All right guys, normally I am very prepared to shoot down the arguments of our enemies, I usually have my argument prepared and packaged to answer their rhetoric. But not too long ago on another site's political forum I had to alter my position a bit because of what one of the posters was saying......Whenever someone would argue that illegals need a "pathway to citizenship," my answer was:

"They already have one, its called LEGAL IMMIGRATION."

Well this poster, a Mexican immigrant (not sure about his legal status) was saying that this is practically impossible for the vast majority of our Mexican illegals. He said that Mexico does not have the visa lottery, which leaves these people the option of getting a work or student visa. He says this is practically impossible due to these visas mostly being given to the higher skilled and higher educated immigrants.....So the only way that illegal Mexicans can obtain legal status is with an amnesty.

Of course, he said nothing about Mexicans already being the greatest beneficiaries of our legal immigration process through chain migration......he left this out IMO to bring uneccessary sympathy for Mexican immigrants as well as skirting the obvious fact that before allowing a huge extension of low skilled visas, chain migration would have to be eliminated. Otherwise, Mexicans would have an enormous and unfair advantage over all other immigrant groups, even larger than they already enjoy.

Anyway, his point was that an amnesty/pathway to citizenship was the only route for the vast majority of illegal Mexicans, and my previous position (if what he says is true) is invalid. If this is all true, after rethinking my views, my current position is:

So what?

The vast majority of people throughout the world who want to live here, will never be able to legally make it here. Why should illegal Mexicans be given special consideration over all of these people? Because they broke the law and broke into our country? After consideration it seems that the immigration laws in question are structured to encourage high skilled and educated immigration into our country as well as to protect our working poor from wage depression. Corporate America has circumvented the spirit of these laws by hiring millions of illegals anyway. And if their is an amnesty, the government will essentially be giving Corporate America legal sanctification to wage wars on our working poor.

Anyway that is my response to this OBL argument, which is a better, more refined argument than most of them can muster up. Does anyone have any other debate advice for combatting this mindset? Did the OBL misrepresent anything that I left out?