Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

SEN. TESTER PUSHING COUNTRY OF ORIGIN LABELS:AG-JOBS

Senator Jon Tester of Montana, "one of the Senate's only farmers", and one of several Democrats who voted "No" to cloture on debate of the "DREAM Act" yesterday, also issued an Oct. 24 press release listing one of his three requirements for an adequate 2007 Farm Bill to be implementation of "COUNTRY OF ORIGIN LABELING (COOL)" for U.S. food. Such labeling is required under NAFTA, but has been put off by successive extensions from the U.S. Congress, although both Canada and Mexico now label ALL of their food products this way.

http://tester.senate.gov/, "Latest News", 10/24/2007, "Tester lends a farmer's perspective to 2007 Farm Bill":

"Tester has repeatedly said that an adequate Farm Bill must....finally implement a nationwide COUNTRY OF ORIGIN LABELLING (COOL) program.

"Tester has advocated COOL for the past ten years. Under his leadership in the State Senate, Montana implemented its own COOL program.

"'For too long big agri-business has stood in the way of COOL,' Tester said. 'It's about time the federal govenment steps up to the plate so folks know where the food on their dinner tables comes from.'"

Obviously Senator Tester knows first-hand of what he speaks, and was able to get this done at the state level! Those contacting other lawmakers about the "DREAM Act" and/or "AG-JOBS" amnesties may wish to consider adding their thoughts on this issue, too.

Senator Jon Tester, Montana
    Washington, DC:
    Telephone: (202) 224-2644
    FAX: (202) 224-8594
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'm in favor of COOL. It is not any huge imposition on any company selling products here to simply label where the product and/or ingredients come from. Good job Tester. I'm glad to see he's taking a responsible position with regard to corporate influence vs. public safety.

So far, he's proving to be a good senator!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I look at the labels in the produce section for where the food is coming from. After we had a major outbreak years ago from e coli tainted strawberries from Mexico, I look at everything.

JRB
    I just got done Blasting my Democratic Senator and Thanking my Republican Senator for the way they Voted Yesterday about the dream act. I also asked them to Vote NO on AgJobs and also LOST. Thanks for the heads up on the COOL legislation. I sure would like to know where my food comes from. Exspecially since I found out that less than 1% of the food imported is tested here in the United States. Makes you think dont it?

working4change
    I strongly support COOL. Let's hope it will be passed. No more farm raised seafood from China.