Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Let's END linguistic catering to foreigners! Immigrants are OBLBLIGATED to LEARN English, WE are NOT obligated to learn THEIR languages! My Ukranian maternal grandmother and her family, refugees from Russian Communism, had to learn English, they did NOT demand that Americans learn UKRANIAN! My legal resident Brazilian friend learned English, she did NOT insist on having everything in PORTUGUESE! She said that immigrants who demand everything in THEIR languages or try to FORCE their languages and cultures on Americans are JUST as racist as Americans who dislike immigrants simply for being foreigners!

Quote Originally Posted by joazinha
    Let's END linguistic catering to foreigners! Immigrants are OBLBLIGATED to LEARN English, WE are NOT obligated to learn THEIR languages! My Ukranian maternal grandmother and her family, refugees from Russian Communism, had to learn English, they did NOT demand that Americans learn UKRANIAN! My legal resident Brazilian friend learned English, she did NOT insist on having everything in PORTUGUESE! She said that immigrants who demand everything in THEIR languages or try to FORCE their languages and cultures on Americans are JUST as racist as Americans who dislike immigrants simply for being foreigners!
    I agree with on that. I have met a lot of legal immigrants that learned English before coming here or learned it righat away. I applaud your grandmother for learning English. My cousin was married to woman whose dad immigrated from Bolivia with his family when he was 12 they saved money there before coming here and they all learned English before they came. You bring up a good point there many immigrants from different countries do come here and try to force their language and culture on Americans. There are Americans who do dislike immigrants for just being foreigners. I think many people need to stop catering to immigrants who don't speak English. I worked as a furniture salesperson and I refused to cater people who didn't speak English. Immigranting to another country requires a lot of responibility and part of that responsbility is learning English.
    ProEnglish:The English Language Advocates
    http://www.proenglish.org/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12