Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TX: Former Border Patrol agent, Marine eyes a run for 15th D

Former Border Patrol agent, Marine eyes a run for 15th District

Posted: Sunday, August 7, 2011 12:00 am | Updated: 3:01 pm, Sat Aug 6, 2011.

Bob Thaxton

Another prospective candidate is considering entering the race to represent the 15th District of Texas in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Jim Kuiken, who has announced the formation of an exploratory committee for a possible congressional race, is a former Border Patrol agent, Homeland Security executive and combat Marine.

"I've spent 34 years in public service one way or another. I've served my country in the military and by working on issues such as border and homeland security," Kuiken said. "People from across District 15 have asked me to answer a call to duty once again."

Several years ago, when friends first urged him to run for Congress, he believed the incumbents were doing the job adequately and he declined to run, Kuiken said. He now has decided there is an urgent need for reform in Congress. "We can't keep going down the road we've been going down," Kuiken said.

Asked where he's from originally, Kuiken said: "I'm kind of an Air Force brat. I grew up all over the world." His father was an Air Force officer, and the family moved wherever his father was stationed.

"I joined the Marine Corps and continued living wherever the Marines sent me," Kuiken said. "For the last 22 years, I've been a South Texan." His wife grew up in San Benito, and they now reside in Weslaco.

Kuiken served as a Marine in peacetime and in multiple wars, on active duty and in the reserves, for a total of 30 years, retiring in 2003. He received the Legion of Merit, the Purple Heart and other decorations before finishing his career as sergeant major for Marine Forces Pacific, the senior combatant command of the Marine Corps that included more than 79,000 Marines and sailors.While still serving in the Marine reserves, Kuiken began a career in law enforcement that started at the local level before he became a U.S. Border Patrol agent.

After serving on the southern border with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, he was promoted to special agent and stationed in Los Angeles where his work focused on gangs, international fugitives, organized crime and counter-terrorism.

Another promotion sent Kuiken to Washington, D.C., where he ascended from policy writer to special agent in charge and ultimately became director of the National Incident Response Unit which oversees ICE's efforts to deal with terrorist attacks, natural disasters and other national emergencies.

He later was chosen by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to be the department's attache and country director for Iraq where he assisted in diplomatic efforts to promote stability, freedom and self-governance there.

Kuiken said his experience in public service has prepared him to be a strong, focused and principled leader in almost any situation and that his background should serve him well in Congress.

He said the exploratory committee was established to determine the kind of support available in a race to represent the 15th District in Congress.

"We're going to do our research and see if this makes sense," Kuiken said.

On the home page of his website, www.KuikenForTexas.com, there is a photo of Kuiken, his wife Celia and President Ronald Reagan.

"I'm an old-fashioned, American-values kind of guy," Kuiken said. "I'm a conservative, and if I get into this, I will be running in the Republican primary."

Asked when he might make a decision on whether or not to run, he said: "We don't have a hard timetable, but I don't want this to last very long."

An affirmative decision would make Kuiken the second candidate to enter the race. Seguin businessman Dale Brueggemann announced his candidacy last month, and another possible contender is Eddie Zamora, a salesman from Edinburg, who in three elections has been the Republican nominee unsuccessfully challenging the incumbent, U.S. Rep. Ruben Hinojosa, D-Mercedes. Hinojosa is expected to announce a bid for re-election later this summer.

While Guadalupe County currently is in the 28th District represented by Henry Cuellar, D-Laredo, the Texas Legislature earlier this year adopted a congressional redistricting plan that places almost all of the county in the 15th District.

The 15th stretches from Guadalupe County in the north to Hidalgo County in the south.

Those are the largest counties in the district, and in between are Karnes, Live Oak, Duval, Jim Hogg and Brooks counties and part of Wilson County.

The Legislature's congressional redistricting plan has been challenged in federal court. While some observers expect the remap to be upheld by the court, others say it probably will be rejected and will have to be revised.

http://sequingazette.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Senior Member AmericanTreeFarmer's Avatar