Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Trump hits 'hostile' media, 'rogue' Scarborough, 'disappointed' in McConnell

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Trump hits 'hostile' media, 'rogue' Scarborough, 'disappointed' in McConnell

Trump hits 'hostile' media, 'rogue' Scarborough, 'disappointed' in McConnell
    By Howard Kurtz Published June 19, 2016

EXCLUSIVE: Donald Trump views himself as battling an intensifying wave of “media hostility” and is “disappointed” in the growing chorus of criticism from Republican leaders.

In an interview, Trump shrugged off his slippage in the polls, boasted of his big crowds and predicted he would win “big league,” even though he says the critical media attention is hurting him.

Trump wouldn’t admit to any mistakes, even in tone, after the Orlando massacre. And he is particularly puzzled by the way Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is chiding him.

In short, even as pundits and many in his own party are clamoring for a course correction and a softer rhetorical style, the presumptive nominee made clear he doesn’t plan any major changes.

Trump sees a drastic shift in the media since he clinched the nomination: “When I was running against 16 Republicans, it was somewhat unfair, but at least you could see it. Now it’s beyond belief. They are protecting Hillary Clinton like you wouldn’t believe. I don’t think it helps, but I think I’m going to end up winning.”

He added that the media are “very negative toward a Republican, toward a conservative Republican, and certainly very negative toward me,” saying they report only a quarter of each statement he issues. That is true for most candidate releases.

Ignoring several polls that show him trailing Clinton by six to 12 points, Trump cited a One America survey that has him at only a 2-point deficit.

The only hint that things have hit a rough pitch came when Trump told me that “maybe certain things we’re not 100 percent happy with” in his “very young campaign,” but he declined to elaborate. He conceded the challenge he faces on the electoral map, saying, “The Democratic road is very much easier than the Republican road to the White House.”

The billionaire has given his detractors ample ammunition in the last three weeks, a period that stretches from his remarks about the Mexican heritage of the judge in the Trump University case to his tweets about having predicted a terrorist attack such as the one in Orlando but not wanting any congratulations.

Trump has been hammered for saying on “Fox & Friends” that when it comes to fighting terrorism, President Obama is either “not tough, not smart, or he's got something else in mind. And the something else in mind, you know, people can't believe it.”

Speaking by phone from Texas on Friday, Trump dismissed the resulting firestorm.

“I don’t think Orlando was a mistake at all,” he said of his comments. “I’m saying what everyone else is saying and thinking. The problem is everyone wants to be politically correct, and you can’t be politically correct because these people are after our country, they’re after our lives.”

With rising unease among Hill Republicans, McConnell told Bloomberg News that Trump should pick an experienced running mate “because it's pretty obvious he doesn't know a lot about the issues…I object to a whole series of things that he's said -- vehemently object to them,” including “these attacks on various ethnic groups in the country."

“I’m so surprised at Mitch,” Trump told me. “You’d think he’d be very positive. I always thought I had a good relationship with Mitch, but perhaps I don’t.”

The candidate said the press overlooks the fact that some members of the GOP are backing him, and proclaimed a “great relationship” with party chairman Reince Priebus.

“I’m disappointed that some of the Republicans aren’t more positive, but I think in the end they will be…You wonder why they’re doing that.”

He also brought up his former rivals: “Some of them wouldn’t endorse me because I beat them very badly. And I even understand it. It was a rough, rough primary.”

Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio and John Kasich are among those who remain sharply critical of Trump, despite having pledged to support the nominee.

During the primaries, “they wanted me to sign the pledge,” Trump recalled. “The pressure was unbelievable.”

We talked about his decision to yank the Washington Post’s credentials, based on its headline about the “Fox & Friends” comments: “Donald Trump Suggests President Obama Was Involved with Orlando Shooting.” The paper, on its own, later softened this to “Donald Trump Seems to Connect President Obama to Orlando Shooting.”

How does Trump benefit by adding the Post to a group of media outlets whose credentials have been revoked?

“At some point I would love to give it back if I’m covered fairly, but that was only an indication of the kind of press they give me,” he replied. “They actually said that I essentially said Obama was in cahoots with this guy that did the killing. It was a horrible headline, an unfair headline.”

What about the New York Times, which Trump has repeatedly criticized? He deflected a question about its credentials, but said “the New York Times has certainly been marginal, hasn’t been much better than the Washington Post.” Trump added that its chief Washington correspondent, David Sanger, has been fair.

Without prompting, Trump brought up Politico, whose credentials were revoked months ago. He took issue with the website’s reporting on rivalries within his campaign and tensions between the candidate and the RNC.

Trump said he has read such accounts “in very dishonest places like Politico. I don’t even talk to them. They make things up, they’re fiction. Politico is fiction.” A spokesman for Politico declined to comment.

Perhaps his strongest words were reserved for MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough. The former Republican congressman, who regularly interviewed Trump and talked up his chances during the primaries, has turned harshly critical in recent weeks. The candidate says he’s stopped watching “Morning Joe.”

“As soon as I won the nomination,” Trump said, “he went essentially to the Democrats’ side. He went totally rogue. He was embarrassed to be so high on a Republican…It’s very dishonest what he’s saying.”

Scarborough told me that he and co-host Mika Brzezinski have been friendly with Trump for years. “It’s sad for Mika and me to see him fall off a cliff, chasing conspiracy theories, suggesting the president is connected with ISIS…Suggesting a judge from Indiana is incapable of fairly ruling on certain cases because his parents, like Donald Trump’s, weren’t born in America. And his continued vilification of 1.5 billion Muslims is un-American.”

Scarborough said Trump had no complaint when his analysis was upbeat: “You can’t love John Madden when he says your team is going to win the Super Bowl, then hate John Madden when you start throwing the ball backwards 20 times a game.”

Trump, for his part, sees a different motivation in Scarborough’s shift. “I’m sure MSNBC puts tremendous pressure on him and he wants to keep his job,” Trump told me.

But Scarborough said he was forecasting Trump’s nomination last year: “If the liberal network MSNBC had any influence on us, they certainly would have asserted it and suggested we not be so far out in our predictions on Donald Trump.”

For weeks now, Trump’s tight-knit campaign has been battered by critics on the right as well as the left, amid growing pessimism about his general election chances. Before wrapping up the conversation, Trump offered this observation:

“I was written off five times in the primaries. I ended up coming back stronger than I ever was.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016...mcconnell.html
    Last edited by Judy; 06-19-2016 at 07:47 AM.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

It's disappointing and depressing to some extent to see the Joe Scarborough's and the Mitch McConnell's react negatively to reported statements by Trump that weren't actually his statements at all.

Trump never said the Judge was biased because he was Mexican and couldn't do his job because he was Mexican. Trump said the Judge was biased against Donald Trump because the Judge is of Mexican heritage AND Trump wants to build a wall. That's what he said. I heard the interview. You can't comment or report on this statement with only half of it, you have to comment and report on the whole statement. Look at the animosity and outright hatred shown by many Mexicans and Mexican Americans against Trump and Trump Supporters simply because we want to build a wall, deport illegal aliens and enforce US immigration law. Is there some reason to believe the Judges are exempt from these biases against US immigration law? No, there is not.

Most Hispanic Americans like all Americans want our borders secured, our laws enforced and probably support building the wall to help achieve that. But there is the heritage loyalty of many, this Judge has risen up based on his National Hispanic Bar Association and La Raza Lawyers ties, so there is nothing at all wrong with a defendant in a lawsuit believing probably correctly that the Judge in the case is biased against Trump because of his positions on illegal immigration and building the wall on the Mexican border, especially when the Judge selects and appoints a Democrat-Hillary friendly big donor law firm to represent the plaintiffs in this case.

As for the Muslim ban on immigration until we figure out what is going on, most Americans readily understand this and want it to stop the flow. Are we "racist"? No. Are we "bigots"? No. Are we "xenophobes"? No. Then why call Trump those awful erroneous names? Bias and dishonesty in the media, Joe Scarborough, you pompous self-over-rated ass.
    Last edited by Judy; 06-19-2016 at 08:00 AM.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

this is for congress when we vote for you to get in the wh & you was to help our country .
    & then you get in well you did not do what you said you was going to do at all you just for got us you saw Our country was in a mess did you care no . & when trump said he going to run for Presidnet all hell broke out . & you all kick the shit out of him why he want the wall up & to stop all of the bad guy's from coming in he right look at what going on , it one hell of a shit house . & he want to clean it up Im with him we need job's( I don't care if you Republian's or Democrat )if you can do the job that we want good you all knock each other down trump is the best thing that could happen to our country he tell it like it is & you don't like that . (now obama & Hillary & Paul Ryan) Obama should be impeached a Long time ago don't know why our congress don't do the job right . go look at your history & see who they Impeached if congress can do that why in hell don't congress do it again ?as for hillary she should not be running. & that bernie he a two face , now he want to help Hillary to get trump out & this Ryan he another two faceI have watch you all & all you did was lie like hell. so if you was & kick trump down have fun.
    from what I see he going to win & he right about the gun & every thing he said so you all should listen to what he said & learn something . he one smart guy
    Good luck Trump
    God Bless the our country Help Get it Back