Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Support for voter ID

http://www.washingtontimes.com/article/ ... 27187/1013

Support for voter ID
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES EDITORIAL

January 23, 2008
    Democrats often claim that voter identification laws, including the Indiana statute currently under review by the Supreme Court, lead to disenfranchisement of poor people, racial minorities and senior citizens. However, this claim doesn't sit well with most Americans, according to a new Rasmussen Reports/The Washington Times/Fox 5 survey, and the argument also doesn't comport with the facts.

Two-thirds of those surveyed, including most Americans from racial and ethnic minority groups and older Americans, believe that would-be voters should be required to show photo identification. Such a basic, commonsense measure protects against voter fraud and certainly passes constitutional muster, which is why we agree with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit, which upheld the 2005 law. U.S. District Judge Sarah Evans Barker agreed when she sustained the Indiana law in a 2006 ruling against the Indiana Democratic Party and the American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana: "Despite apocalyptic assertions of wholesale voter disenfranchisement, plaintiffs have produced not a single piece of evidence of any identifiable registered voter who would be prevented from voting."

When asked by pollsters, "Should voters be required to prove their identity by showing a government issued photo ID before they're allowed to vote?" 67 percent of responders answered "yes," while just 23 percent said "no." Fifty-eight percent of blacks, 69 percent of whites and 66 percent of other ethnic or racial minorities said voter ID laws are reasonable. Among women age 40 and over, 70 percent said they support the idea of requiring a photo ID, and 66 percent of men 40 and older agree.

Indiana's voter ID law grants numerous exceptions to the photo ID requirement, such as waivers for voters who object to being photographed for religious reasons and impoverished voters who cannot afford to pay for non-driver's ID, which the state gives for free to poor people, and senior citizens are able to vote through absentee ballot. This diverse range of exceptions have likely helped increase voter turnout, which was up by two percentage points during the 2006 elections — especially among Democrats — over the 2002 midterm elections.

The evidence is overwhelming, both in terms of public support and data (or lack thereof): Indiana's voter ID law is sound.
    [b] If we do not insist on Voter ID, how can we stop illegals from voting?

I think we all know why certain politicians and most democrats DON'T want voter ID!!!
    Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.*** -G.K. Chesterton from the book 'The Shack' by Wm. Paul Young-

real id

I absolutely oppose the Real Id. People in Fla have to show a picture id. CLOSE THE BORDERS and we won't have these problems. NO MORE BANDAIDS! NO more loss of our right to privacy!

Re: real id

Quote Originally Posted by jazzloversinc
    I absolutely oppose the Real Id. People in Fla have to show a picture id. CLOSE THE BORDERS and we won't have these problems. NO MORE BANDAIDS! NO more loss of our right to privacy!
    OK, let me consider what you're saying. Yes, I agree we should close our borders, but I realize that is not going to happen in the next few months any more than Ron Paul is likely to be the next President this Fall.

In the meantime, prior to our closing of our borders, apparently you think we should not have Voter ID and thereby allow illegals to vote?

If you don't want illegals to vote, how would you prevent them from voting?

How would you create a system that would only allow US citizens to vote?
    [b] If we do not insist on Voter ID, how can we stop illegals from voting?

In last Tuesday's Texas primary, one of the two final issues on the ballot was would you SUPPORT a measure REQUIRING a PHOTO ID for registering to vote and for voting. However, I DON'T yet know whether voters APPROVED of it or NOT.

Why would we NOT require photo ids with or without voter fraud and open borders??? Doesn't it make sense to require the person voting to be the actual person they say they are? How could this be a violation of any right we have??

I don't get why this would be an issue under any circumstance??!!
    Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.*** -G.K. Chesterton from the book 'The Shack' by Wm. Paul Young-

Support for Voter

Republicans passed the voter ID measure by a whopping 94%. Also passed local enforcement of immigration laws by 90+%.

This is NOT the first time voters have overwhelmingly passed these "propositions". One of our own Repubs-David Dewhurst-killed the Voter ID bill in Texas.

I do have concerns over a National ID. We already have that with Social Security numbers and the ID Theft of SS numbers is a national crisis. However, now that most states will not give Driver's licenses to non-citizens, a photo Driver's license would be enough.

There were several reports of voter fraud in Texas. Most involved people showing up to vote being told they already voted--by absentee ballot. More needs to be done to verify absentee ballots.
    I also saw a report that several Texas counties had either no Dems or no Repubs voting in the whole county--how strange is that?
    I would also support a review of voter rolls against the DMV to see if all registered voters have a state ID or Driver's License. Citizens who have neither should be able to produce some documentation to prove citizenship.

Re: real id

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzloversinc
    In the meantime, prior to our closing of our borders, apparently you think we should not have Voter ID and thereby allow illegals to vote?
    Jonathan,

You're confusing REAL I.D. with current forms of I.D.s. jazzloversinc is simply stating opposition to REAL I.D.

I'm curious to see how many states require proof of legal residence and what the proof is to get a DL.

In NJ, you MUST show either a US birth certificate, citizenship papers or valid green card. Suffice to say, your NJ DL establishes that you are a LEGAL resident of NJ and the US. There are multiple other layers of ID required such as SS card, utility bill with your name and address, etc
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Support for voter ID

I recently had to renew my Texas DL. I was encouraged to see a requirement for a valid Social Security number. Some people just told the clerk their number, but apparently the computer database matches names with numbers.
    There was a white male with a folder from Carmax, trying to get a license for the car he just purchased. He was here on a visitor visa and was denied. The clerk said you are not eligible for a Texas DL.
    So things are improving, altho slowly.
    I also support the E-verify system for employers, but worry that government control of the system could eventually lead to government "blacklisting" of legal citizens who speak out publicly against government leaders or policies. Don't think it is not possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast