegals vs paying for their emergency room care. I really believe that the Federal government should be charged for this expense, as the whole border situation is their responsibility. I'm also having a really hard time accepting this when our 19 year old son, who is a US citizen who pays his state and Federal taxes, has no employer-provided health care coverage. He must pay for his own health insurance, and does not even get a tax break (as a business would) for doing so.Under this proposed plan, if our son was an illegal 17 year old, he could get free health insurance! This just is not right! Shouldn't our own citizens come first?"

The California Titanic wrote on January 08, 2007 9:47 AM:"This state is on its way to fiscal suicide. The polititians are like the Titanic's designers who say "She'll never sink!" The reality is there aren't enough lifeboats for the taxpayers and any lifeboats there are are rewarded to any illegal woman or child. Everyone knows how the story ends."

Robin wrote on January 08, 2007 9:57 AM:"This plan is wrong!!!! If we are going to give free medical to anyone it whould be legal citizens BEFORE the illegal aliens. Anyone that doesn't think this will add to the invasion is CA is not thinking."

TonyD wrote on January 08, 2007 10:42 AM:"As a Democrat, I think expanding affordable healthcare to children in families that are part of the working poor is absolutely welcome regardless of who touts this, Schwarzenneger, Perata or whomever. As a "moderate" Democrat, I would hope that Schwarzenneger or Perata come to a workable comprise on whether or not to extend affordable healthcare to children whose working poor parents are illegal aliens. One idea: expand healthcare to all children a la Schwarzenneger-Perata, and leave it up to counties to determine if they want to allow illgal alien children to access the program. Maybe in LA or the San Francisco Bay Area, letting illegal alien children access the expanded healthcare program is not a big deal, whereas in Ventura County or other place, it is."

no name wrote on January 08, 2007 10:45 AM:"I agree with everyone that says this is wrong. However, if I could suggest something. Not only should we voice our opinion here on NCT, but email the Arnie too. I am sure he is not sitting in his office reading the NCT. He needs to hear our voices too."

Way To Go wrote on January 08, 2007 11:17 AM:"Isn't it convenient that this issue comes up after Arnold has been re-elected and sworn into office! Being a good politician he didn't dare whisper a word of having such plans prior to last year's election. Hope that all of you that feel that it is wrong to even consider providing illegals one cent of support keep this in mind when it comes time to vote again."

Randy wrote on January 08, 2007 11:25 AM:"The cost of the program may be covered by reducing the cost of general welfare."

Discover wrote on January 08, 2007 11:33 AM:"If this will be used as a method to discover and deport more illegal aliens then it is a good plan. They should also use the schools as points to discover illegals for deportation. What we all really need is a low cost national health insurance plan. "

To fedup wrote on January 08, 2007 11:39 AM:"It's because of the 14th amendment, we must repeal it. In the meantime nobody should pay medical bills for their kids, I heard they can't charge interest on delinquent medical bills so if you decide to pay later, you'll have saved money after adjustment for inflation. "

The US-Mexico Social Security Totalization Agreement wrote on January 08, 2007 11:43 AM:"The Totalization Agreement will allow millions of illegal Mexican workers to collect billions of Social Security dollars, whether they are living in the US or living in Mexico. Mind you these Social Security benefits for earnings will be paid under fraudulent or "non-work authorized" Social Security numbers. "

Angela wrote on January 08, 2007 11:45 AM:"I was wrong when I wrote about another article "We are being invaded and our government is doing nothing". I could not have been more wrong. Our government is encouraging the invasion with open arms. The question is - how long can Californias continue to fund this crap? Many of us are ready to leave..."

bvv wrote on January 08, 2007 11:47 AM:"I wonder how many of those posting comments on this story have called the Gov's office to register your opinion? Go online for contact numbers in San Diego or Sacramento. I sending an e-mail put your opinion [NO, YES on meds for illegals]on the subject line, as busy staffers don't read every message."

Frustrated in CA wrote on January 08, 2007 11:48 AM:"Apparently American Citizens want a fast track for Illegal aliens to become citizens. American citizens want to share their country with criminals who broke all the rules. In fact the longer the Illegal alien has successfully broken tour laws the easier it will be for him to become a citizen. How do I know that? Because that is what Senator McCain and Senator Kennedy said, and their polls reflect this."

Ingrid wrote on January 08, 2007 11:49 AM:"I'll bet Edward enjoyed writing this story. It won't be long now before we are called El Mexico Norte de California."

Pedro wrote on January 08, 2007 11:52 AM:"We're taking back California bit by bit. We are over coming you, just relax, it won't hurt that bad."

Adam wrote on January 08, 2007 11:52 AM:"In a sense this is probably a good plan as the Illegals are reintroducing Tuberculosis, measles, mumps, leprosy, and whooping cough to name a few. We at least have to try to protect the American public."

Steven wrote on January 08, 2007 11:59 AM:"Californians and everyone else nationwide will adopt the "let's not step on anyone's toes" attitude and this problem will spread. It will not get better, no matter what we do. It's all about re-election. I just moved to the west slope over here in Colorado and discovered that the problem beat my move. Construction is abundant and now the cheap labor is as well. It's pathetic and heartbreaking. Maybe once the gangbangers start tagging trees and using deer for target practice, the locals over here will understand what kind of mess is in store."

David wrote on January 08, 2007 12:11 PM:"It is in our best interest to provide immunizations to the children of illegal immigrants. Apparently their own countries do not desire to take care of their own citizens so it would be a very big step toward ensuring that legal United States citizens are not infected with TB and the various other diseases that these people bring in from their countries of origin. However, it is not the responsibility of the California tax payer to foot the bill for it. If these people are not capable of paying for their own vaccinations like the California taxpayer must then we need to send the bill to their country of origin for payment. Now, everyone knows that Mexico and the other host countries do not have any respect for their own people or possess a principle of honor to fund the programs within the United States to care for their own people. If they did, they would at least provide a source of revenue for medical and education benefits their people are using. But, we are talking about Mexico and we all know what a useless, third world abomination it is. Therefore if the California leadership feels that we need to continue to provide these services to the illegal immigrants then we need to increase the import and export taxes on all products going into and out of these countries to pay for it or the United States needs to cut off foreign aid to these countries to an amount equal to the expenditures that the United States taxpayer is having to provide for the services these people use. It is time for California and the United States as a whole to start worrying about the legal United States citizens and holding these foreign nations accountable for their illegal immigrants. "

Perplexed? wrote on January 08, 2007 12:11 PM:"I "Googled" California health care, and found a couple dozen stories relating to Arnold's new health plan. Only one media outlet had the word's "Illegal Aliens" (illegal immigrant) in the Title. Hmmm I wonder who could have wrote that story."

Skip wrote on January 08, 2007 12:13 PM:"I sent my letter to Arnold yesterday, just as I have every week for the last year. I did not vote for hism this time either."

jay wrote on January 08, 2007 12:26 PM:"This is total bull **** !! Ok I am a hard working Real American and a veteran yet I have no Health coverage and if I do get it I will pay thru the nose for it! I am ready to hit the streets and protest this garbage ! Real americans deserve heatlth care not illegals!! No matter what the age!"

Roberto wrote on January 08, 2007 12:29 PM:"To TonyD - As a United States citizen it is a big deal to me regardless of where. These people are criminals an do not have a right to health care, education or anything else at my expense. They have their own countries that they are so proud of (and so quick to leave). Let them pay for it. "

Un Freakin Believeable..... wrote on January 08, 2007 12:29 PM:"I can't believe some of the comments people are leaving regarding "christianity" and that our governor is a good Christian by providing health care to families who break the law to begin with. UM HELLO??!! Wait a minute here. Where is the "christianity" in that? One of the 10 commandments is "Thou Shall Not Steal". Well, if these illegals are NOT stealing from us by sneaking into our country and 'stealing' health care benefits that should be provided to hard working Californian's, then what are they doing?! Bottom line is this: ALL YOU ILLEGALS OUT THERE--QUIT BEING LAZY, GET YOUR BUTT INTO THE PROCESS AND BECOME LEGAL IF YOU WANT TO BE HERE!!! OTHERWISE, GET OUT OF THE USA!!! "

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/01 ... ogcomments

In a way, I hope he does give all of them health insurance. Maybe they will leave Nevada and go to Calif.
    Why don't he just give them Calif? It would be cheaper or even better deport them back to their own countries. More freebies and more will come. Just great Arnold. What else are we going to give them? The whole country?
    The taxpayer will foot the bill.
    I just told him what I think of his plan and what he can do with it. Now I've got to go into my room and ask forgiveness from God.

U.S.A.- for legal citizens, not illegals!
    Amnesty Arnie is out of his mind. I will never support him in anything he does.
    The National Council of LaRaza is the largest*hate group.

Most Commented-On
    Stories This Week

NORTH COUNTY TIMES

http://www.nctimes.com/opinion/

Report: 40 percent of county's Medi-Cal births to illegal immigrants (159)
    Schwarzenegger health reform would cover illegal immigrant children (106)
    Chargers eye possible stadium site in Oceanside (97)
    Oceanside has mixed feelings about Chargers possibly coming to city (67)
    Letters to the Editor - 1/2/2007 (5
    Letters to the Editor - 1/8/2007 (57)
    War protesters hold silent vigil for fallen troops (4
    Area's first baby born at Rancho Springs Medical Center (36)
    Homeless shelter issue coming back to Escondido City Council (34)
    Letters to the Editor - 1/7/2007 (34)

Skip wrote on January 08, 2007 4:58 PM:"Imangine that! This story and yesterdays story about Medi-Cal births to Illegal Aliens will top out the "MOST COMMENTED STORIES OF THE WEEK' section. It appears that this topic is even more important then Football (Chargers Move to Oceanside). I think people, a whole lot of people, especially California people, are really getting pissed off at our politicians giving away California and the United States, to Illegal Aliens from foreign countries. Just wait for the Amnesty story to break, and see what happens neext."

I do not believe that illegals cannot pay for health insurance. If they can buy the cars and trucks they drive, they can buy health insurance. But why should they when they can get it free by going into emergency rooms and county clinics.

POSTS OF THE DAY

Reardon wrote on January 08, 2007 6:46 PM:"Anything you subsidize, you get more of...and anything you tax you get less of. So the plan is to get more illegal aliens and fewer taxpaying American citizens? I guess if that is the answer, I don't understand the question!"

Come on all you taxpayers, let's sing! wrote on January 08, 2007 5:59 PM:"It's a world of laughter A world of tears, It's a world of hopes And a world of fears, There's so much that we share, That it's time we're aware It's a small world after all. There is just one moon And one golden sun, And a smile means Friendship to ev'ryone, Though the mountains divide And the oceans are wide, It's a small world after all. It's a small world after all, It's a small world after all, It's a small world after all, It's a small, small world. "

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/01 ... 190830.txt

You know, when Arnold first became Governor of Ca, I thought maybe he might be good for CA, now, my only feelings on the matter can be said in 5 words.
    HE NEEDS TO BE TERMINATED!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Governor unveils major health insurance reform

By: EDWARD SIFUENTES - Staff Writer
    North County Times
    January 8, 2007

NORTH COUNTY -- Although many praised Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's efforts to take the lead on health care reform, business groups, health advocates and some Republican lawmakers criticized aspects of a sweeping plan announced Monday that would require all Californians to have health insurance and would extend coverage to more low-income children, including those who are in the country illegally.

The state has about 6.5 million uninsured residents.

The plan asks government, businesses, individuals, insurance companies, hospitals and doctors to share in the cost of coverage for the uninsured. But it also provides incentives, such as exemptions for smaller businesses, subsidies for individuals and more money for doctors and hospitals.

"Prices for health care and insurance are rising twice as fast as inflation, twice as fast as wages," the governor said in a broadcast announcing the plan. "That is a terrible drain on everyone and it is a drain on our economy. My solution is that everyone in California must have insurance. If you can't afford it, the state will help you buy it, but everyone must be insured."

Under the plan, individuals would be required to carry health insurance, but many of the state's poorest people would be covered under Medi-Cal, the state's Healthy Families Program or a state health insurance pool.

The state would subsidize the estimated 1.2 million low-income people who do not currently qualify for coverage under Medi-Cal. They would be able to buy insurance through a state-run pool and will have to make a small contribution toward their premiums.

All uninsured children whose families earn less than 300 percent of the federal poverty level -- or up to $60,000 for a family of four -- would be eligible for state subsidized coverage programs. The plan would include children in the country illegally.

Another proposal in the governor's plan would require all businesses with 10 or more workers to offer insurance or pay 4 percent of their payrolls into a state fund that would provide insurance for them.

Some business groups said the proposal could hurt small businesses and drive others out of the state.

"Everyone is saying the devil is in the details, but there are a few inherent concerns. ...One is that small businesses don't pay more than their fair share," said Jim Conran, a spokesman for the California Small Business Health Coalition, which opposes state requirements forcing small businesses to provide health coverage.

Assembly Republican leader Mike Villines said in a statement that he opposed requiring businesses to pay taxes in lieu of providing health insurance.

"Imposing a new jobs tax on employers of any size and expanding costly government mandates is the wrong approach, one which will devastate our economy," Villines said. "We continue to agree with the governor's statements in 2004, when he argued that a new jobs tax will be a job killer and force many businesses to lay off workers, move out of state or close their doors for good."

The plan also drew strong reaction from those who oppose state benefits for illegal immigrants. Several local Republican lawmakers, including state Sen. Mark Wyland, R-Carlsbad, said they would oppose enrolling illegal immigrants in state-funded health programs.

"I don't think we should be asking citizens to cover benefits for those who are here illegally," Wyland said.

Acknowledging that covering illegal immigrants is a controversial proposal, Schwarzenegger said federal law already requires hospitals to accept everyone, regardless of immigration status, into their emergency rooms. He said preventive care would help reduce expensive emergency room costs.

"There is no debate about whether to provide medical care to people who are in California illegally," Schwarzenegger said. "I know this is controversial, but federal law requires us to treat anyone who shows up at an emergency room in need of care. So, the decision for my team was, do we treat them in emergency rooms at the highest cost available or do we do it right and do it efficiently?"

Health care advocates said providing coverage for children should not be bogged down by arguments over immigration. According to some estimates, children in low-income families make up about 750,000 of the state's uninsured population and are among the most cost-effective to insure.

"If we can get beyond the argument on who is documented and who is undocumented, we can get going, rolling up our sleeves and get to work," said Irma Cota, chief executive officer of North County Health Services, a network of community clinics based in San Marcos and serving predominantly low-income and uninsured patients.

Kim Belshe, Schwarzenegger's health secretary, said just as everyone benefits from a healthy work force, everyone should share in the cost.

"Fixing our broken health care system requires changes from all of us, individuals, government, doctors and hospitals, insurance and employers," she said.

Belshe said $10 billion to $15 billion in new money, including increased Medi-Cal rates, would go to doctors and hospitals under Schwarzenegger's plan.

Schwarzenegger is betting that his plan will save $10 billion to $15 billion a year by cutting health care costs and redirecting money already in the system. He said the savings will offset the new fees he is asking doctors and hospitals to pay.

Hospitals would have to pay 4 percent of their revenues, while doctors will pay 2 percent. The state also would increase what it pays doctors and hospitals through Medi-Cal, which is widely seen as woefully underfunded.

-- The Associated Press contributed to this story. Contact staff writer Edward Sifuentes at (760) 740-3511 or esifuentes@nctimes.com.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/01 ... ogcomments

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.
    Alex wrote on January 08, 2007 11:04 PM:"Good for California. Great plan!"

CC wrote on January 08, 2007 11:21 PM:"Notice he is doing this after the election. Right before the election he was doing all kinds of things that Californians actually wanted so that he could get re-elected. Angelides dropped like a rock after he won the primary and then announced plans for socialized medicine in California. "

American Mike wrote on January 09, 2007 12:14 AM:"Why don't we all just move to Venezuela? Socialism is on its way. Someone in Escondido is going to make a killing carrying state issued baby strollers for the illegals. What’s next, an illegal baby stroller lane next to the bike lane? Let the Mayor tear down the Boys club and build an illegal baby stroller parking lot in its place. Damn place has been there since I was a kid, and provided experience 35 years ago that helped me through my career. Of course the illegals don’t have to have an education, nor the need to speak English, so what the heck, just give it all away. Arnold, and Mrs. Mayor, may the oil stains from thousands old Chebbys stain your driveways. What a couple of deadbeat Americans. The sad thing is, no one reading this can do anything about the problem. It’s something our legal American grandchildren will have to deal with and we’ll be long dead gone while the politicians now reap the salsa and menudo benefits. It’s time for a Northern and Southern California, and the nits in Sacramento and San Francisco should be relocated to the border towns. Keep my job, keep my benefits, keep my livelihood and meager middle class existence alive! To arms Americans, to arms!. "

Jimbo wrote on January 09, 2007 12:30 AM:"Rather than cover illegals, why not concentrate on deporting them."

M wrote on January 09, 2007 12:41 AM:"Decent idea, but a pipe dream. There is no way the state can force everyone to get insurance -- what the plan fails to account for is that a large number of the uninsured are part of the "shadow economy" - and even if the costs were reasonable, those individuals do not want to come into the light."

Health care for illegals wrote on January 09, 2007 12:49 AM:"Once treated in the ER an illegal alien must be deported. Treat and Deport should be California's new policy. "

Nicole wrote on January 09, 2007 1:42 AM:"I don't think its fair for us citizens to have to pay for undocumented peoples' healthcare! I shell out a lot of money each month for my family's healthcare and I resent that the extrememly poor, undocumented ILLEGAL immigrants get away with getting insurance for free or almost free! I think it will drive many businesses away and some businesses may cut their benefits so that the state can pick up the slack (does anybody remember recently reading about Wal- Mart doing exactly that)? "

Floyd wrote on January 09, 2007 1:44 AM:"Instead of requiring health insurance for all within California, why doesn't the state just extend it's existing health care plans (Medi-Cal, et. al) to everyone for an affordable fee? When I pay my health costs out of my pocket, the cost is $2,000 per year. When I am covered by health insurance, the monthly premium (split between me and my employer) is $800/month or $9,600.00 per year -- and that doesn't count co-pays and deductibles. To lower the cost of health care, eliminate the insurance entirely and you'll see the cost drops drastically. "

Veritas wrote on January 09, 2007 2:10 AM:"And lets give the illegals, drivers licenses because they here drive too. Viva Calmexico! ps throw in SS cards so they won't have to steal them. Another problem solved. "

Paul wrote on January 09, 2007 3:47 AM:"Creeping socialism. 50 years ago we had a very good medical system, but Lawyers, insurance companies, doctors, and patients are all to blame for this mess."

Ron wrote on January 09, 2007 4:46 AM:"Where does the Goven-nator think all this money is going to come from? That's right, ultimately the taxpayer. When hospitals have to pay 4% toward this, the consumers bills of that hospital's services will go up 4%, and so on. "

John wrote on January 09, 2007 5:39 AM:"Great more taxes. Welcome to the Socialist Republic of California."

David wrote on January 09, 2007 6:25 AM:"Once again our political machine has tried to use the term "kids" to try and sway us into agreeing with their ideas. I for one (and I know I’m not alone) will work hard not to allow our country to get beyond the argument on who is documented and who is undocumented. It is a major issue that needs to be resolved in a way that benefits the United States and her legal citizens and doesn’t reward those who break our laws or the foreign nations they come from. All you are doing by supporting this plan is rewarding the criminal and punishing the citizen."

From Democrat-Robert wrote on January 09, 2007 6:33 AM:"True its a plan, but the devil is in the details and coverage for illigals will doom its chances for success as millions more will pour across the border!"

Concerned Citizen wrote on January 09, 2007 6:43 AM:"The illegal children should be in Mexico and begging from that government. I am so sick of illegals taking from real citizens!"

cb wrote on January 09, 2007 7:06 AM:"Amazing how "some groups" oppose this measure, a measure that would ultemately tryly benefit ALL of us in the state. Not surprisingly these groups include so-called "conservatives", healthcare corporations, etc. I can just see it. These groups are going to take advantage of the ignorant and xenephobic bigots (many in this comment section) and oppose this measure "because it benefits them 'illegals". Sad how hate and bigotry truly gets in the way of reasoning. "

Reasonable to require that all be insured wrote on January 09, 2007 8:00 AM:"I support the idea that all Californians should be required to be insured. The current system was leading to a "death spiral" where the insured subsidize the uninsured, thereby raising the rates for the insured, thereby reducing the number of insured, and so on. I also support the idea of requiring those employers who don't provide health insurance to pay into a pool for their employees. "

Liz wrote on January 09, 2007 8:19 AM:"Because God forbid we should hold wealthy roofing company owners, painting contractors and the like responsible for paying taxes on their legal employees, let alone offering insurance benefits to them and their families. Enjoy the cheap labor and your Wal-Mart shopping - just realize you WILL pay for your greed one way or another."

RG wrote on January 09, 2007 8:22 AM:"I agree with Mark Wyland who said: "I don't think we should be asking citizens to cover benefits for those who are here illegally". The proposal seems to me to be one more incentive for foreigners to break the law by coming into our country illegally. Why encourage these people to thumb their noses at us and our laws? If their culture is to have a bunch of kids, they should have them and raise them in their own country. Mexico needs to be fixed. We should not be providing ways for their people to to avoid that need."

Vista Citizen wrote on January 09, 2007 8:24 AM:"Arnold the turncoat has gone from semi-conservitive to socialist to pander to the immigration vote, lobbies and pols. The only people that will pay for this are taxpayers with higher health insurance rates and higher taxes. Businesses and citizens moved out of state due to excessive expenses in the eightys and ninties and will do it again if punished by California government."

Vista Citizen wrote on January 09, 2007 8:26 AM:"Arnold the turncoat has gone from semi-conservative to socialist to pander to the immigration vote, lobbies and pols. The only people that will pay for this are taxpayers with higher health insurance rates and higher taxes. Businesses and citizens moved out of state due to excessive expenses in the eighties and nineties and will do it again if punished by California government. "

Charity begins at Home wrote on January 09, 2007 8:36 AM:"Why would we WANT to extend health care coverage to illegals? That will only encourage most poor latin American countries to send more. Let's get a plan in place to take care of our own before we open our purses to the world. We don't even have a very good delivery system yet for our own mentally ill, disabled and elderly and we're opening up the floodgates to the world? Arnie, we aren't a rich enough state to undertake such a grandiose plan!"

Concerned wrote on January 09, 2007 8:49 AM:"So there it is. The federal government requires anyone to be treated in the ER. That said, they should bare the burden of cost. And, of course, if they would crack down on employers, enforce the law, and protect our borders, then we would have fewer illegal aliens to treat. It's a federal problem! Okay Dems, what are you going to do about it?"

Reardon wrote on January 09, 2007 8:50 AM:"Fortunately for the State government, only three languages are spoken in North, Central, and South America. That means only three signs saying, "Come one, come all" can cover the offer of free medical care for the continent. We already give free education, but the oceans have given us some protection...."

California Resident wrote on January 09, 2007 8:52 AM:"WHY ARE WE PAYING FOR THE ILLEGALS. Suck your head out. I have to pay for my own insurance for medical they should too!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET REAL ARNOLD!!!"

Mary wrote on January 09, 2007 9:30 AM:"This appears to be a good way to kill a small business and send them to another state. Another tax for a business to pay......coverage for those who are not legally here and should not be employed in the first place. California needs to concentrate on closing the borders and enforcing the employment and immigration laws. This social benefit will serve to increase the flow of illegals to our state. Mexico should reimburse us for these medical costs. "

Concerned Voter wrote on January 09, 2007 9:43 AM:"The governor got the priority wrong. He should get rid of all illegal immigrants and then we can talk about health care. So he is enticing more illegal to come here because of health insurance coverage. This is insane and I am not going to put up with this kind of nonsense. Maybe we should have a free state program to brain wash all the socialists, liberals and communists that there is a big price tag attached with social programs. But then, this is again in itself a oxymoron. "

Great Idea wrote on January 09, 2007 9:43 AM:"I think a better idea would be for Arnold himself to cover all the illegals expenses. Now that I can live with. Adios!"

Ricardo wrote on January 09, 2007 9:44 AM:"Great, another unfunded mandate. Who's going to pay for this? Not AHHnold, but those of us who actually have jobs. Thanks Arnie!"

Ron wrote on January 09, 2007 9:51 AM:"Wait a second.... Didn't the State pass a law that "every" driver should have car insurance? How's that one doing? Couple years ago, I got creamed by an illegal, he caused a 4 car accident by trying to use the shoulder next to the center divide. I'm sitting there in stopped traffic, minding my own business, and BLAM!!! All the CHP did was cite him, and haul his car off. For the rest of us (and one car was completely totalled) we were left to deal with our own insurance companies. And get this... they guy had a P.O. Box on his license as his address. I was floored."

To CC: wrote on January 09, 2007 10:22 AM:"Those were my thoughts also. I don't believe that the Governator would have stood any chance at reelection if he had put this on the table before the voters took to the polls."

Ray wrote on January 09, 2007 10:24 AM:"I will not subscribe to it, pay for it or in any way accept it as long as illegal aliens get freebies."

Veritas wrote on January 09, 2007 10:29 AM:"...let's be a little fair now. We must give them voting rights also. But wait a minute, since we're going to also end up providing their driver's license then we must all pitch in and assist in their auto insurance payments."

Not paying for Illegals wrote on January 09, 2007 10:41 AM:"We work hard, obey the laws and pay taxes. I'm curious as to what portion of my paid taxes are used to support illegal aliens? If I were to find this number, would our government allow me to choose not to contribute to funding the illegal lifestle of free education, healthcare, and other social services? I am all for paying my taxes to support American citizens, but I just wonder if I would have the option of NOT paying my fair share? Would I go to jail or be fined for not paying for supporting Illegal aliens? As an American citizen, should I not have this option? What if all American citizens were given this option? Would our elected officials still be so generous to Illegals? Can't we please give our hard earend money to Americans? Why don't we, the people, come first?"

American Taxpayer wrote on January 09, 2007 10:52 AM:"I seem to remember an American man who DIED in Mexico a few years ago while his family struggled helplessly to raise money because he was so seriously ill and the Mexican's (following THEIR laws) wouldn't transfer him to an American hospital until HE PAID HIS BILL at the Mexican hospital he was taken to after his accident. HOW DARE the Governor hijack American taxpayers money to pay for medical benefits for illegals who creep over the border like vermin and show NO RESPECT for our country or our laws? Breeding Democrats for the Kennedy family? I voted for Schwartenegger but never again!"

Skip wrote on January 09, 2007 11:06 AM:"Joel Fox, president of the Small Business Action Committee, warned of "unintended consequences" of the package. Will the package work as a magnet? Yes, he answered. And: "It doesn't necessarily mean we're talking about people from Mexico. It could be people from Nevada, too.""

Mimi wrote on January 09, 2007 11:30 AM:" 5 million of our older Americans have not signed up yet for their Medicare, Part D, drug plan------they are old and confused. We are NOT going to grant them an extension. However, 12 million illegal aliens are in our country and we are going to allow them to stay, protest, procreate, receive support monies, attend schools, avoid paying income taxes, have our teachers take 300 hours of ESL(English as a Second Language) training at our expense, etc. WE MUST REALLY DISLIKE OUR OLD PEOPLE...... "

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast