Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

"Special City" offers sanctuary and safety

Special City offers sanctuary and safety

Debra J. Saunders

Thursday, April 26, 2007

SAN FRANCISCO Mayor Gavin Newsom is opposed to federal law enforcement efforts to apprehend illegal immigrants who are violating deportation orders. Ess Eff, the mayor told a gathering at St. Peter's Church Sunday is a "sanctuary city" -- and has been since 1989. So, Newsom assured the audience, "I will not allow any of my department heads or anyone associated with this city to cooperate in any way, shape or form with these raids."

Illegal immigrants, rejoice.

The folks at Immigration and Customs Enforcement are none too happy with the term "raids." Raid implies that agents sweep into homes and businesses trolling for any illegal immigrants upon whom they might happen to stumble, whereas the targets of Operation Return to Sender are "immigration fugitives" named in warrants because they have violated deportation orders or returned here after having been deported.

Often, immigrant fugitives have criminal records. ICE official Virginia Kice told me that of the 1,400 people arrested in Northern California during nine recent months, 785 were immigration fugitives and 339 had criminal convictions in America. "We prioritize those cases involving individuals who are not only immigration violators, but also have criminal convictions, often for serious offenses," said Kice.

In essence, then, Newsom is denouncing immigration officials for enforcing laws passed by democratically elected representatives in Washington. Once again, San Francisco's mayor sends the message that if you don't like a law, then don't work to change it. Just break it. (City taxpayers should take note.)

Why shouldn't ICE officials go after immigration fugitives? Spokesman Nathan Ballard answered, "What the mayor is saying is that these raids instill fear, these nighttime and early morning raids have left many immigrants feeling fearful and vulnerable." And: "These raids jeopardize the public health and safety in the city by instilling fear in those who might come forward to report information on a crime or those who are in need of medical treatment."

Note the apparent belief that law enforcement personnel should not arrest lawbreakers, lest the arrest upset the offenders' families. That can't help morale at the SFPD.

On the one hand, Newsom's comments are irrelevant because ICE doesn't ask local cops to help apprehend "immigration fugitives."

What is more, the Special City's sanctuary policy includes an exemption that allows city workers to assist ICE when "such assistance is specifically required by federal law." San Francisco Sheriff Mike Hennessey told me that, in accordance with federal law, his office notifies ICE about "hundreds" of jailed illegal immigrants every year.

On the other hand, Newsom's rhetoric matters because it sends a message that San Francisco supports those who flout, not only federal immigration laws, but also deportation orders. If they have criminal records, so be it.

Yes, ICE officials nab other illegal immigrants -- those without deportation orders -- in the course of arresting warranted fugitive aliens. Last I checked, taxpayers don't pay immigration officials to ignore illegal immigration.

And as Kice noted, "Nobody is going to be removed from the United States without due process." As for the early morning arrests -- ICE officials want to catch deportation scofflaws before they go to work.

The sheriff told me, "I think the sanctuary ordinance has distinct positive value in San Francisco." To wit: It assures illegal immigrants that they can report crimes without fear of deportation -- and that makes the city safer.

Really? Kice noted that some of the immigration fugitives committed crimes that preyed "on members of the immigrant community."

And how can a city be safer when its own mayor tells the world that residents have a right to break federal immigration law, even to defy a judge's deportation order -- because they don't have to adhere to laws they don't like?

E-mail: dsaunders@sfchronicle.com.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... OS90H1.DTL

MW
    San Francisco is a den of immorality and illegality (been that way for many years).

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Senior Member NoIllegalsAllowed's Avatar
    San Francisco is such a progressive city as they are making such intelligent decisions so why not also ban the San Franciso Police from enforcing any laws? It sounds like the type of thing a bunch of drugged up hippies and illegals would like.
    Free Ramos and Compean NOW!

"These raids jeopardize the public health and safety in the city by instilling fear in those who might come forward to report information on a crime or those who are in need of medical treatment."
    If this jackass is actually worried about "public health and safety", the first thing he'd do is get his local authorities to help round up criminal illegals.
    What a BS typical liberal excuse. This mayor should be recalled ASAP!
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

This could be used to our advantage. Offer a $500 rebate to any illegal alien who relocates to San Francisco. Be sure to mention the pleasant climate year round, lots of other illegals to meet, etc. Personally, I can't think of a city that deserves them more than SF.

Welcome Camille!
    I couldn't agree more!
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

April
    camilleinchicago wrote:

This could be used to our advantage. Offer a $500 rebate to any illegal alien who relocates to San Francisco. Be sure to mention the pleasant climate year round, lots of other illegals to meet, etc. Personally, I can't think of a city that deserves them more than SF.
    Welcome Camille! Great Idea!