Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

'Spanish only' may spell disaster

I was following a story and came upon this one. Aside from the article the most interesting thing about the article is the web site. If you want to see how organized and campaign ready these folks are look around the website. Check out the scholarship section.

http://www.nshp.org/?q=node/1658

'Spanish only' may spell disaster
    Submitted by JReza on April 28, 2006 - 21:18. Education
    I’m always baffled, dumbfounded, even appalled, when I’m shopping at a department store and hear over the intercom, “We need a Spanish speaking associate at the pharmacy.” I always ask myself, “What if they can’t find a Spanish speaking associate? What then?” Will the individual trying to buy perhaps a life-sustaining drug go to another pharmacy hoping to find someone who can understand him or her? Or, simply wait perhaps hours, until someone who can speak Spanish comes along to help purchase the maybe much-needed drug?

Though I’ve noticed that department stores (here in Texas) almost always are able to help someone who speaks Spanish, I honestly feel that businesses who provide Spanish speaking assistance to their customers are, in essence, keeping them caged in their unfortunate language barrier. I shudder to consider the disastrous results if this individual has a heart attack, gets involved in an auto accident, or becomes a victim of a crime, and there’s no one around who speaks Spanish. In these critical moments, it is vital that such an individual can communicate to others what has happened, or, is happening to them.

Years ago, when I lived in North Fort Worth, I had an insurance policy where the company would send an insurance collector monthly to collect my premium. On one occasion I needed some information on my policy. When the collector came to my house I noticed that he was not the same man who routinely collected my premium. My previous collector was Anglo and the newly assigned collector was Hispanic. When I told him (in English, mind you) that I needed some info on my policy, he turned around and asked a youngster who was with him what I was saying. Sort of dumfounded, I asked him in Spanish, “No hablas ingles?” (“Don’t you speak English?”) “No”, he answered. Then I asked him, (in Spanish) “What in the world do you do when you meet someone who can’t speak Spanish and your son is not with you?” “Well, that’s why I try to have my son who understands English with me ”, he said. “But your son should be at home studying or playing,” I retorted. “Well, my family needs money to pay the bills and buy groceries and so my son helps me bring home the bacon”, he responded. “How in the world do you keep your job?” I asked. “Well, the insurance company assigns me only to Hispanic communities”, he went on. “How long have you been in the Unites States?” I continued. “20 years”, he proudly answered. “Then why haven’t you learned English?” I asked him. “Well, when I go to church, they have Spanish services, there are now many Spanish TV programs, Spanish newspapers and magazines, and also Spanish radio stations. Thus, I stay well informed on the goings on.” he answered. “Do you think if you knew English you would do better in your job?” I went on. “Oh God yes!” he shouted. “I’m a hard worker and I have no doubt that I would get many customers and make more money for myself and the company”, he concluded.

Folks, this man is a classic example of what Spanish advocates have done to him. They have restricted him, and scores of others like him, from ever achieving their highest potential in this great land of ours. Shame on churches, businesses, schools, and the media who advocate this Spanish speaking nonsense!

In contrast, when I worked for General Dynamics as a Senior Engineer Illustrator, I often marveled during lunchtime at the company cafeteria when I would observe several tables of Asian aeronautical engineers. Though they were still eating their own style of food with chopsticks, and speaking their own dialect of Asian language, somehow they managed to get their degrees in aeronautical engineering from any one of many universities in our country. I remember that I would often ask myself, “I wonder if I will ever see a table full of Hispanic or even black engineers here at General Dynamics?” Sadly, I’d answered myself, “Probably not!” Sad isn’t it?

Once, while at lunch, I went and asked some of the Asian engineers how they managed to get their degrees and not lose their cultural traits. “Mr. Reza,” one answered, “When we came to this wonderful country, our parents made it a priority that we learn English. Then they told us to study hard and earn a degree in an institution of higher learning. We are forever grateful to our parents who taught us to stay focused in higher education and to learn English.”

Hispanic parents and proponents of Spanish and bilingual education (i.e., educational genocide) should realized that promoting English (not continuing to speak to them in Spanish) would increase the potential for success in these children. If you look at the high rate of school dropouts among Hispanics, you will quickly learn that they haven’t got it yet! English — that is!

James H. Reza
    4204 Grand Lake
    Lake Worth, Texas 76135
    Phone: 817-237-6287
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Folks, this man is a classic example of what Spanish advocates have done to him. They have restricted him, and scores of others like him, from ever achieving their highest potential in this great land of ours. Shame on churches, businesses, schools, and the media who advocate this Spanish speaking nonsense!
    Exactly a major reason why. And imagine the poor kid who has to tag along to help dad do his job. After 20 years there's no excuse and no excuse to keep his child held back either.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thanks for that link. I found it truly enlightening and refreshing (because of the source). I genuinely hope his compadres will pay attention to what he had to say.

Excellent article!!!!

Added to personal archives.

Our senator Chucky Boy Hagel hates you.

You are among many patriots who Hagel despises.

Be proud!!!!