Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

U.S. congressman: Reject 'Crescent' 9-11 memorial

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=46308

U.S. congressman: Reject 'Crescent' 9-11 memorial
    Tancredo calls Flight 93 monument 'unsuitable,' doesn't want it to be 'flashpoint for controversy'
    Posted: September 13, 2005
    6:10 p.m. Eastern

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

Model of Flight 93 memorial

The choice of a red crescent to honor the victims of Flight 93 who fought back against Muslim hijackers on 9-11 is being blasted as "unsuitable" by a U.S. congressman who is urging its rejection.

Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo., has sent a letter to the Interior Department, asking officials to reconsider the "Crescent of Embrace" design due to the symbol's ties to Islam.

"It has raised questions in some circles about whether the design, if constructed, will in fact make the memorial a tribute to the hijackers rather than the victims whose mission the flight's passengers helped to thwart," wrote Tancredo in a letter to Fran Mainella, director of the National Park Service. "Regardless of whether or not the invocation of a Muslim symbol by the memorial designer was intentional or not, it seems that such a symbol is unsuitable for paying appropriate tribute to the heroes of Flight 93 or the ensuing American struggle against radical Islam that their last historic act and the 'Let's Roll' effort has come to symbolize."

The heart of the memorial is a mile-long semicircle of red maples surrounding the place near Shanksville, Pa., where the flight's 40 passengers and crew were killed when the hijacked plane plunged into the ground Sept. 11, 2001.

"It seems to me that the [Interior] Department ought to direct the committee to choose a different design rather than moving forward with a design that could make the memorial a flashpoint for controversy and criticism," Tancredo continued.

Muslim Crescent

The design for the permanent memorial for Flight 93 was announced last week "amid overwhelming support from the Families of Flight 93 and the various partner organizations who are contributing to make the memorial a reality," according to the project's website.

It was designed by Paul Murdoch Architects of Los Angeles, with Nelson Byrd Woltz Landscape Architects of Charlottesville, Va.

As WorldNetDaily previously reported, a Pennsylvania pastor is also fighting the newly approved design of the memorial, based on the purported connection to Islam.

Rev. Ron McRae, head of the Bible Anabaptist Church near Jerome, Pa., about 55 miles from Pittsburgh, said a private group he formed might go to court to block the "Crescent of Embrace" symbol.

"This is a memorial to the terrorists who killed those people, not a memorial to the folks who died there innocently," McRae told the Tribune-Democrat newspaper in Johnstown, Pa.

The designer maintains he used the term crescent only in the architectural sense of a curved line.

"This is not about any religion per se," Murdoch told the paper. "It's a spiritual space, and a sacred place, but it's open to anyone."

Joanne Hanley, superintendent of the Flight 93 National Memorial, told the Associated Press "Crescent of Embrace" is the name of the design, not the memorial, and can be changed.

"The name is irrelevant, really," she said. "There's a lot of misinformation out there and conjecture and hidden meaning that just isn't there."

Related offer:

Shock a Muslim – with the truth!

Previous story:

Flight 93 victims honored with Muslim Crescent?
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Quote: This is a memorial to the terrorists who killed those people, not a memorial to the folks who died there innocently," McRae told the Tribune-Democrat newspaper in Johnstown, Pa.

Only in a watered down America, could this happen.

Great work on the part of TOM TANCREDO !! He saw what was happening and SPOKE UP. Are you trying to tell me GWB has never seen or been told about this cresent memorial ? I don't believe it. I say he would sit back and do nothing to stop it.

IMPEACH
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

So confused, can't call an illegal immigrant an illegal immigrant, and can’t say the pledge in school, terrorists being memorialized. What is next, American being sold in a global purchase agreement? Oh duh, they are working on that with FTAA and through the WTO, what am I thinking, must of had a brain freeze from that poopsicle that was being fed to me.
    "I can because I will, I will because I can" ME

rakishoner,
    It does seem bleak doesnt it?

LegalUSCitizen, Why would they give honour to those that did the terrible deed on 9/11? Makes no sense to me.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

The Crescent of Embrace is clearly a muslim insignia to represent Islam. These families are complete idiots and iam sorry if iam being rude about the families but they are so clueless to much of what the world is. Even with the 9/11 Commission which was a joke, thier is even a push to place understanding of terrorism at the Trade Center Location, it is so out of control this is BS.

Pro

Skimming through the text here, it doesn't make mention about who initally saw this as a disgrace. Listening to the news radio here, Tom was being beaten up because it was the widow of the piolot of flight 93 and she was upset that Tom didn't call her about something not sure the details.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_3026655?rss#
    "I can because I will, I will because I can" ME