Like Tree7Likes

Thread: SEIU chief says Trump can win

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

SEIU chief says Trump can win

By ELIZA COLLINS 01/07/16 11:30 AM EST

The head of the Service Employees International Union is worried about what Donald Trump is stirring up in her 2.1 million members, because she thinks he can win.

In an interview with David Axelrod out Thursday, Mary Kay Henry said her organization is going into “hyperdrive” to stand up against Trump because she sees him as a real threat.

Henry compared Trump to former California Gov. Pete Wilson who supported Proposition 226, a measure strongly opposed by unions that would have required them to get approval from individual members to spend their dues on political campaigns.

“This ad that Trump released today is horrific in my mind and reminds me of Pete Wilson in California on Proposition 226,” Henry said, likely referring to Trump's first TV ad talking about building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border and a proposal to ban Muslims from entering the U.S.

"But Pete Wilson won,” Axelrod said.

"I know. I know. That’s why I think this is a very dangerous political moment in our country,” Henry said. She added that she thinks Trump appeals to some of her members because of the “terrible anxiety” some people in the working class are experiencing.

“I think he’s touching this vein of the terrible anxiety that working-class people feel about their current status, but more importantly, how terrified they are for their kids not being able to do as well as they have, never mind doing better,” Henry said. “ You know, so that broken sense of the future and that emotion having an easier appeal to fear than to what’s possible is what we found is why — we’re doing one-on-ones with every one of our members right now in this period because 64 percent of our public members identify as conservative and are much more interested in the Republican debate than the Democratic debate at this moment.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...y-henry-217445
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"I know. I know. That’s why I think this is a very dangerous political moment in our country,” Henry said. She added that she thinks Trump appeals to some of her members because of the “terrible anxiety” some people in the working class are experiencing.

“I think he’s touching this vein of the terrible anxiety that working-class people feel about their current status, but more importantly, how terrified they are for their kids not being able to do as well as they have, never mind doing better,” Henry said. “ You know, so that broken sense of the future and that emotion having an easier appeal to fear than to what’s possible is what we found is why — we’re doing one-on-ones with every one of our members right now in this period because 64 percent of our public members identify as conservative and are much more interested in the Republican debate than the Democratic debate at this moment.”
    Just remember SEIU Members. No matter what arm-wrestling your union officials try to impose on you, you are free and ballots are secret.

Can unions do that? I didn't even know union officials could do these "one on ones" to try to convert members to vote for a particular candidate. I thought the members were supposed to tell the officials who to endorse. Apparently the union endorsed Hillary without checking with its members! Sounds highly illegal to me.
    Last edited by Judy; 01-08-2016 at 07:26 AM.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Good! Im glad the illegal immigrant backing thugs over at SEIU are scared.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC View Post
    Good! Im glad the illegal immigrant backing thugs over at SEIU are scared.

W
    But note the members of the SEIU are supporting Trump and it's their Officials that are scared.

Another reason for SEIU and all unions to endorse Donald Trump, protected trade positions that ensure balanced or surplus trade that is beneficial to American Workers instead of free trade treason that stacks the deck against our country and workers like we have now:

Donald Trump favours high tariffs on Chinese exports

7 January 2016

Presidential candidate Donald Trump supports a hefty export tariffs on Chinese goods coming into the US.

He said he supports a 45% tax on Chinese goods to address the trade imbalance between the US and China.

The Republican frontrunner told the New York Times: "I would do a tax and the tax, let me tell you what the tax should be … the tax should be 45%."

Mr Trump said he would expect China to impose its own tax on US goods in retaliation.

China is the second biggest single trading partner to the US and is expected to overtake Canada for the top spot this year.

Importers of Chinese products into the US are charged a tariff based on the type of good.

This isn't the first time Donald Trump has proposed slapping heavy tariffs on imports.

In 2011, the billionaire businessman told the Wall Street Journal that all Chinese imports should have a 25% tariff. He insists that China has an unfair advantage over the US.

Regardless of the merits of Mr Trump's claim, there's no doubt he speaks to a widespread and entrenched fear among American voters.

They've long been certain that their jobs will be "lost" to China, and they can always find plenty of "made in China" labels to validate that assumption.

But with China's market chaos wreaking havoc on Wall Street, along with every other financial centre, the irony is that American voters might do better to be worried for China than about it.

Mr Trump has spoken about the Chinese-US economic relationship throughout his campaign.

In November he released a plan to address the relationship between the countries.

The plan included lowering the US corporate tax rate, but not this latest proposal of a 45% tax on Chinese goods.

In October, the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) agreement was reached between 12 nations including the US and several Asian countries, but not China.

The free-trade deal raised questions about whether US importers would move production from China to countries like Vietnam to avoid taxation on goods sent to the US.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35258620

Until we pass the FairTax which has a built-in 23% sales tax on all retail goods and service consumption, that taxes imports the same as domestic companies in addition to any tariffs still on the books but exempts our USA made exports since the sales aren't finalized here but in another country, raising tariffs on imports from countries where we have a trade deficit to balance that deficit is necessary and the correct thing to do.

People who will argue against that are the free traders who will say it will start Trade Wars. Well, these are not actual wars, this is simple business competition between countries that results in balanced trade so that all nations benefit from international trade as it should be, rather than being harmed by it as we are now under tariff-free trade policies.
    Last edited by Judy; 01-08-2016 at 06:02 AM.

MW
    Which is it, Donald Trump, are you for free trade or protected trade? Trump appears to be playing both sides, which makes me question his integrity on the issue. Is he just playing both sides so he can leave himself and opening to flop whichever way the political winds are blowing?

"I love free trade," Donald Trump said at the Fox Business Republican presidential debate Tuesday night. "I'm a free trader, 100 percent!"

protection

(<acronym title="Google Page Ranking"><acronym title="Google Page Ranking"><acronym title="Google Page Ranking">pr</acronym></acronym></acronym>əˈtɛkʃən)n1. the act of protecting or the condition of being protected
    2. something that protects
    3. (Economics)a. the imposition of duties or quotas on imports, designed for the protection ofdomestic industries against overseas competition, expansion of domesticemployment, etc
    b. Also called: protectionism the system, policy, or theory of such restrictions.

free trade

n1. (Economics) international trade that is free of such government interference as import quotas, export subsidies, protective tariffs, etc.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Trump is only a "real threat" to the greedy union leaders. All they really care about is adding more dues paying members, wherever they can get them. At least in other times, union bosses were standing up for their membership and opposing immigration. Guess it's every man (or woman) for himself.

Sure, there will always be a number of wanna be union bosses that parrot the line. Most members realize the hazard of illegal immigration---if not just to the reputation and quality of their work, then to the insidious inroads illegals are making everywhere. Most people don't want to rock the boat but when they see the fast food place or the landscape crews or the unskilled labor groups staffed by all illegals, somehow, they have to notice there is an AGENDA!
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Union Workers Backing Donald Trump? SEIU Head Says Republican Appeals To Working Clas

Union Workers Backing Donald Trump? SEIU Head Says Republican Appeals To Working Class Members

BY CRISTINA SILVA ON 01/07/16 AT 3:35 PM

Audience members hold up signs for U.S. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump to autograph at a campaign rally in Claremont, New Hampshire, Jan. 5, 2016.
    PHOTO: REUTERS

One of the nation's most influential labor union says it revving up its fight against Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump to keep him out of the White House. Mary Kay Henry, president of the Service Employees International Union, said she has directed her 2.1 million members to help defeat the business mogul who has won over many working-class voters.

In an interview with David Axelrod on his podcast "The Axe Files," out Thursday, Henry said her organization is going into “hyperdrive” because Trump appeals to some of her members because of the “terrible anxiety” some people in the working class feel. "This is a very dangerous political moment in our country,” she said. “I think he’s touching this vein of the terrible anxiety that working-class people feel about their current status, but more importantly, how terrified they are for their kids not being able to do as well as they have, never mind doing better."

Henry said she was working to persuade union members that Trump would not represent their best interests. "We’re doing one-on-ones with every one of our members right now in this period, because 64 percent of our public members identify as conservative and are much more interested in the Republican debate than the Democratic debate at this moment," she said, according to Politico.

The union endorsed Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton in November. At the time, Henry said that, “Hillary Clinton has proven she will fight, deliver and win for working families. SEIU members and working families across America are part of a growing movement to build a better future for their families, and Hillary Clinton will support and stand with them."

SEIU leaders have been vocal about their views on Trump in the past. In November, the union launched an ad campaign accusing Republican presidential candidates, including Trump, of attacking immigrants. “Now it’s time for our community to say no. We will not accept hate. We will not allow anti-immigrant attacks,” said a male narrator in the 30-second ad.

http://www.ibtimes.com/union-workers...-class-2255506

Oh Jean, this is so so good! These poor union members have been sold out by their union leaders for years. I'm so glad Trump is reaching them. I hope they continue to listen to Trump and not their crooked union officials.

SEIU Union Leader: My Blue-Collar Members Support Trump’s Message

by NEIL MUNRO
    8 Jan 2016
    238 comments

The far-left progressive leader of the huge SEIU union admits that many or most of her blue-collar members are sympathetic to Donald Trump’s pro-American populist message.

“I am deeply concerned about what is stirring, even in our membership… where our members are responding to Trump’s message,” she told David Axelrod, the chief campaign strategist for President Barack Obama’s election in 2008.

Can you see Trump winning the election? Axelrod asked. “Yea, I could, I could,” said Mary Kay Henry, the international president of the Service Employees International Union.

“Sixty-four percent of our public members identify as conservative, and are much more interested in the Republican debate than the Democratic debate at the moment,” she admitted.

“Our white conservative membership that we hear is responding to Trump’s appeal are more concentrated in the Midwest and the South,” she said. That’s critical, because the GOP candidate must do well in the Midwest to overcome the Democrats’ advantages in the immigration-heavy coastal states. That claim of support is backed up by a recent Democratic survey.

To stomp on Trump’s support, union’s leaders are personally pressuring the members, she said.

“We’re doing one-on-ones with every one of our members right now,” said Henry. “We’re going into hyperdrive, especially in the pockets of our membership that have a lot of Muslim leaders to stand against what is being said” by Trump, she said.

The interview was conducted Jan 4. The comments about Trump’s message are mostly just after the 40-minute mark.

Video at source link

Henry’s huge union claims a membership of roughly 2 million blue-collar workers, but is actually run by a professional cadre of far-left progressives. That leadership means the union’s priorities including many progressive goals, such as greater immigration, more federal regulation of police and boosting the Democrats’ power, beyond the labor-market task of fighting for wage and benefits increases for its members.

For example, Henry said getting citizenship for more migrants is a “core agenda” for the union, even though any inflow of unskilled migrants pushes down wages for blue-collar Americans. In 2013, for example, Obama added 2 million foreign workers to the U.S. economy, just as 4 million young Americans began looking for jobs.

Henry is typical of these university-trained leaders who exploit unionized workers to win progressive goals. She told Axelrod that she began her political life as a lesbian activist working with other union progressives, not as a blue-collar worker working with other Americans. She’s also a strong supporter of Hillary Clinton.

Trump is getting support, she admitted, because wages have been flat, and because “he’s touching this vein of the terrible anxiety that working-class people feel about their current status, but more importantly, how terrified they are for their kids, not being able to do as well as they have, never mind doing better.”

“That broken sense of the future… is what we found” when surveying members, she said.

Henry reserved her strongest criticism for Trump’s popular pro-American labor-force policies, which include the construction of border wall to stop the illegal migration of cheap foreign labor into Americans’ workplaces.

Those pro-American policies — previously pushed by former Sen. Rick Santorum, and now partially echoed by Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) — would reduce the supply of cheap labor, perhaps creating pressure to increase wages for Americans. But Henry insisted they’re “hate and divisiveness.”

Trump’s promise to build a wall against illegal migration “is horrific in my mind and reminds me of [GOP Gov.] Pete Wilson in California,” said Henry.

In 1994, Wilson support Proposition 187 to block state funding and support for illegal migrants. That measure was overwhelmingly approved by voters, including by many Latinos, and Wilson won his race for governor. But the popular law but stopped and then gradually choked to death in 1999 by an alliance of progressive activists, lawyers, judges and journalists, plus a new Democratic Governor.

“Pete Wilson won” his election, Axelrod noted.

“I know, I know, that’s why I think this is a very dangerous political moment for our country,” she responded.

Progressives are strong supporters of cheap-labor policies, partly because it increase the population of left-leaning immigrants. that policy has been spectacularly successful in California since the progressives stopped Proposition 187. The state now is dominated by the Democratic coalition, and has become one of the most economically unequal states in the union.

Henry’s deputies are telling their members that more government is the solution to their financial problems. “Your vote does matter because you can elect a politician that could take action that would make a difference on your wages, either through minimum wages or demanding wage boards,” she said. That is “the antidote to the fear that is being stoked,” by Trump , she said.

However, Henry’s promise of higher minimum wages comes packaged with a slew of progressive priorities — higher status for gays, more federal regulation to change the weather in 2040, and especially, more immigrants. Those extra migrants will compete for blue-collar and white-collar jobs, drive down wages so progressive union leaders become more important, crowd into unionized teachers’ classrooms, and eventually, get citizenship so they can vote for Democratic candidates to fundamentally transform the United States.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...01/08/2729682/