Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Subcontracting is working well for the Department of Transportation in The United States, too. Let's see if I can word the phrase from DOT Upper Manager for the US on C-Span, he told me on the phone that it is not a DOT matter but Labor and Police matter if illegals are getting the jobs with Americans Stimulus Money.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Isn't there a law about federal contractors using E-Verify for hirees? Is there a loophole we don't know about?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

FloorGuy,

you might be wise to market yourself as the "clean up man". We have a friend of ours who has been doing tile and wood floors for years and we have hired him for any floor jobs we have had come up. One time we got to talking about IA's taking his business and he said yes, he is sure they had, however, he also mentioned that he gets calls from irate customers who hired IA's to install thier floors that are now faulty. Our friend goes over there and the bid gets jacked WAY up for him to fix thier crappy work so he makes a bit more that way.

If you are ever in a position to get back in the game - I would really put your marketing focus that you are AMERICAN - ALL AMERICAN. Believe me, people DO still appreciate that.

I know someone who installs window for the one of the biggest window companies in San Diego county and his customers have told him and his crew that they really appreciate having English speaking AMERICANS come to do the work.

I work as a web developer (contractor) and I'm finding myself competing with people outside the US who charge as low as $4 an hour. So this is happening in the IT sector not just manual labor. The sad reality is that we're in a global economy and I've come to the realization that I have to accept the situation. So what I try to do is give clients a reason for wanting to hire me for a project as opposed to someone overseas who may be less experienced. I market myself as an all-in-one developer (like someone who can do plumbing, electrical, carpeting, tiling etc) and guarantee top quality. Also, because we're in the same timezone, it's easier to reach one another. And the fact that I speak the same language as the client is another plus. Point is that we must find flaws in our competitors and take advantage of those.

Get yourself on Angie's list or one of those pre-screened websites. People like finding reliable bonded and insured contractors. Get your name out there even if you have to go door to door!

I run a small screen printing shop and my bids get undercut by illegals all of the time.....working out of their garage, ect!

I always show my customers work that I have done and work that others do. I promise quality over price and timeliness!! If you do great work and stand by it promote yourself!!!!

It's tough right now, but you can succeed if you keep positive and keep doing everything you can to get jobs!!
    Work Harder Millions on Welfare Depend on You!

Quote Originally Posted by SicNTiredInSoCal
    FloorGuy,

you might be wise to market yourself as the "clean up man". We have a friend of ours who has been doing tile and wood floors for years and we have hired him for any floor jobs we have had come up. One time we got to talking about IA's taking his business and he said yes, he is sure they had, however, he also mentioned that he gets calls from irate customers who hired IA's to install thier floors that are now faulty. Our friend goes over there and the bid gets jacked WAY up for him to fix thier crappy work so he makes a bit more that way.

If you are ever in a position to get back in the game - I would really put your marketing focus that you are AMERICAN - ALL AMERICAN. Believe me, people DO still appreciate that.

I know someone who installs window for the one of the biggest window companies in San Diego county and his customers have told him and his crew that they really appreciate having English speaking AMERICANS come to do the work.
    I tried that approach, but the customers were usually strapped so I had to either do it for near next to nothing, or just pass it up all together. Or it wasn't worth fixing right anyways.

Now, if you want to get a job you have to apply as an illegal immigrant and get paid likeone. I know this guy that he works for a contract company and uses his ITIN to work and he gets paid $8.50 per hour but he works Friday-Saturday 8am-5pm

SAD ... NOW

What happened how come... now it is better to be an illegal immigrant. Why we have a deficit? Why we have unemployment at 10%?This country have given too much to illegal immigrants and that is why every year there more crossing the border and Amnesty it is going to contribute more to this problem. WHO IS PLAYING BLIND?

Floorguy, I know exactly how you feel. As a brick/stone contractor no other trade has felt the inundation of this imported illegal labor than mine. I went almost two months without work earlier this year, the prices I was offered for what work I did find.... to compete with the illegal laden crews were prices that I had received back almost twenty years ago. I might as well go to work at McDonalds for those kind of wages, wouldn't have to work near as hard.
    Immigration reform should reflect a commitment to enforcement, not reward those who blatantly break the rules. - Rep Dan Boren D-Ok

Repeat and referral are not a problem. It is just not consistent.

It is the new prospects, that always ask, "how much do you charge"

I have to see the project to place any kind of bid.

"I really liked you the best, but your 4 times higher than Julio and Juan."

It is the new clients that I'm having the most difficult times with.

I do make a killing on failure corrections, but they too, are in the same mentality that got them in trouble in the first place, looking for the cheapest guy to fix it.

Independent certified, 3rd party failure investigations, when everyone is pointing fingers at everyone else, is where I'm going full time.
    Travis and Crockett, are flopping in their graves

If they ask you how much do you charge tell them it depends on what you need, If they have an estimate from someone else ask to see it and break it down with them, point out differences and consequences of using illegal labor.

You get what you pay for! You might be 4X higher but it will cost them in the long run.

If you don't feel like being flexible you might lose out on some jobs.
    Work Harder Millions on Welfare Depend on You!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12