Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South American Union is Born

According to a Los Angeles Times article on May 24, 2008 and an article by the BBC on the 23rd, the South American Union or Unasur was created by the leaders of 12 South American nations. Some members hope Unasur could become a regional version of the EU. Again, FAUX, CNN and MSNBC missed reporting a big story

BBC News Link: South America nations found union
    http://tinyurl.com/5mc773

LA Times Link: South American union is created
    http://tinyurl.com/6jaqp2

Please post the text of your articles with the links for our archives.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Related Post

South American union is created

In this thread is also an article: South America eyes common currency

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-116801-sou ... ican+union
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Here's the text of the first article:

South America nations found union

Some members hope Unasur could become a regional version of the EU
    The leaders of 12 South American nations have formed a regional body aimed at boosting economic and political integration in the region.

At a summit in Brazil, they signed a treaty which created the Union of South American Nations (Unasur).

Brazil's President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva said the move showed that South America was becoming a "global player".

But tensions between several members will make it difficult for the group to achieve its goals, observers say.

Mr Lula said at the summit in Brasilia that the differences between some Unasur governments were a sign of vitality in the region.

"The instability some want to see in our continent is a sign of life, especially political life," Mr Lula said.

"There's no democracy without people [protesting] in the streets," he added.

The treaty envisages that Unasur will have a revolving presidency and bi-annual meetings of foreign ministers.

Prior to the Brasilia summit, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez described the "empire" of the United States as Unasur's "number one enemy".

Mr Chavez is embroiled in a bitter diplomatic row with his Colombian counterpart Alvaro Uribe - a staunch US ally - over Colombian claims that Venezuela has been helping to finance the activities of the Colombian Farc rebels.

The Unasur members are Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay and Venezuela.

http://tinyurl.com/5mc773

This subject was already posted in other topics. Instead of creating new threads you could post them under the same thread with related content. It makes it much easier to find.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Quote Originally Posted by jp_48504
    This subject was already posted in other topics. Instead of creating new threads you could post them under the same thread with related content. It makes it much easier to find.

Agreed. And, since the subject of similar topics has come up, I have a question which is:

Is there some way admin and moderators can begin combining related threads as opposed to just locking them?

Another forum I belong to has a considerable problem with duplicate/similar threads being started and they just started combining them when it happens. That way, similar topics are kept in one place for easy reference and access, no posters' comments are lost to locked threads, and it solved a lot of the headaches it was causing for everyone involved.

Just something I've been wondering about, that's all.

I guess some South American leaders tragically learned NOTHING from the unmitigated DISASTERS the EU and NAFTA turned out to be!

Quote Originally Posted by azwreath
    Quote Originally Posted by jp_48504

Agreed. And, since the subject of similar topics has come up, I have a question which is:

Is there some way admin and moderators can begin combining related threads as opposed to just locking them?

Another forum I belong to has a considerable problem with duplicate/similar threads being started and they just started combining them when it happens. That way, similar topics are kept in one place for easy reference and access, no posters' comments are lost to locked threads, and it solved a lot of the headaches it was causing for everyone involved.

I wish, As far as I know the option of combining threads is not available. I'm sure right now it is on the wish list of things needed.

For now, it is best just to do a search of a keyword taht stands out so the duplication doesn't happen as much.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

[quote=jp_48504]
    Quote Originally Posted by azwreath
    Quote Originally Posted by "jp_48504":1bsept7i

I wish, As far as I know the option of combining threads is not available. I'm sure right now it is on the wish list of things needed.

For now, it is best just to do a search of a keyword taht stands out so the duplication doesn't happen as much.[/quote:1bsept7i]

Thanks JP......