Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

'Throw the Book' at Employers Hiring Illegal Aliens!

Opinion

AVARICE UNCHECKED

Monday, November 17, 2008 at 12:30 am

Federal authorities should throw the book at those who hire illegal immigrants.

WHEN JOB markets look grim, hiring illegal immigrants is especially egregious.

That's why the federal government should throw the book at restaurant owners Guo Hua Jiang and Jian Chun Liu if the latest charges against them prove true.

The two are accused of employing 10 illegal aliens for the past eight and a half months, as well as harboring them at the couple's two residences in Rincon.

There appears to be little doubt among immigration authorities that the two knew the undocumented workers were in the country illegally (officials would not identify the workers' nationalities).

According to the indictment against the two, the motive was simple greed: By hiring illegal workers, the restaurant owners were able to skip out on paying employee taxes such as Social Security, unemployment insurance, employee benefits, and worker's compensation, investigators say.

Such actions not only rob U.S. citizens and those with valid work visas of employment opportunities, the existence of a low-wage black market labor force puts downward pressure on the pay and benefits offered legitimate workers.

These illegal actions also make for an unfair playing field with the owners of restaurants or other businesses who scrupulously follow labor hiring laws.

Combined with the billions of dollars worth of remittances illegal workers send back to their home countries each year, the costs of such under-the-counter dealings to the American economy are substantial.

The head of investigations at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Atlanta field office, Kenneth Smith, said other businesses should view the Rincon arrests as a warning call that "ICE aggressively targets employers who knowingly employ an illegal alien work force."

Such measures are a welcome sign that federal officials may be stepping up efforts to enforce existing immigration laws in a way that will truly discourage the hire of undocumented workers.

Only when the cost of shady business practices exceeds the perceived benefits of a cheap, vulnerable work force will unscrupulous business owners keep their avarice in check.

There appears to be little doubt among immigration authorities that the two knew the undocumented workers were in the country illegally.

If you'd like to rate or comment on the story above, please log-in or register now.

http://savannahnow.com/node/618386
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I own a small business, and I would never hire Illegal workers to save a few bucks! Most of my competition looses many customers to me because the quality of their products made by Illegals suck so bad its worth it to them to pay me more and get it done right!
    Work Harder Millions on Welfare Depend on You!

I know I've been living overseas for a long time but....

last I checked we Americans still have a First Amendment stating we have the right to free speech.

If we can burn an American flag and be protected under this law, then why can't we post a sign in front of every office, business, establishment that hires illegal immigrants that will inform the public that they do this? That way consumers can decide if they want to spend money on their product or not. I would imagine if this were to catch on, that there would be a lot less employment of illegal immigrants in USA.

How would you react if you drove into the parking lot of a restaurant and saw this sign posted:

"We are an illegal immigrant employer"

Welcome mexigrrrl! I agree 100%. Not many people would patronize a business whose employees have not been screened for health concerns. Illegal aliens are liars by virtue of their presence here. No background checks, no medical checks, etc.

Employers of illegal aliens should be put out of business and the illegals deported. No jobs, no incentives, no reason to stay here.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Re: I know I've been living overseas for a long time but....

Quote Originally Posted by mexigrrrl
    last I checked we Americans still have a First Amendment stating we have the right to free speech.

If we can burn an American flag and be protected under this law, then why can't we post a sign in front of every office, business, establishment that hires illegal immigrants that will inform the public that they do this? That way consumers can decide if they want to spend money on their product or not. I would imagine if this were to catch on, that there would be a lot less employment of illegal immigrants in USA.
    You could not post such a sign on private business property, and posting it on public property might be restricted by a sign ordinance, but for sure you can stand out in front with a sign on the public sidewalk.

Another think you can do it ask businesses who don't hire illegals to put an e-Verifile sticker in their front window, this tells their customers they only hire legal workers.

The sticker is a good idea Bowman. It may cause an increase in their business and definitely decrease the number of illegals trying to get hired there.

Welcome Mexigrrrl Bienvenido ser de ayuda a su familia pero no a violar los leyes de migracion. There is an active Latin contingent here at ALIPAC you have a lot of company.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Welcome Mexigrrrl Bienvenido ser de ayuda a su familia pero no a violar los leyes de migracion. There is an active Latin contingent here at ALIPAC you have a lot of company.
    muchas gracias y no tenemo deseos a ir de aqui porque tenemos mejorar nuestra pais aqui...
    thank you very much and we have no desier to leave here because we have to make our country better..

where is this latin contingent I am having trouble finding anything via google? if there is a forum here please lead me to it. thank you.

The e-verify sticker in the window of business establishments is a very GOOD idea and would increase business for those who display it. I think we should contact e-verify and suggest this. It is more constructive than my idea that was expressed out of anger.

Anyone who wants businesses to start using e-verify can get some of these cards and pass them out: http://e-verifile.us/activists/index.php.

As for the Latinos who oppose amnesty, go to http://latinoamericans.org/

Quote Originally Posted by mexigrrrl
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    muchas gracias y no tenemo deseos a ir de aqui porque tenemos mejorar nuestra pais aqui...
    thank you very much and we have no desier to leave here because we have to make our country better..

where is this latin contingent I am having trouble finding anything via google? if there is a forum here please lead me to it. thank you.

The e-verify sticker in the window of business establishments is a very GOOD idea and would increase business for those who display it. I think we should contact e-verify and suggest this. It is more constructive than my idea that was expressed out of anger.
    Hi Mexigrrrl and welcome to ALIPAC. We do not have a specific forum for spanish speakers but we do have many Latinos who post on our site, one of whom lives in Mexico.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast