Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

See if your ansestors came through Ellis Island

This link starts with Ellis Island, you can find history on all ethnisities, cultures, where there came from,relationship, what culture your true last name came from.
    Theres just about every thing here.
    You can also build a family tree on this site.

http://www.ancestry.com/microsite/immig ... o_it=22129
    ------------------------

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    A genealogy freak here! Yeah I have seen this site. Not a single one of mine came through it though, they were here a while before Ellis Island.

This site is great though, as you can see actual scans of the original documents. I looked on this for my husbands family, it was interesting.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Mine did, my name is on several bricks there, I am a member of the Ellis island immigrants society !!!
    I will always Stand by the Eagle, I will never betray the Eagle, I am loyal to the Eagle!

Mine did. Found the name

I've search the site for my family but didn't find anything, my family came from Scotland and I have tried finding records over there but so far have only found where my Grandparents are buried.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Mountaindog, it depends on when they came. Ellis Island was really used for a limited time in our history. My fathers one set of grandparents who did come through NY, it was another location, it was the day Lincoln was assasinated.

There were a lot of ports of entry via Canada too, check those.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thanks Liz, My dads family came over sometime in the 30"s and my Moms was already in Canada, they met later when my Mom moved to the US, I have paper work on them including my Dads citizenship papers that he got during the War.
    Finding a paper trail over in Scotland is hard though but I have found a little bit so far, some of it costs more than I can afford.
    But I know that I am a first generation American and the son of a Scottish Highlander who served in the US Army during WWII and I was with the US Marines in Nam, I may wear my family kilt from time to time but I do so carrying the Stars and stripes.
    The Scots who fought in WWII wore kilts and they were known as the Ladies from hell.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

My fathers was from either Scotland or England, but we do not know yet, they were here in the early 1700's, and his grandmother maidens name was Cummings, we think she was "Scotts-Irish". My mothers came in 1634, they were all Acadians, and then Mi'qmaks mixed in after their arrival in "New France".

The only ancestor that came later was one of his and they were from Prussia, as I mentioned before.

Believe it or not, it has been easier to find my mothers ancestors than my fathers. Maternal is usually a lot harder to track down, but hers were all Roman Catholic, and they kept impeccable records, even way back then.

My fathers were all Reformers, and they kept NO records, they just believed in living right, and dying righteous, no need for records!!LOL