Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Unemployed White Men And Women Need Not Apply

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Unemployed White Men And Women Need Not Apply

Unemployed White Men And Women Need Not Apply

By Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA) February 20, 2014 6:55 am

(File Photo)

WASHINGTON -- President Obama is planning to introduce an initiative with specific targets: African-American and Hispanic men who have disproportionate rates of unemployment.Under the "My Brother's Keeper" program, foundations, businesses and community groups would develop plans to help men of color at particularly vulnerable times of their lives, administration officials said.
    In previewing the initiative during last month's State of the Union address, Obama said, "I'm reaching out to some of America's leading foundations and corporations on a new initiative to help more young men of color facing tough odds stay on track and reach their full potential."
    Obama had planned to hold a White House event last week to officially present the project, but it has been postponed because of bad weather.
    Among the challenges faced by the "My Brother's Keeper" program: The jobless rate for black men older than 20 in January was 12 percent, compared with 6.6 percent for the nation as a whole.
    For Hispanic men older than 20, the jobless rate last month was 8.2 percent.
    For younger blacks and Hispanics, unemployment rates are even higher.
    One model for the new effort is a mentoring program in Chicago called "Becoming A Man," which encourages young men to develop education and job training goals.
    In a meeting with Obama a year ago, members of the BAM program talked about problems with gangs, drugs, gun violence and substandard schools in their neighborhoods, and how so many young people are at risk for lives of crime, poverty or early death.
    Speaking after that meeting, the nation's first African-American president, who grew up with an absent father, said he told the group, "I had issues, too, when I was their age. I just had an environment that was a little more forgiving."
    Just as individuals have to change their approach and behavior, Obama said, "that's what it takes for communities to change. That's what it takes for countries to change. It's not easy."
    Young men in the BAM program are expected to attend the White House ceremony whenever it is re-scheduled.
    Two Obama administration officials discussed the "My Brother's Keeper" program on condition of anonymity so as not to pre-empt Obama's announcement.
    ----
    A service of YellowBrix, Inc.

http://www.gopusa.com/news/2014/02/2.../?subscriber=1

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

How, one might ask, can black Americans reach their potential, when so many of them are either structually unemployed or in prison.

'Bama wants amnesty for illegals and increased immigration. How will Americans of any color get jobs, when they can be undercut by docile, unorganized immigrants, legal or illegal. As far back as the 1920's, I think, Alfred P. Sloan said, "The business of business is business." If we want black men to work, we have to make sure that every American who is willing to work has a decent chance of getting a job. In the current environment, that very definitely is a reason to believe that Universal E-Verify is the best tool for making it impossible - or at least very difficult - for illegals to undercut Americans in the job market.

If counseling would work on a large scale, we wouldn't even need a BAM program. 'Bama is up to his usual business: saying anything, to get what he wants. Jobs are the only thing which will help Americans long term. Jobs are the only way that black Americans - especially black American men, - can come to believe that they actually do have a future in their own country.

If 'Bama actually wanted to help the poorest Americans - including those whose incomes no longer place them in the middle class - he would be banging the drum for Universal E-verify. Let's not hold our breath for that to happen.
    Americans first in this magnificent country

American jobs for American workers

Fair trade, not free trade
    Last edited by vistalad; 02-23-2014 at 07:53 PM.