Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Trump says he'll sign order with 'road to citizenship' for DACA recipients

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Trump says he'll sign order with 'road to citizenship' for DACA recipients

Trump says he'll sign order with 'road to citizenship' for DACA recipients

BY RAFAEL BERNAL - 07/10/20 06:42 PM EDT 114

President Trump said Friday he intends to sign an executive order on immigration within the next month that he said will include a "road to citizenship" for recipients of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.

In an interview with Telemundo anchor José Díaz-Balart, Trump blamed Democrats from walking away from a deal on DACA and said the Supreme Court's decision last month blocking his administration's plan to end the Obama-era program gave him "tremendous power."

"The deal was done. DACA is going to be just fine. We’re putting it in. It's going to be just fine. And I am going to be, over the next few weeks, signing an immigration bill that a lot of people don't know about. You have breaking news, but I'm signing a big immigration bill," Trump told Díaz-Balart.

"Is that an executive order?" the anchor asked.

"I'm going to do a big executive order. I have the power to do it as president and I'm going to make DACA a part of it," Trump responded. "But, we put it in, and we'll probably going to then be taking it out.

We're working out the legal complexities right now, but I'm going to be signing a very major immigration bill as an executive order, which Supreme Court now, because of the DACA decision, has given me the power to do that."

Asked whether the executive order would provide temporary relief for DACA recipients, Trump said its scope would be much wider.

"No, what I'm going to do is that they're going to part of a much bigger bill on immigration. It's going to be a very big bill, a very good bill, and merit-based bill and it will include DACA, and I think people are going to be very happy," said Trump.

"But one of the aspects of the bill is going to be DACA. We're going to have a road to citizenship," he added.

It's unclear whether the president can grant a category of undocumented immigrants – in this case DACA beneficiaries – permanent legal status with a road to citizenship.

When former President Obama created the program through a Department of Homeland Security memorandum in 2012, he was criticized for executive overreach, although DACA only provides temporary deferral from deportation and a work permit to certain undocumented immigrants who meet a set of conditions.

After Trump rescinded that memo in 2017, he gave Congress six months to pass a statutory replacement for DACA, sparking a flurry of legislative activity that ultimately ended in a deadlock, as the White House nixed a nascent bipartisan agreement.

That legislation was replaced by a Republican-led bill, which included provisions unacceptable to Democrats, such as severe reductions of family-based immigration and the diversity visa program.

Negotiations fully broke down after Trump's rescission was blocked by the courts, starting a two-year process that ended in June's Supreme Court ruling.

In Trump's view, the Democrats broke a deal in leaving the negotiating table after the bipartisan deal had been nixed by the White House.

"I had a deal with the Democrats and they broke the deal. The DACA could have been taken care of two years ago, but the Democrats broke the deal. All of a sudden they just broke it for no reason. Actually, they had a court case that slightly went their way, and they said, 'Oh, let's not talk about the deal anymore,'" Trump told Díaz-Balart.

But Trump said he feels empowered by the Supreme Court ruling, in which Chief Justice John Roberts affirmed the executive branch has the power to do away with DACA, but that proper procedure was not followed in the 2017 order.

"If you look at the Supreme Court ruling, they gave the president tremendous powers when they said that you could take in, in this case, 700 thousand or so people, so they gave powers," said Trump.

"Based on the powers that they gave, I'm going to be doing an immigration bill. One of the aspects of the bill that you will be very happy with, and that a lot of people will be, including me and a lot of Republicans, by the way, will be DACA. It will give them a road to citizenship," he added.

Brett Samuels contributed to this report.

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...nship-for-daca

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Show them the "road" back home!

NO DACA

NO DEAL!
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL

We need to verify if this is true. If Trump does this and gives Amnesty to DACA illegal aliens he has no chance of winning in November.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Ted Cruz Slams Trump’s ‘Road to Citizenship’ Claim for Pending DACA Executive Order: ‘HUGE Mistake’

Tobias Hoonhout 1 hr ago

Trump just commuted Roger Stone’s sentence

Coronavirus updates: State's ICUs are 89% full

Ted Cruz Slams Trump’s ‘Road to Citizenship’ Claim for Pending DACA Executive Order: ‘HUGE Mistake’

Senator Ted Cruz warned the Trump administration not to include a “road to citizenship” for DACA recipients, after Trump implied one was coming in a new executive order on immigration he plans to sign “over the next few weeks.”
    © Tom Williams/Pool via Reuters Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) asks a question during the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing titled "Police Use of Force and Community Relations" in Washington, D.C., June 16, 2020. “There is ZERO constitutional authority for a President to create a ‘road to citizenship’ by executive fiat,” Cruz tweeted. “It was unconstitutional when Obama issued executive amnesty, and it would be a HUGE mistake if Trump tries to illegally expand amnesty.”

Cruz’s reaction came after Trump revealed in an interview with Telemundo that he would give DACA recipients “a road to citizenship” through an executive order.
    “We’re working out the legal complexities right now, but I’m going to be signing a major immigration bill as an executive order, which . . . because of the DACA decision, has given me the power to do that,” Trump said. He then seemed to contradict himself, saying that “we put it in, and we’re probably going to then be taking it out,” in an apparent reference to DACA.
    But when pressed by Jose Diaz-Balart on the order, Trump appeared to double-down.
    “One of the aspects of the bill is going to be DACA, we are going to have a road to citizenship. If you look at the Supreme Court ruling, they gave the president tremendous powers when they said that you could take in, in this case 700,000 or so people,” Trump claimed. “So they gave powers, based on the powers that they gave, I’m going to be doing an immigration bill — one of the aspects of the bill that you’ll be very happy with, and that a lot of people will be, including me, and a lot of Republicans by the way, will be DACA. We’ll give them a road to citizenship.”
    The comments clash with reports that emerged this week claiming that the Trump administration was restarting its attempt to end President Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program — which grants participants renewable deportation deferrals, but not a path to citizenship
    The reported move came after the Supreme Court said last month in a 5-4 decision that the Trump administration’s previous attempt to end DACA violated the Administrative Procedure Act’s “arbitrary and capricious” standard and could not move forward. In response, Trump said “nothing was lost or won” in the decision, adding that the court had “punted.” He has previously said that “a deal will be made” with Democrats over the status of DACA’s participants if his administration’s attempt to end the program was successful.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...99/ar-BB16Axrz
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Politics
    July 10, 2020 / 6:57 PM / Updated 24 minutes ago
    Trump's planned order on 'dreamer' immigrants will not include amnesty -White House

3 Min Read

(Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump’s planned executive order on immigration will not include amnesty for migrants who are in the United States illegally but arrived in the country as children, a White House spokesman said on Friday.

U.S. President Donald Trump listens during a roundtable discussion on Venezuela as he visits Iglesia Doral Jesus Worship Center in Doral, Florida, U.S., July 10, 2020. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

“This does not include amnesty,” White House spokesman Judd Deere said in a statement, after Trump said in a television interview his planned order would include a road to citizenship for such immigrants, known as “Dreamers.”
    Related Coverage

In the interview with Spanish-language TV network Telemundo, Trump said his executive order would involve Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), the program that protects hundreds of thousands of such immigrants from deportation.
    “I’m going to do a big executive order. ... And I’m going to make DACA a part of it,” Trump said. “We’re going to have a road to citizenship.”
    Advertisement

The U.S. Supreme Court last month dealt a major setback to Trump’s hardline immigration policies, blocking his bid to end DACA, which was created in 2012 by his Democratic predecessor Barack Obama.
    The ruling did not prevent Trump from trying again to end the program. But his administration may find it difficult to rescind it - and win any ensuing legal battle - before the Nov. 3 election in which he is seeking a second term in office.
    The White House statement said Trump’s executive order would establish a merit-based immigration system and reiterated that Trump would work with Congress on a legislative solution that “could include citizenship, along with strong border security and permanent merit-based reforms,” but no amnesty.
    Advertisement

Roughly 644,000 people - mostly Hispanic immigrants born in Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras - are currently enrolled in DACA, which protects them from deportation and provides them work permits. Their average age is 26. It does not offer a path to citizenship.
    Trump’s remarks to Telemundo drew an immediate rebuke from his fellow Republican, Senator Ted Cruz, who wrote in a Twitter post that “it would be a HUGE mistake if Trump tries to illegally expand amnesty.”
    “There is ZERO constitutional authority for a President to create a “road to citizenship” by executive fiat,” Cruz wrote.
    Trump gave the interview to Telemundo as part of his outreach to Hispanic voters, who will be crucial to the outcome of his Nov. 3 election showdown with Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN24B35E

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC View Post
    We need to verify if this is true. If Trump does this and gives Amnesty to DACA illegal aliens he has no chance of winning in November.
    That will take a while:

And I am going to be, over the next few weeks, signing an immigration bill that a lot of people don't know about. You have breaking news, but I'm signing a big immigration bill," Trump told Díaz-Balart.
    NO AMNESTY

NO AMNESTY

Clearly an attempt from Trump to capture Legal Hispanic votes.

Various rates of Hispanic per southwestern state:
    2010 Census
    New Mexico 47%
    California 38.1%

Texas 39.6 (2018 Texas Estimate)

Arizona 31.7% Census 2019.

They now are becoming a voting bloc that can shift the course of the country.

Black Pigeon Speaks can discuss the details. I leave the details to those who can better express them.

NO AMNESTY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast