Same BS...

Dear Mr. XXXXXX:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R.1, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. Specifically, you were interested in amendments to this bill requiring that any job created under the stimulus plan be verified through the E-Verify program.

Congress recently passed H.R.1, and it was signed into law by the President on February 17, 2009. There is a very simple, urgent reason for this bill: We need to save jobs and we need to create jobs. We need to act quickly and boldly because at the rate we are shedding jobs, we are heading into deeper economic turmoil.

In the end, only legislation whose specific aim is job creation was included in the economic recovery package. Although H.R.1 does not contain provisions regarding the E-Verify program, it takes important steps to aid struggling American workers and create jobs.

In addition, the House of Representatives is currently considering H.R.662, which would reauthorize the E-Verify program for five years. Should this or similar legislation come before the

Senate, be assured that I will keep your views in mind.

Again, thank you for writing to me. Please feel free to contact me again about this or any other issue of concern to you.

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator