Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Supervisors approve immigrant resolution

http://www.potomacnews.com/servlet/S...51958309&path=

Supervisors approve immigrant resolution

The Prince William Board of County Supervisors unanimously approved a resolution meant to crack down on illegal immigration, while about 400 people watched Tuesday afternoon.

More than 100 people spoke at the meeting at the McCoart Administration Center.

Prince William Chairman Corey A. Stewart drew the ire of the crowd when he limited each speaker's time to one minute rather than allowing the customary three minutes per speaker.

The split, among people who spoke, was about even between those opposed to the resolution and those in favor of it.

Jeff Williams of Manassas favored the resolution and said he thought most people in the county did as well.

"With the introduction of Supervisor Stirrup's resolution concerning policies for illegals in Prince William County, a Collosus giant of 370,000 legal citizens of this jurisdiction are alive and in a single voice are saying to you 'Yes. Yes. Support this resolution. Yes. Do something for the
    citizens who elected you,' " Williams said.

Nicole Armbruster called the resolution "racist in nature" and said that it would be "xenophobic in practice."

Ronald Boykin, pastor of the Manassas A.ME. Church, said the supervisors should take more time over the resolution.

"The community has not had an opportunity to voice all of its concerns," he said.

"I think the humanistic approach to this is that we would allow the board to bring together pieces of this community to dialogue and look at really needs to happen so that a proper resolution can be presented and passed."

The resolution that John T. Stirrup, R-Gainesville, brought to the board Tuesday was changed from the resolution he initially proposed two weeks ago.

Stirrup's original resolution would have changed county code to require police officers to determine the immigration status of everyone they stopped regardless of "national origin, ethnicity or race."

But the county attorney said that any resolution that changed the county code would have to go through a period of public hearing.

The amended resolution simply issued a directive to require police to ask about immigration status, if they had probable cause to do so.

The resolution also directed the police department to enter into an agreement with the Department of Homeland Security's Immigration and Customs Enforcement to train officers who would enforce immigration laws under ICE supervision.

Prince William police Chief Charlie T. Deane told the supervisors that the resolution would have "significant, unintended consequence which will impact our county for years to come."

Some of the consequences could include higher taxes, higher crime rates among an immigrant community unwilling to report crime and emerging vigilantism.

Other unintended consequences could include "displaced and angry minorities," and "disenfranchised youth who will move to gangs for solace and protection," Deane said.

"I predict that you'll have to raise taxes to cover the sky-rocketing expenses of responding to calls for services that will flood the police department," Deane said.

Dean also told the supervisors that the resolution would shine unfavorably on Prince William County.

"If we don't get this right, perceptions of racism will increase," Deane said.

"Despite any cries of fairness and impartiality, Prince William County ... will be painted ... as a racist community intent on driving out a single population," Dean said of the Hispanic population which he said makes up 18 percent of the county.

Col. Skip Land, the superintendent of the Prince William-Manassas Regional jail, told the supervisors that ICE has said that it will accept into its system only 40 illegal immigrants a month.

Furthermore, Land said, ICE will only take those illegal immigrants who have been "convicted of a crime" or are the "worst of the worst."

The jail is overcrowded, but Land said he would not use that as a "cop out" to turn prisoners away.

Land also told the supervisors that not everyone who winds up with ICE paperwork is going to be deported.

Stirrup said he "would not accept ICE's position that they cannot process more individuals."

"I, in no way, accept that as an answer," Stirrup said.

The board will hold a work session in 90 days to decide what benefits the county can and cannot deny illegal immigrants.

About 150 people demonstrated in front of the building, vowing to fight the resolution after the board's vote.

John Steinbach of the Woodbridge Workers Committee was among the demonstrators and said he was disappointed at the board's decision.

"The line has kind of been drawn," Steinbach said.

"Immigration has now become a local issue," he said.

Steinbach said he thought the resolution wouldn't hold up to scrutiny

"It's probably not going to pass legal muster." Steinbach said. "It's a can of worms."

Stirrup said the resolution is a warning shot.

"For folks that are here illegally, I think it sends a message that they need to get legal," he said

---------------------------------------------

Personal Opinion: OK Folks, this shocked the hell out of me. My own County Supervisors actually taking some kind of stand. As I passed last night, there were illegals with signs stating "Please let us work", and other similar phrases. Not that I am against what is going on, I think is it a long time in coming. I was just surprised at how fast this was passed. The Police Chief is dead set against tasking his force to enforce this (he has spoken out on other occassions).

I don't think this will do anything for those currently in the county and are using up services (e.g. county medical clinic, any type of welfare payments, etc), but it will take Prince William County off the "migration" plans currently on 5 x 8 cards laminated and being used by the illegals.

Too bad Deane has no respect for American laws, the American taxpaper, or even wants to do his job of enforcing those laws. He should be removed from his position.