Leahy is obviously an Amnesty supporter and was very pro-S.1639.

Dear Friend:

Thank you for contacting me about comprehensive immigration reform. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

On June 28, the Senate voted to cut off debate on S. 1639, a bill to provide for comprehensive immigration reform, by a vote of 46 to 53. This vote fell 14 votes short of the 60 votes needed to cut off debate on the bill and move to a final vote. Although there is much earnest and emotional debate on both sides of the immigration issue, a majority of Americans favor the reforms to our immigration system contained in the Senate's bill. While I agree that this bipartisan proposal represented a good starting point for consideration, and though I voted to proceed to a final vote on the bill, I had concerns about several provisions that remained in the bill. For example, I was concerned about the Employment Eligibility Verification System. While I agree that employers should be held accountable and dissuaded from hiring illegal workers, I am not convinced the system in the bill adequately protects the privacy rights of Americans or represents a realistic solution to ending the employment of illegal workers.

The substitute bill that the Administration endorsed created a temporary worker program with no opportunity for workers to pursue the American dream. A temporary worker program with no opportunity to share in the promise of America creates an incentive for overstays and risks creating a new population of undocumented individuals just as we work so hard to bring millions of people out of the shadows of society. I had concerns about this component of the bill as well and voted in favor of amendments that sought to limit the extent of this program.

There were some positive aspects of the bill, however, that would have helped farmers in Vermont and across the country. For example, I worked to include an amendment that would have given dairy farmers better year-round access to future legal foreign workers if domestic workers were unavailable. Additionally, there were provisions in the bill that would have benefited Vermont 's seasonal businesses, which depend upon foreign workers to help during Vermont 's busy tourist seasons. Vermont 's farmers and other business owners should not be forced to choose between their livelihood and obeying the law, and this bill contained improvements that would have helped relieve this burden.

I agree that our immigration system is in need of reform, and I looked forward to passing a bill that would recognize the best of America and our values and the best of our traditions as a land of immigrants. I was disappointed that some in the Senate blocked progress on the bill. We need tough, fair, and realistic reforms that secure our borders, respect American workers, help our economy, and recognize the importance and value of strong families. Should immigration come before the Senate in the future, I will continue to work toward reforms that make our immigration system one that all Americans can be proud of. I encourage you to read my recent floor statement on immigration reform which is available on my website at http://leahy.senate.gov/press/200705/052107.html

Again, t hank you for contacting me. Please keep in touch.