Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Should Legal Residents be given the right to Vote?

My question is simple. Should people that have been given Legal Residence in our nation be given the right to vote. They have gone through the papers legally to come here, but have not yet become citizens. My husband has been here 32 years with legal resident status and feels the same way I do as a natural born citizen about all our views here. I know of many people that are legal residents. They all work and pay real taxes, recieve a refund from the State and IRS, debate politics as we do and the only difference between them and myself is (besides citizenship) is not being able to help us at the poles. They love our country and have cut their alligance to their country and they all speak English or they sign up and pay for classes to learn it better. They will recieve their citizenship at some point but have not as of yet. I encourage them all to do so, but I wonder if they could benefit us with their votes if they were given the chance?

dragonfly, I'm sorry, but I don't think that legal residents should be allowed to vote. The reason I feel this way is because when a person becomes a citizen of the United States, that person takes an oath swearing his/her allegiance to the U.S. and gives up all ties to his/her birth country.

And without this very important oath, I just don't feel comfortable with somebody being able to vote and, therefore, shaping the American system.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

Americangirl is absolutely correct.

I don't think anyone should be allowed the responsibility of voting until they have reached citizenship.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Only one vote per citizen. If and when a legal resident swears his allegiance to the US then they may have the privilage of all Americans. My husband immigated as well and many years went by before he was eligible to become a citizen and vote. But wait he did and that is the way it should be.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

Why hasn't your husband become a citizen in 32 years? This seems strange that someone would be here for so long and not become a citizen. Voting before becoming a citizen first seems like putting the cart before the horse to me.

If our laws specify a voter must be a citizen, then I think it should be upheld.

I think it's great that your husband and friends are doing things legally and bless them for doing so! Tell them to hang in there!
    I don't care what you call me, so long as you call me AMERICAN.

dragonfly
    sawdust, took the question right out of my mouth, I don't understand why someone here for 32 yrs has not yet become a citizen? Surely the government is not standing in his way is it? If so, I would try to get a senator or representative of your state to help him in getting his citizenship.
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Banned
    I answer your question witha hearty "HELL NO!!!"

Before someone gains the right and sober responsibility of voting here, they need to overtly demonstrate their allegiance to this nation. I know of no way that a person who clings to citizenship of another nation can claim unequivocal allegiance to this one.

What's more, I would not allow dual citizenship, or at least I would not allow a person holding dual citizenship to vote here.

For 14 years of his life here he had no control over it. He was under 18. He was raised here since he was 4. The reason for not doing it between the ages of 18-28 ? I'm guessing laziness I don't know. But it wasn't out of malice I'm sure. I've been with him since he was 28 and we now have 4 children. So now it's because of money and time to do it. I was only curious and it was after all just a question. I didn't mean to offend anyone here. I am an American born in this nation. However, I did ask with my heart and not my head and for this I am sorry. I just want to say this. They do love this country and they are legal , maybe unable for what ever reasons to do their citizenship quickly but they started out doing things the right way. My husbands family came here and cannot even visit will the government of Iran is under radical control. To be a Muslim and then become Christian means death so they left. She has no more family. None of them will speak to her because of her religion. But she did leave to save herself , her daughter and my husband. There is no freedom for men, women or children there. I will encourage my husband to become a citizen. It will happen.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly
    For 14 years of his life here he had no control over it. He was under 18. He was raised here since he was 4. The reason for not doing it between the ages of 18-28 ? I'm guessing laziness I don't know. But it wasn't out of malice I'm sure. I've been with him since he was 28 and we now have 4 children. So now it's because of money and time to do it. I was only curious and it was after all just a question. I didn't mean to offend anyone here. I am an American born in this nation. However, I did ask with my heart and not my head and for this I am sorry. I just want to say this. They do love this country and they are legal , maybe unable for what ever reasons to do their citizenship quickly but they started out doing things the right way. My husbands family came here and cannot even visit will the government of Iran is under radical control. To be a Muslim and then become Christian means death so they left. She has no more family. None of them will speak to her because of her religion. But she did leave to save herself , her daughter and my husband. There is no freedom for men, women or children there. I will encourage my husband to become a citizen. It will happen.
    Just so we're clear here, my own brother-in-law is a British citizen who has been living here (legally) for ten years. If he told me that he wanted to vote here I'd tell him the same thing, which is that as long as his citizenship is British, his allegiance is British and he has no business voting in my country. Fortunately (for the sake of family harmony) he agrees. He and my sister will be moving the BVI next year.

I understand people "not getting around" to getting their citizenship, but after a point there is no excuse. If he wants to vote, he needs to pledge his allegiance to the United States of America and to do so in the form of going through the proper channels to become a citizen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast