Like Tree2Likes

Thread: U.S. Senator Pushes For Details of Deutsche Bank's Dealings With Trump

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

U.S. Senator Pushes For Details of Deutsche Bank's Dealings With Trump

U.S. Senator Pushes For Details of Deutsche Bank's Dealings With Trump

TheStreet.com · 9 hours ago

Tony Owusu
    Apr 12, 2017 1:00 PM EDT

U.S. Senator Chris Van Hollen (D-MD) wrote a letter to Deutsche Bank (DB) asking for details on the bank's $340 million in personal loans to President Donald Trump while also asking for assurances that the bank is not using the loans as leverage against the president.

Trump has two mortgages and two loans with the bank and a venture in which he owns a 30% stake was extended a $950 million loan by Deutsche.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1408...ith-trump.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

US senator presses Deutsche Bank for details of Trump loans

Chris Van Hollen asks Germany’s biggest bank for assurances it will not use the US president’s loans as ‘leverage’

Stephanie Kirchgaessner and Luke Harding
    Wednesday 12 April 2017 12.29 EDT
    Last modified on Wednesday 12 April 2017 12.45 EDT

Germany’s biggest bank is coming under pressure from a US senator to give further details of its lending to Donald Trump and meetings it has had with the administration.

Chris Van Hollen has written to Deutsche Bank asking for assurances that it will not use the president’s outstanding multimillion-dollar loans as “leverage”. The Democratic senator is also demanding to know whether the bank has restructured Trump’s debt or sold it to “foreign entities”.

Trump currently has two loans and two mortgages with Deutsche Bank and owes it about $340m (£270m). The bank has also extended another $950m to a venture in which Trump owns a 30% stake, the Wall Street Journal reported in January.

Van Hollen, who sits on the Senate banking committee, said he had “great concern” about possible conflicts of interest between Deutsche and Trump and questions about whether the bank’s role as the president’s largest creditor could influence multiple ongoing investigations into the German bank.

In a letter to Bill Woodley, the CEO of Deutsche Bank America, the senator wrote: “I am asking that you do not use your institution’s ties to President Trump as leverage in any of these ongoing cases or ongoing regulatory oversight.

“Further, I ask that Deutsche Bank and its executives do not take any actions to assist Mr Trump in circumventing any of his ethical obligations to avoid conflicts of interest.”

Deutsche Bank says its position is that it will not comment or guide on any stories about Trump’s financial affairs.

The letter,sent on Wednesday and obtained by the Guardian, comes as Deutsche Bank faces ongoing investigations by the Department of Justice into alleged money laundering involving Russia. It is also in settlement talks with federal officials over its alleged role in the mortgage crisis.

Van Hollen and another prominent Democrat, Congresswoman Maxine Waters, have raised concerns about whether Jeff Sessions, the US attorney general, could oversee an impartial investigation given the bank’s close ties to the White House. Van Hollen said Sessions had not responded to an earlier letter about his oversight of the Deutsche probes at the DoJ, but Van Hollen’s position on the banking committee means the German bank could feel compelled to reply.

In recent months Deutsche Bank’s alleged links with Russia have come under intense scrutiny. The FBI, meanwhile, has announced that it is investigating possible collusion in the run-up to the US election between officials from the Trump campaign and the Kremlin.

In January the New York Department of Financial Services (DFS) fined the bank $425m for failing to prevent $10bn of Russian money laundering. The “mirror trades” scheme was run out of its Moscow office. The UK’s Financial Conduct Authority imposed a £163m fine – its biggest ever – for the same offence.

The previous month Deutsche paid $7.2bn to settle a decade-old toxic bond mis-selling scandal with the US Department of Justice.

In March it emerged Deutsche played a prominent role in a second Russian money-laundering scandal. It was one of dozens of western financial institutions that processed at least $20bn – and possibly more – of criminal Russian cash.

The scheme, “the Global Laundromat”, ran from 2010 to 2014.

The Global Laundromat: how did it work and who benefited?

Read more

The Guardian revealed in February that some of Trump’s immediate family members were clients of Deutsche, including the president’s daughter Ivanka, her husband, Jared Kushner, and Kushner’s mother, Seryl Stadtmauer.

In his letter Van Hollen said Kushner, the president’s trusted senior advisor, had a multimillion-dollar line of credit with the bank. Deutsche has provided $370m in financing for a Kushner Companies’ property in Time Square.

Deutsche has conducted a close internal examination of the US president’s personal account to gauge whether there are any suspicious connections to Russia. It was looking for evidence of whether loans to Trump, which were agreed in highly unusual circumstances, may have been underpinned by financial guarantees from Moscow. Sources inside Deutsche said no link was found.

But in his letter to Woodley, Van Hollen said he wanted more information about this internal review, triggered when Trump won the Republican nomination for president. The senator asked for a description of the bank’s “risk management” and whether any irregularities emerged during the internal inquiry.

Van Hollen is also seeking reassurances that the president and his family are not receiving preferential treatment in a way that would violate federal ethics laws, and further explanation of efforts to restructure Trump’s debt, including whether any had been sold to foreign entities.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...of-trump-loans

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Oh sure have at it. Lets see what the next big nothing-burger our Congressional Police State can come up with. We wouldn't want them taking up their time trying to fix our country, far better to waste their time and our money looking for dirt on the person who is.

Useless Congresscritters.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The more I read of these 'connections', I feel the urge to report my connections with the Russian lady at her garage sale.

I've been thinking about it and also there is something I didn't admit, up front.

I actually bought something from her - got a real good deal as well. I bought a brand new, still in packaging, metal threshold for some work we are doing on our home.

I suppose that could be construed as 'sinister', since she was Russian and she gave me a really good price.

It's all nothing-burgers. Trump has done business all over the country, and even all over the world. Of course he's going to have done business with banks and companies and individuals all over the world. Russians have branched out all over the world. Of course, their paths are going to cross at many places doing business with the same banks and entities. I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with it or why people are wasting their time on it.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    It's all nothing-burgers. Trump has done business all over the country, and even all over the world. Of course he's going to have done business with banks and companies and individuals all over the world. Russians have branched out all over the world. Of course, their paths are going to cross at many places doing business with the same banks and entities. I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with it or why people are wasting their time on it.
    I know that and you know that, but why, oh, why are these people still screaming about it and why are the lawmakers in Washington letting them get away with it? In fact, why are lawmakers, even those we want to be conservative, joining in the shrill screams????

It is just stupid and it makes our entire country look stupid.

I remember when the Watergate 'burglary' was announced, and we all learned Nixon hid some things. The American people said, 'So What?'. The news media hammered on it for months and months even getting down to talking about the fact he cursed - or used 'expletives'.

Boy, that was small potatoes - but the media got what they wanted in the end.

You know I expect certain things from the Democratic side of the One Party, they have to stick to their allotted scripts. The thing about the so called Republican side - they don't seem to stick to anything. I'd be hard put to decide exactly what they believe. It would be hard to decide what their constituents want. They just bend whichever way the wind blows. It's as if they are frightened of something, or someone, and it isn't the American people.

Because they sick lost snowflakes and hillary shrills. They are the sore losers who hate our country because someone picked on them in 3rd grade. It does indeed make our country look incredibly stupid if not crazy. Russia is totally befuddled. It's like everyone who still respected US from the ole days is watching this and going "oh my God, what's happened to the Americans". It's dangerous, too, because if they don't think we're solid, they'll look elsewhere for leadership. That's what Trump understands which is why he's doing some of the things he's doing that he might not have otherwise done at this time. Maybe later, but not in his first 80 days. He's saying "don't look at our crazy country right now, look here at me, I've got this, and I'm going to show you why."

So while Congress fiddles, states knit, and voters whine, he'll go fix the world. Maybe then he can pass his health care bill and tax reform, bring our jobs home and make American great again.