Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Union City woman aids farm workers

Union City woman aids farm workers
    By Matthew Artz, STAFF WRITER
    Article Launched: 04/04/2007 02:49:29 AM PDT

UNION CITY — A year ago, Sylvia Casarez couldn't even walk into her garage, it was so full of tortillas, rice, beans and ramen noodles.
    Over two weeks, Casarez and about 30 other volunteers from Union City hauled the food in about 25 vehicles south to Greenfield, where migrant farm laborers had no work and almost nothing to eat.

This year hasn't been much better for the fruit pickers, so Casarez and others are gearing up for another food drive.

But they have some catching up to do. With the delivery scheduled for April 15, Casarez so far has collected only one bag of rice and beans and $200 in donations to buy additional groceries.

That would barely address the needs of about 2,500 indigenous workers from the Mexican state of Oaxaca now in Greenfield, a farming town in the Salinas Valley, 95 miles south of San Jose.

Casarez will be accepting donations through April 14. She is asking for tortillas, rice, beans, cooking oil, coffee, sugar, ramen noodles, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, chiles, fruit, eggs, toilet paper, toothpaste, cheese and candy, as well as checks or cash to buy additional groceries.

For more information, call her or Abe Moreno at (510) 489-4089.

Staff writer Matthew Artz covers Union City for The Argus. He can be reached at (510) 353-7003 or martz@angnewspapers.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.insidebayarea.com/timesstar/ci_5590277
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

where migrant farm laborers had no work and almost nothing to eat.
    Then, why the hell are they still in the USofA?

Why haven't they GONE HOME where they belong?

This makes not one bit of sense.......Starving rather than leaving?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hoping for the big handout...........

I'm thinking this article is illustrating what is happening to charitable giving. I have curtailed nearly all donations after watching the churches, United Way, Salvation Army, and on and on, support the illegal invasion. Charity is one thing, and then there is treason.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The ones I feel bad for are the American People who were put into the gutter as their jobs were outsourced. Odd thing though, I can't find any "Hoovervilles" anywhere.

They won't go back to where they belong cause you know how the song goes.........You got welfare in Amerika You got the food stamps in Amerika I pay no taxes in Amerika.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffdid
    They won't go back to where they belong cause you know how the song goes.........You got welfare in Amerika You got the food stamps in Amerika I pay no taxes in Amerika.
    Oh great! Now I have that song from West Side Story stuck in my head.
    I want to live in America, okay by me in America...
    Yeesh!

Quote Originally Posted by ProudAmericanFamily
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliffdid
    Oh great! Now I have that sond from West Side Story stuck in my head.
    I want to live in America, okay by me in America...
    Yeesh!
    Officer Krupke: You little wise apple! You want me to run you in?