Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Sessions calls for changes to 'broken' U.S. asylum system

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MW

Sessions calls for changes to 'broken' U.S. asylum system

"The credible fear process was intended to be a lifeline for persons facing serious persecution. But it has become an easy ticket to illegal entry into the United States," Attorney General Jeff Sessions said. | Saul Loeb/Getty Images

Sessions calls for changes to 'broken' U.S. asylum system

By JOSH GERSTEIN
    10/12/2017 10:52 AM EDT

Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Thursday declared the U.S. asylum system "broken" due to what he said was fraud committed by immigrants who cross the border illegally and avoid deportation by claiming persecution at home.

"This system is currently subject to rampant abuse and fraud. And as this system becomes overloaded with fake claims, it cannot deal effectively with just claims," Sessions said during a visit to a Justice Department division in northern Virginia that oversees the immigration courts.

Sessions said "smart lawyers" manipulate the system by counseling immigrants to shape their stories in order to win initial determinations that they have a "credible fear" of being persecuted at home.
    "The system is being gamed. There's no doubt about it. The credible fear process was intended to be a lifeline for persons facing serious persecution. But it has become an easy ticket to illegal entry into the United States," the attorney general said in remarks to a few dozen employees an Executive Office of Immigration Review training center. "Saying a few simple words is now transforming a straight forward arrest and an immediate return into a probable release and hearing—if the alien bothers to show up for the hearing."

Sessions said there had been a surge in recent asylum applications, from about 5,000 credible fear reviews in 2009 to 94,000 in fiscal year 2016. He did not directly mention that the rise of narcotrafficking gangs — groups he regularly rails against in other speeches and public appearances — have led to a surge in illegal immigration from citizens of El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala. Many of those people have claimed they were targeted by violent gang networks.
    The most reliable politics newsletter.

Sessions called on Congress to adopt proposed immigration law changes released by the White House this week, which include a major overhaul of the asylum system. The proposals were part of a broader set of policies President Donald Trump wants as part of a deal with Congress to provide relief to so-called Dreamers — immigrants who entered the U.S. illegally as children and now are facing the loss of work permits as a result of Trump's decision to shut down a program started by his predecessor, President Barack Obama.

"President Trump understands this is a crisis. So do the American people," Sessions said. "We have a crisis at our borders, and we intend to fix it."

Sessions suggested Thursday that fear of broad-based violence in a country shouldn't be sufficient to allow someone to stay in the U.S.

"They were never intended to provide asylum to all those who fear generalized violence, crime, personal vendettas, or a lack of job prospects. Yet, vague, insubstantial, and subjective claims have swamped our system," he said.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/12/jeff-sessions-asylum-system-broken-243710

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Then why aren't you ending phony asylum claims? There is no "persecution" in our hemisphere.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Then why aren't you ending phony asylum claims? There is no "persecution" in our hemisphere.
    "Sessions called on Congress to adopt proposed immigration law changes released by the White House this week, which include a major overhaul of the asylum system."

I suppose there needs to be a rewrite of the laws to effect the change that is necessary to prevent much of this.

"Sessions suggested Thursday that fear of broad-based violence in a country shouldn't be sufficient to allow someone to stay in the U.S.

"They were never intended to provide asylum to all those who fear generalized violence, crime, personal vendettas, or a lack of job prospects. Yet, vague, insubstantial, and subjective claims have swamped our system," he said."

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

All he has to do is issue guidelines clarifying that violence, crime, personal vendettas and lack of job prospects do not qualify illegal aliens for asylum, email or fax it to all the custom agents at the borders and ports and tell them not to let any of these con artists into the country.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    All he has to do is issue guidelines clarifying that violence, crime, personal vendettas and lack of job prospects do not qualify illegal aliens for asylum, email or fax it to all the custom agents at the borders and ports and tell them not to let any of these con artists into the country.
    I suspect what you're asking for would take an act of Congress. If the law is ambiguous, it needs to be rewritten.

Oh really? Well, it didn't seem to bother him trying to force a 17 year girl into childbirth against her will, which really is against the law. He seems a little "selective" on what laws he thinks he needs, doesn't he?

MW
    Oh really? Well, it didn't seem to bother him trying to force a 17 year girl into childbirth against her will, which really is against the law. He seems a little "selective" on what laws he thinks he needs, doesn't he?
    I agree with this because I do not want us to become the abortion capitol of the world for every Central American illegal alien that wants an abortion. We have enough of an illegal immigration problem without giving thousands more a reason to sneak in country.

Not that it matters, because refusing to reward illegals is always a good thing, but why do you keep attacking Sessions on this? I thought it was the Texas Attorney General, Ken Paxton, that was the one representing the state of Texas on this.

The illegal alien girl caused her own problem (I haven't heard anything about a rape) and decided to sneak across the border for an abortion. This is all on her and it's ridiculous to go blaming anyone but her!
    Last edited by MW; 10-21-2017 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    I agree with this because I do not want us to become the abortion capitol of the world for every Central American illegal alien that wants an abortion. We have enough of an illegal immigration problem without giving thousands more a reason to sneak in out country.

Not that it matters, because refusing to reward illegals is always a good thing, but why do you keep attacking Sessions on this? I thought it was the Texas Attorney General, Ken Paxton, that was the one representing the state of Texas on this.
    Sigh. No, DHHS, Office of Refugee Settlement, is the culprit violating the law, that got the federal government sued by the ACLU defending the girl's right to an abortion at her expense. DOJ instead of telling these stupid idiots in the Office of Refugee Settlement that the girl has the right to an abortion under federal law, which she does, DOJ comes up with this totally discriminatory claim that she's not a person under the 14th Amendment and has no "full rights" to an abortion because she's an illegal alien.

Ken Paxton and the AGs of 8 other states wrote briefs in support of the DOJ's position in the case to defend the Office of Refugee Settlement's refusal to take her to her appointment at the abortion clinic. The girl has the waiver from a Texas judge to have the abortion, yet the federal government refuses to let her go to her appointment or be taken to her appointment.

Some Catholic Nut Job was appointed Director of the Office of Refugee Settlement, is personally opposed to abortion and apparently thinks that he can violate federal law based on his personal views instead of law and discriminate against these young girls who end up in his charge when they're assigned to DHHS which then assigns them to him.

It's getting very icky and perverted if you ask me. I can't believe the Attorney General of the United States would support such a perversion of law and decency as allowing some creepy nut job in the Office of Refugee Settlement to violate federal law as some means of curtailing illegal immigration.

You aren't refusing to reward an illegal alien. On the course you have chosen to support, she's going to have a baby on US soil in 4 months, get her child a birth certificate, a US passport and an SS#, Medicaid is going to pay for everything, and taxpayers are going to support her and the anchor baby for the rest of their lives in our country, she will be given a green card and compete with American Workers for jobs and cost US a fortune. And of course, she'll be breeding away because it pays to do so.

You'll be paying all their medical bills, all their food stamp bills, all their low income housing bills, all their education expenses, she'll get a driver's license, she'll get income tax child care and earned income tax credits and in 6 years she'll become a US citizen and sponsor her family to come here.

That is the path you, Sessions, Paxton and the AGs in 8 other states are seeking. In 3 weeks, that course will be irreversible, 4 months later she'll be dropping an anchor baby on US soil at our expense, and she will never be deported. That is the goal of the Nut Job in charge of the Office of Refugee Settlement that Jeff Sessions is supporting because he's decided to exploit his appointment as Attorney General to use force to "promote fetal life and childbirth" for the federal government.

Congratulations.
    Last edited by Judy; 10-21-2017 at 02:34 AM.

MW
    Okay, now are you going to quit crying about this.

I love the way you keep attempting to take the heat off President Trump by blaming AG Sessions on this. Sessions is only following through with our presidents position. However, I wasn't very surprised to see you jump in bed with the ACLU and liberal judge on this because I know how strongly you feel on the issue of abortion. For many of us on here this is not about pro-abortion or pro-life, it's about illegal immigration! We're tired of throwing down the welcome mat for those that would sneak over here making demands! Honestly, I thought you were with us on that.

Well, the battle isn't over yet, the ACLU and other liberal organizations are going to continue pushing for this illegal alien minor (if she actually is 17 as she says).

Honestly, MW, I've been here longer than you. I thought you were with us on preventing anchor babies being born in the US.

There is no harm to our national interest from any illegal alien in the US using abortion services they pay for. There is tremendous harm to our national interest when they do not and in the alternative breed anchor babies at our expense.

I don't know if Trump supports this or not. It's a really really stupid action and I think he's smarter than this. I guess we'll find out.