Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

No, I've never heard of Dave Ramsey, but I'll check it out.

=
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

April
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogo
    Quote Originally Posted by April
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogo
    Quote Originally Posted by nntrixie
    I agree totally. It's something I have been thinking about for several years now.

Get yourself out of debt, stop wasting money at Wal Mart on Chinese geegaws, pinch the pennies as never before.

Buy a pressure cooker and some jars -

Gloom and doom - it may sound that way.

Actually, I just think it's a pretty good way to live. It's time we stop being an accessory to the destruction of this country by wasting our money and by spending it with those who import illegals andn those who sell shoddy merchandise.
    Have you ever heard of Dave Ramsey. He has a program called "Financial Peace University" You can take it on line or find a group near your home. He also have a book called the "Total Money Makeover" He teaches you how to get out of debt, how to save, how to invest etc. I think its 10 steps. He starts you out easy and builds you up to being completely debt free and he considers the paid off mortgage the new status symbol.
    I enjoy listening to Dave, he has lots of good advice.
    He really does. Did you listen to the links of audio that a new poster put on the forum today about the financial crisis and how Dave explained it. It was concise and easy to understand. It's a solution that Dems don't want.
    Yes Dave is very easy to understand, a really good instructor!

April

=
    It is definitely worth your time.

=
    It is definitely worth your time.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Cayla and April

Come on down. We'll do some canning, can you sew? I only have one treadle machine, though.

vmonkey I didn't understand, about the pillowcase.

Now water might be a problem, if the city can't provide it, but we are seriously working on getting a well. This is the first time in decades we haven't had a well, though - and I confess to feeling vulnerable.

There's a creek nearby.

You are not allowed to kill any squirrels, unless it really gets bad and no, not, never the wild rabbit that lives under the storage building.

Lots of doves, though.
    YOU ROCK nntrixie, I am sure with you, we would be great survivors!
    I was born and raised on a Dairy farm in a state(MI.) with Deer and small game hunting season and many lakes, streams and rivers. My home town was a Farming and Logging town, so most of us were self sufficient so most of us lived on what we had, So most of my life I've carried survival and fishing/camping gear in the tool box of my truck just reasons like this.

I'm willing to help any fellow American who feels that they aren't prepared to survive on their own.

We need to get together, form groups, and start helping one another. Live like Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn did.
    ------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by SicNTiredInSoCal
    I was just having this conversation with my Dad over the weekend. I was telling him I want to learn more survivalist tactics and what to do during a disaster/attack. There is a book out there called "When All Hell Breaks Loose". I can't remember the authors name, but I heard him talk about it on talk radio a few months back. Told you everything from how to store food, how much we should all have in storage, to what to do with your poop when there is no longer any running water.

I'd also like to learn how to can. Are there any good sources on the net for this?? I have already started buying food and water for storage.
    When All Hell Breaks Loose:
    Stuff You Need To Survive When Disaster Strikes

http://www.tldm.org/tldmstore/WhenAllHe ... sLoose.htm
    ------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by mkfarnam
    Quote Originally Posted by SicNTiredInSoCal
    I was just having this conversation with my Dad over the weekend. I was telling him I want to learn more survivalist tactics and what to do during a disaster/attack. There is a book out there called "When All Hell Breaks Loose". I can't remember the authors name, but I heard him talk about it on talk radio a few months back. Told you everything from how to store food, how much we should all have in storage, to what to do with your poop when there is no longer any running water.

I'd also like to learn how to can. Are there any good sources on the net for this?? I have already started buying food and water for storage.
    When All Hell Breaks Loose:
    Stuff You Need To Survive When Disaster Strikes

http://www.tldm.org/tldmstore/WhenAllHe ... sLoose.htm
    Authors name is Cody Lundin. Went to the library and found the book. What a good read!!!!!

MW
    Chexfive wrote:

I really like the chili idea too, I can add ground beef to it and remove some of the vinison taste and the rest should be covered with the chili.
    Why would you want to remove the vinison taste? I love 'good' vinison (steaks, ribs, roast, and stew). With that said, 'bad' vinison can be really BAD.

This may be helpful:

[quote] Proper Care of Venison is Necessary for Excellent-Quality Meat

Wildlife: October 2004
    Other Wildlife Articles
    by Mike Porter

All venison is not equal. Venison can be consistently excellent table fare, or, with poor handling and preparation, can be about the quality of a boot sole. Many people who do not like to eat venison had bad experiences with improperly handled or prepared meat. Many factors affect the quality of venison, including deer species, deer age, stress prior to harvest, field dressing, contamination of meat, cold storage temperature, excessive moisture during storage, aging of carcass, butchering and packaging.

To keep things simple, these comments focus on the meat of wild, free-ranging white-tailed deer and mule deer. Some of these details would be different for large deer species such as moose, elk and caribou or non-native deer such as fallow, axis and red deer.

Meat from mature bucks more than four years old that are harvested during rut sometimes can have a little off-flavor and be a little tougher than female deer and young bucks. Nevertheless, mature bucks are usually very edible when handled, aged and butchered properly. Genetics most likely impact tenderness of venison, because I have encountered some old does that were more tender than some young does. However, I do not know how a hunter can recognize a deer with the genetics for tenderness.

A clean, quick kill of an undisturbed deer probably provides the best-quality venison. Meat quality usually declines in animals that are stressed or run extensively immediately before death. A deer should be eviscerated (field dressed) immediately after death, but this can be postponed up to a couple hours during mild weather and even longer during cold weather. The combination of evisceration and the bullet or arrow wound usually adequately bleed a deer—there is no need to cut a dead deer’s throat. Also, contrary to popular belief, it is not necessary to remove the metatarsal glands because they do not affect the meat after death. However, avoid rubbing the glands on the meat and avoid handling the glands and then handling the meat without washing well.

Soon after evisceration, the carcass or quartered meat should be cooled and stored at 34-38 degrees Fahrenheit. The carcass is easiest to skin soon postmortem, but skinning can be postponed for a few days as long as the carcass is quickly and thoroughly cooled. Tenderness is generally improved when the carcass or quartered meat is aged at least a week at 34 to 38 F with good air circulation around any exposed meat. Air circulation around exposed meat causes its surface to dry—the dry layer should be trimmed off during butchering. Tenderness continues to improve during the cold storage aging process until about 16 to 21 days. The meat that will be ground and the tenderloins do not need to be aged. Freezing should be avoided during the aging process because it inhibits aging and speeds spoilage after thawing. However, meat does not go bad when it freezes during the aging process. The meat should be kept clean and dry throughout field dressing, cold storage and aging processes. Soiling and excessive moisture increase the likelihood of spoilage.

After the aging process, fat, cartilage, bruised meat, dried outer meat and non-muscle material should be removed from the muscles using a sharp filet or boning knife while working on a clean, cool cutting surface. I believe fat is the most common source of off-flavor in venison. Several chemicals that cause off-flavor are stored in fat. Venison fat usually leaves an aftertaste or residue in the mouth and is less palatable than beef, pork or chicken fat. Cartilage, such as tendons, ligaments and fascia, are responsible for much of the toughness in meat.

For most of my venison recipes, I prefer to separate each muscle and cut slices or chunks across the grain of the muscle. The muscles from the tenderloins, back straps and hindquarters are the best choices for frying, grilling and roasting (these muscles are ranked in order of decreasing tenderness, but all are good quality). These muscles, as well as the neck, shoulder and flank muscles, can be used in other recipes such as stews, fajitas, chilies, smoked meats, sausages and hamburgers. Some recipes that work well with beef or pork may not work well with white-tailed or mule deer because these deer meats tend to be “dry,â€

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The 'wild' taste or 'gamey' taste takes a little getting used to - and it's kinda new to me. The soaking in milk overnight did tone it down a lot.

Now for chili or sausage, I didn't soak, and I didn't notice it at all.

Cayla and April

Come on down. We'll do some canning, can you sew? I only have one treadle machine, though.

vmonkey I didn't understand, about the pillowcase.

Now water might be a problem, if the city can't provide it, but we are seriously working on getting a well. This is the first time in decades we haven't had a well, though - and I confess to feeling vulnerable.

There's a creek nearby.

You are not allowed to kill any squirrels, unless it really gets bad and no, not, never the wild rabbit that lives under the storage building.

Lots of doves, though.

I just order distilled water from Arrowhead. I order more than I use in a month, that way I have plenty on hand and it is constantly being rotated.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast