Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Trump slams McCain for being ‘captured’ in Vietnam; Republicans quickly condemn him

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Trump slams McCain for being ‘captured’ in Vietnam; Republicans quickly condemn him

Trump slams McCain for being ‘captured’ in Vietnam; other Republicans quickly condemn him

By Philip Rucker July 18 at 3:30 PM

AMES, Iowa -- Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump slammed Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), a decorated Vietnam War veteran, on Saturday by saying McCain was not a war hero because he was captured by the North Vietnamese.

"He's not a war hero," Trump said. Sarcastically, Trump quipped, "He's a war hero because he was captured." Then, he added, "I like people that weren't captured."

Trump's comments came during his appearance at the Family Leadership Summit, a day-long gathering of about 3,000 social conservative activists that is drawing nine other Republican presidential candidates.

[The Fix: Donald Trump disparaged John McCain’s military service. Is this the end of his run?]

A celebrity businessman and reality television star, Trump has surged to the top of polls in the GOP race, in part because of his inflammatory comments about undocumented immigrants from Mexico.

Republican leaders and other candidates have been careful in how they respond to his immigration remarks, but his condemnation of McCain opened the floodgates, drawing swift and sharp criticism from other Republicans.

Former Texas governor Rick Perry, himself a subject of recent attacks from Trump, said Trump was "unfit" to serve as president and should "immediately withdraw" from the race.

"Donald Trump should apologize immediately for attacking Senator McCain and all veterans who have protected and served our country," Perry said in a statement. "As a veteran and an American, I respect Sen. McCain because he volunteered to serve his country. I cannot say the same of Mr. Trump. His comments have reached a new low in American politics. His attack on veterans make him unfit to be Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. Armed Forces, and he should immediately withdraw from the race for President."

[The Fix: Rick Perry just savaged Donald Trump. That’s smart.]

Jeb Bush, the former Florida governor, also chimed in with a Twitter post calling or an end to such "slanderous attacks":

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ed-in-vietnam/

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

While it is very refreshing to see someone wanting to correct things and being candid, this is the type of comment, attacking war veterans service, that is intolerable. Who is this man's best friend? While best friend has to be a difficult role, he/she needs to help him with where the lines of common sense decency are. this one he can be assured of facing in the debates.

This was over the line, this will not help him. The question is how much will it matter?

He did not attack Veterans, he attacked John McCain who drew first blood last week when he said all the people that like Trump are the GOP "crazies".

The thing that is clear about Donald Trump is that if you hit him or draw blood, he will hit you back and he wont play around.

What exactly has John McCain done that makes him a 'war hero' other than getting shot down by the North Vietnamese?

And any contributions John McCain ever made to the defense of America as a soldier have been more than nullified by his treason and the great damage
    he has done to America.

John McCain is the most despised member of the US Senate according to this week's poll and the most despised politician in America deserves no sympathy or quarter from any American that is upset about the destruction of our nation.

All of the Republicans bashing Trump saying he insulted all veterans are the amnesty supporters like Jeb Bush, Mitt Romney, Marco Rubio, and now unfortunately Scott Walker.

W
    Last edited by ALIPAC; 07-18-2015 at 07:38 PM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Trump said he avoided service in the Vietnam War
    through student deferments and a medical deferment, then said he didn't serve because "I was not a big fan of the Vietnam war."

The Latest: Trump tries to clarify McCain remarks

http://www.alipac.us/f9/trump-again-...ty-run-321372/
    NO AMNESTY

Gov. Bobby Jindal ✔@BobbyJindal
    John McCain is an American hero. I have nothing but respect for his service to our country.
    9:34 AM - 18 Jul 2015
    200 200 Retweets 230 230 favorites

Rick Perry ✔@GovernorPerry
    .@SenJohnMcCain is an American hero & all POW's deserve our nation's highest debt of gratitude. @realDonaldTrump's comments are disgraceful.
    9:35 AM - 18 Jul 2015
    809 809 Retweets 625 625 favorites

Jeb Bush ✔@JebBush
    Enough with the slanderous attacks. @SenJohnMcCain and all our veterans - particularly POWs have earned our respect and admiration.
    10:19 AM - 18 Jul 2015
    1,192 1,192 Retweets 1,177 1,177 favorites

http://www.businessinsider.com/donal...ar-hero-2015-7
    NO AMNESTY

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinssdad View Post
    While it is very refreshing to see someone wanting to correct things and being candid, this is the type of comment, attacking war veterans service, that is intolerable. Who is this man's best friend? While best friend has to be a difficult role, he/she needs to help him with where the lines of common sense decency are. this one he can be assured of facing in the debates.

This was over the line, this will not help him. The question is how much will it matter?
    I agree with you on this. There are certain lines that shouldn't be crossed and attacking ones service to country in a military capacity is one of them. I despise John McCain for what he has done as a politician, but as a former military member myself, I respect his service in the military. Disparaging an individuals military service is not a well advised move (IMO).
    Last edited by MW; 07-18-2015 at 10:27 PM.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    ALIPAC wrote:

All of the Republicans bashing Trump saying he insulted all veterans are the amnesty supporters like Jeb Bush, Mitt Romney, Marco Rubio, and now unfortunately Scott Walker.
    When did Scott Walker bash Trump? I'm not saying he didn't, but if he did, it's something I missed, which is possible. I did see a tweet where he said McCain was an American hero, but there was no bashing of Trump. Furthermore, to my knowledge Scott Walker has not come out any stronger than Trump has in support of an amnesty.
    Last edited by MW; 07-18-2015 at 10:40 PM.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The story is on the headlines of Washington Post and Drudge Report....

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, campaigning in Western Iowa, denounced Trump’s remarks and said McCain is “undoubtedly an American hero.” This is a change in tune for Walker, who on Friday refused to speak ill of Trump over his immigration comments.
    “He needs to apologize to Senator McCain and all the other men and women who have worn the uniform,” Walker told reporters following a campaign stop in Sioux City. “It’s just a disgrace.”
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ed-in-vietnam/
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    I agree with you on this. There are certain lines that shouldn't be crossed and attacking ones service to country in a military capacity is one of them. I despise John McCain for what he has done as a politician, but as a former military member myself, I respect his service in the military. Disparaging an individuals military service is not a well advised move (IMO).
    Trump said he avoided service in the Vietnam War

Anyone who has never been in the military, especially a politician who has never been in the military, should never speak ill of any veterans service.
    NO AMNESTY

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast