Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

U.S. Senate refuses to hire additional agents

Senate shuns attempt to add agents

By Stephen Dinan
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    July 15, 2005

The Senate voted yesterday against fulfilling its pledge from last year to hire 2,000 more Border Patrol agents and fund 8,000 new detention beds for illegal aliens in fiscal 2006, as some potential presidential candidates weighed in on border security and illegal immigration.
    The intelligence overhaul bill that Congress passed and President Bush signed into law in December called for 2,000 new agents and 8,000 new detention beds every year for the next five years in order to meet a threat posed by illegal aliens.
    Yesterday's votes were on amendments to the Department of Homeland Security spending bill, which funds only 1,000 more agents and 2,240 more detention beds in fiscal 2006.
    Sen. John Ensign, Nevada Republican, had called for another 1,000 agents, and Sen. John McCain, Arizona Republican, called for 5,760 more beds in order to meet the goals set by last year's bill, with both increases being paid for by reducing grants to state and local governments.
    "Anybody who comes into the United States of America across our southern border today and is from a country other than Mexico, 95 percent chance they will continue their journey to wherever they want to go," Mr. McCain said. "We don't have enough detention facilities. We don't have enough beds."
    But Sen. Charles E. Schumer, New York Democrat, said the amendments would sap funds from local law enforcement.
    "That's the problem here. It's not in strengthening the borders. It's in taking away money from the people every day who defend us and, since 9/11, have new duties," he said.
    Both amendments failed -- Mr. Ensign's by a 60-38 vote, and Mr. McCain's 56-42. Later in the evening, the overall Homeland Security bill passed 96-1, with Sen. Tom Coburn, Oklahoma Republican, voting against it.
    The Senate debate came as Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff testified to both chambers of Congress that better homeland security requires a broad immigration policy change.
    Meanwhile, potential presidential candidates weighed in on yesterday's amendments and immigration policy, with Majority Leader Bill Frist, Tennessee Republican, voting for both amendments.
    "Immigrants have enhanced our history, and they will enhance our future, but we must make sure they come to America legally," Mr. Frist said. "It's a matter of security in a time of war. It's also a matter of morality for a caring nation and a nation of laws."
    Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, New York Democrat, who had made a splash recently with comments about cracking down on illegal immigration, voted against both amendments, as did Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts, the 2004 Democratic nominee, and Democratic Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr. of Delaware, who has said he plans to run.
    Mrs. Clinton's office didn't return a call for comment, but other prominent Democrats who are considered presidential candidates said they didn't want to vote for cuts in first-responder grants to localities.
    "Homeland security isn't served when we steal from firefighters, police officers and other first responders to hire Border Patrol agents," said David Wade, a spokesman for Mr. Kerry. "If the Republicans who run Congress had drafted a bill that actually meets our needs, none of these votes would be necessary."
    Norm Kurz, a spokesman for Mr. Biden, said the Delaware senator introduced his own bill earlier this year calling for an increase in agents and voted for the intelligence bill last year.
    "He just doesn't support doing these things at the expense of police, fire and EMTs," Mr. Kurz said.
    Mr. Kurz said Mr. Biden's bill called for 1,500 agents, although the text only shows 800 agents and 300 investigators.
    Sen. Rick Santorum, Pennsylvania Republican, and Sen. Evan Bayh, Indiana Democrat, voted against the Border Patrol increase but for the detention bed increase.
    Mr. Bayh's spokesman, Dan Pfeiffer, said the Homeland Security Department has said it can only train 1,200 to 1,500 agents a year right now anyway. He said Mr. Bayh voted for the detention beds because 90 percent of aliens who aren't detained never show up at their deportation hearings.
    Robert Traynham, a spokesman for Mr. Santorum, agreed, saying the detention beds money could be spent this year.
    "The senator is for border security, but he would like for us to spend it in a responsible and approriate way," Mr. Traynham said.
    Sen. Ken Salazar of Colorado was the only Democrat to vote for both amendments.

Now you know where your lawmakers stand on securing our borders. They would rather hire extra cops in Sasquatch, Iowa and other known hotbeads of terrorism that protect our borders. What a bunch of self-serving, money grubbing, political hacks. - Scarecrow
    When we gonna wake up?

Why does this surprise me??? Of course, Bush only asked for TWO HUNDRED in HIS budget so I guess what we got is better than what he was willing to commit to. What we need is the NATIONAL GUARD protecting OUR borders rather than IRAQ'S borders. That would solve the problem. Wouldn't have to hire any more border patrol agents. That's asking the impossible because they will probably be in Iraq for YEARS while we sit over here being taken over by who knows what or whom.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

YUP! This is exactly why you cannot support ANY AMNESTY or Guest worker program! Remember Reagan's Amnesty of 1986 was supposed to end illegal immigration by employer sanctions and additional resources on the border.

This vote shows the hypocrisy! They want to do an amnesty yet will not put enough manpower on the border. THEY DON"T GET IT DO THEY?

We can't win! Too many Republicans want illegal immigrant labor and the Democrats want amnesty for social reasons!

WE NEED A THIRD PARTY!

SALAZAR MAY GET IT? The article above says Salazar was the only DEM to vote yes on both and he supports McCain Kennedy amnesty. So maybe he sees it like I do,, he can support another amnesty IF they control the border like they say they will but have not.......?

After yesterday's vote in the Senate, I felt like we are just clawing our way uphill. ALL THE TIME! Are we making ANY progress?? It just seems like all of our politicians are bent on selling us out. I was just STUNNED that they voted down the extra border patrol agents and the extra detention beds. The public opinion does not seem to be sinking in with the biggest majority of our politicians and, in the process, they are just selling us down the river. The RIO GRANDE, I guess!
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

I've been involved in politics a long time, including the legislative side.

I've never seen or believed so much routine stupidity could even happen.

The only way things will change is if average Americans begin to hit the streets and put the fear of god into their public officials.

Public opinion polls mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING unless its backed up with action.

The problem too is that the public currently has no choice at the voting booth....every candidate is weak on the illegal alien issue...so either way you vote...you loose.

So all public officials need to be called onto the carpet back home in their districts. I assure you if Congressmen would routinely get met with a 100-200 extremely angry US CITIZENS back in their districts, they would think twice about how they vote.

Will Citizens in mass go out and picket?---no. So expect more of the same in Congress until voters stop acting like passive sheep.
    Steve
    Ohio Jobs & Justice PAC
    http://www.OJJPAC.org

TOM TANCREDO IS THE MAN, DON'T FORGET HIM!!

William, does ALIPAC have any plans for a ralley in any major city yet? We really need to get the ball rolling on this
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Steve IF we were to do anything illegal we get thrown in jail by some bleeding hearted liberal JUDGE! Thee Mexican government knows this so the are concerned about that New Hampshire case and they are backing the illegal.

We can join the 15,000 this fall on the border if you have the time and the money!

MALDEF, LA RAZA, LULAC, CARECEN are all supporteed by bleediing hearted liberals and even state Farm gave La Raza 8 million dollars! They are affraid of lawsuits......

So, I say this is going to have to get worse for the people to rise up!
    BUT they are not enough Difazio's D and Tancredo's R's out there!

People I talk to are mad but what can you do Steve? I write my politicians and I call...nothing changes!

And, don't forget the AFL-CIO. If y'all haven't seen the posts about the NC Department of Labor, check that out. Butterbean had posted a letter to the editor of the Durham, NC newspaper written by some lady who said she was director of NCOSH. Butterbean naturally assumed it was OSHA but, when I put it into Google, it turned out to be the AFL-CIO. WHat the woman was compaining about was the arrests of the 49 illegals working at Seymour Johnson AFB. She thought it was "CRUEL" that ICE set them up for the arrest by telling them that it was an OSHA meeting and that they would be given free coffee and donuts!!!! I wrote SCATHING letters to the NC Department of Labor and to this NCOSH woman. I also wrote letters to the editor of two newspapers. This just BURNED ME UP. They were DEFENDING THESE LAWBREAKERS.

We need to know the role call for the vote, we need to know. We need to protest at each location of those voted NO!

Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast