Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Spanish-Language Media and the Issues that Move Latino Voter

Spanish-Language Media and the Issues that Move Latino Voters

February 28, 2011, 12:00pm – 1:30pm
    Streaming Video

Watch the event live.
    About This Event

EVENT FULL: This event is now full and we can no longer accept RSVPs. Please watch the live webcast here.

Latinos constitute the second-largest group in the United States today and it is expected that by the year 2050 they will make up one-third of the U.S. population. Spanish-dominant voters, traditionally swing voters, have played a pivotal role in increasing the political participation of Latinos and were a key segment to drive up turnout in the 2008 and 2010 elections.

Spanish-language media has an unprecedented reach and influence into this segment of the population and as such will keep this community informed as Congress considers legislation that deeply affects the Latino community. Whether it is job creation, education and health care reform, or immigration-related legislation, Spanish-language media holds a front seat to the political and policy debate and through them the Latino community will be privy to the optics, discourse, and substance of the issues.

Please join us to discuss the role of Spanish-language press in reaching out to the growing Latino community and the issues that are moving this community in 2011 and beyond.

Featured panelists:

MarÃ*a Elena Salinas, Co-Anchor, Noticiero Univisión
    Teresa E. Frontado, Online Editor, El Nuevo Herald
    Henrik Rehbinder, Editor, Editorial Pages, La Opinión
    Samuel Orozco, Executive Producer and Host, "LÃ*nea Abierta," Radio Bilingüe

Opening remarks:

Frank Sharry, Executive Director, America's Voice

Moderator:

Vanessa Cárdenas, Director, Progress 2050, Center for American Progress

A light lunch will be served at 11:30 a.m.
    Center for American Progress
    1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor
    Washington, DC 20005

Map & Directions external link icon
    Nearest Metro: Blue/Orange Line to McPherson Square or Red Line to Metro Center
    Subscribe to Event Email Updates
    Events Podcast

Podcast Icon Subscribe to the American Progress Events Podcast
    Photos from CAP Events

Flickr Icon Access American Progress Event Photos on Flickr
    Events RSS Feed

RSS Icon Subscribe to the American Progress Events RSS Feed

View the Events Archive

/http://www.americanprogress.org/events/2011/02/latinovoters.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"Wow, this sounds really American!"
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    Once again
    Its all about the latinos

Every get the feeling they don't want to be part of this country?

I'm telling you , at some time its not going to be pretty , they wish to be exclusionary of the rest of this country , its not a good thing.

This reminds me. How come there's no "diversity" push for hispanic television and media. I mean they're all.... well...hispanic! No blacks, asians, whites, etc. All hispanic! I understand hispanic/latino is not a race, but again, when it comes time for preferential considerations, (job applications for one) hispanic/latino seems to be considered a race, since they get their own box to check.

If diversity is so great for society at large, then how come hispanic media seems not to be in compliance or quick to embrace the diversity mantra? Just wondering....
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

NoBueno wrote,
    If diversity is so great for society at large, then how come hispanic media seems not to be in compliance or quick to embrace the diversity mantra? Just wondering....
    In the short term "diversity" is a code word for, "Hey, you in the majority, give us your wallet!"

In the long term view, it is creating a melting pot of the whole world, singing Kum-buy-ya, and lets all build a Tower of Babel with the high priests supervising the construction. At the base of the tower chisled in stone is the mantra, "Can't we all just get along?" And high up in the tower is another stone carved inscipted with "Yes we can." And the capstone will read, "Cha-ching!"

Quote Originally Posted by NoBueno
    This reminds me. How come there's no "diversity" push for hispanic television and media. I mean they're all.... well...hispanic! No blacks, asians, whites, etc. All hispanic! I understand hispanic/latino is not a race, but again, when it comes time for preferential considerations, (job applications for one) hispanic/latino seems to be considered a race, since they get their own box to check.

It's because of word play. Translating from Spanish to English allows for confusion of certain words definitions. For example they claim Raza doesn't necessarily mean race but could also be interpreted to mean people.

I now put forth that when they use the word diversity what they really mean is DISPLACEMENT and they know it! Of course they deny it but "If my eyes don't deceive me there's something going wrong around here."
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by roundabout
    NoBueno wrote,
    In the short term "diversity" is a code word for, "Hey, you in the majority, give us your wallet!"

In the long term view, it is creating a melting pot of the whole world, singing Kum-buy-ya, and lets all build a Tower of Babel with the high priests supervising the construction. At the base of the tower chisled in stone is the mantra, "Can't we all just get along?" And high up in the tower is another stone carved inscipted with "Yes we can." And the capstone will read, "Cha-ching!"
    Ditto! In other words, only White Americans are expected to remain complaint with "diversity," while all other groups are free to exploit this contrived social doctrine as a mechanism to further their own racial interests.

Banned
    I wonder if the fairness doctrine would mean spanish media would have to be 50% in English

I'm still not getting the whole concept of diversity

I fail to see how it has made us any better in our present situation.

NoBueno wrote,
    Ditto! In other words, only White Americans are expected to remain complaint with "diversity," while all other groups are free to exploit this contrived social doctrine as a mechanism to further their own racial interests.
    Yup! Yet the vast majority do not feel the strings attached to their gifts. The yoke or the rope.

Justthefacts wrote,
    I'm still not getting the whole concept of diversity

I fail to see how it has made us any better in our present situation.
    Superman, are'nt you feeling all warm and fuzzy yet?

roundabout wrote,
    Kum-buy-ya,
    English translation?.....Come-buy-ya,..all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast