Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

URGENT: Open Borders Waging a Call Battle Today

I picked this up on the immigrant solidarity network; it includes a toll free number we can use:

(I also saw that The House is trying to start up an amnesty bill (STRIVE Act), we gotta make calls to the house too)

9/6-7: Please call your Senators today and tomorrow!

A designated 1888 toll free number has been paid for by AFSC to facilitate this national two days of action. Talking points in English and Spanish included. Please make some phone calls today and tomorrow! Also, distribute them at your office waiting area or hang to clients and colleagues. Thank you. cc __________________________________________________ _______________

PRIORITY COMMUNITY ALERT

NATIONAL CALL-IN DAYS

American Friends Service Committee and Partners*

Invite Your Participation

Thursday September 6 & Friday September 7, 2007

Stop Immigration Enforcement-Only Policies

Take Action Now : The recently introduced Immigration Enforcement and Border Security Act of 2007 (S. 1984) focuses on punishing immigrant families, adding border fences, walls, and patrol agents, and increasing detention centers and deportations. In addition, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) finalized a new rule requiring employers who receive Social Security Administration (SSA) "no-match" letters to follow steps to prove that employees are authorized to work or risk liability. The policy misuses the letters, which are not intended for immigration enforcement, and could result in employment discrimination. Congress has received thousands of calls supporting enforcement-only measures that will harm immigrants and refugees. We must let Senate leaders know that this flawed legislation and DHS policy will not fix the out-of-date immigration system. Spread the word!

Call your Senator and Share this Action Alert !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On September 6th and 7th, use this toll free number 1-888-732-9404 . Ask to be connected to your Senator's office and tell your Senator:

§ Please say NO to S. 1984 ! - I urge you to oppose the Immigration Enforcement and Border Security Act of 2007 (S. 1984). More fences, walls, detention centers, agents and rounding up immigrants at their homes and workplaces are not the answer.

§ Please SUPPORT Congressional oversight of DHS's SSA "no match" letter policy including employer liability for employment discrimination and the complaint process.

§ Please say YES to constructive immigration reform that includes a path to permanent residency and citizenship, restores due process rights, stops the militarization of the southern border, and ensures humane policies that keep families together.

The toll-free number is provided courtesy of the American Friends Service Committee, a Quaker organization which works for social justice and peace ( www.afsc.org/immigrants-rights/ ). AFSC welcomes groups to circulate and use the toll-free number in support of non-partisan goals and without linking the alert to a website soliciting donations or actions which may be used to support partisan lobbying or work. (This nonpartisan disclaimer must be included in publications of the toll-free number).

Don't Forget to Forward this Message! For more information contact Sara Ibrahim at sibrahim@afsc.org or 1-202-483-6839.

* Partners (In Formation): Center for Community Change; Chicago Workers Collaborative; Church World Service; Coalición de Derechos Humanos (AZ); Coloradans for Immigrant Rights; Colorado Immigrant Rights Coalition; Denver Justice and Peace Committee; Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society; Irish Apostolate USA; Mennonite Central Committee, Washington Office; National Network for Immigrant & Refugee Rights; New Mexico Colonias Development Council; Rocky Mountain Peace and Justice Center; Sisters of Mercy of the Americas; United Methodist Church, General Board of Church and Society; Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations, The Workmen's Circle/Arbeter Ring .

AFSC AND PARTNERS NATIONAL CALL-IN DAYS TIPS

September 6 - 7, 2007

The purpose of these tips is to provide information on what to expect if you have not called Congress before. Please note that this is only an example and does not have to be read word for word.

1. Make sure you have the names of the Senators from your state. Consult the attached table.

2. Dial the toll-free number 1-888-732-9404. This number will connect you to the U.S. Capitol Switchboard. Remember to call between the hours of 9 am – 5 pm EST.

3. When the operator answers, you may ask: "May I please be connected to Senator ________'s (name of your Senator) office?

4. When you are connected to the office, a staff member will answer: "Hello, this is Senator ______'s ( name of your Senator ) office."

5. You should say your name, the city that you are from, and the reason you are calling. For example: "Hi, my name is (your name) and I'm calling from (name of your city and state). I'm calling to ask (your Senator ) to oppose S. 1984, to endorse Congressional oversight of the DHS's SSA "no-match" letter policy, and to support constructive immigration reform that protects the rights and well-being of immigrants. Can you please make sure he receives my message?"

6. You may be asked for your address, telephone number or e-mail address. The purpose of asking for your information is to track constituent phone calls and to follow-up with you about the Senator's position on the subject. If you wish to provide this information, please state it for the staff member. If you do not wish to provide this information, you may say: "I do not wish to give my address. May I give you my city and zip code?"

7. If you wish to receive information you may ask: "Can you please mail or e-mail me the Senator's position on this issue?" Finish by thanking the staff member for taking the call and let her/him know that you will be monitoring the Senator's action on this issue.

8. Repeat this process for your other Senator.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION AND FOR ADDING YOUR VOICE!

working4change
    Thanks for the Alert! Calling now.

Thanks as well, will call.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member NoIllegalsAllowed's Avatar
    While the idea of costing them money is nice I wouldn't use their toll free numbers to make calls due to them being able to monitor the calls. Pay for the call to the capital switchboard or at least use a non-immigration related toll free number.
    Free Ramos and Compean NOW!

S. 1984: Immigration Enforcement and Border Security Act of 2007

S 1984 IS

110th CONGRESS

1st Session

S. 1984
    To strengthen immigration enforcement and border security and for other purposes.

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

August 2, 2007

Mr. KYL (for himself, Mr. MCCAIN, Mr. CORNYN, Mr. GRAHAM, Mr. SESSIONS, Mr. MARTINEZ, and Mr. SPECTER) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on Finance

I read the entire bill and this is the only part I do not agree with.

SEC. 113. CATCH AND RETURN.

(a) Mandatory Detention- To deter illegal immigration, the Secretary shall detain, until the Secretary has effected the removal of every alien, who--

(1) is a national of a noncontiguous country;

Noncontiguous means that MEXICANS are not included!!!!

I have been campaigning for this!!!!! I have contacted MANY members of congress, as well as the Social Security Admn. Glad to see it happening!!!!

SEC. 253. INCREASING SECURITY AND INTEGRITY OF SOCIAL SECURITY CARDS.

(a) Fraud-Resistant, Tamper-Resistant, and Wear-Resistant Social Security Cards-

(1) ISSUANCE- Not later than the first day of the second fiscal year in which amounts are appropriated pursuant to subsection (e), the Commissioner of Social Security shall begin to administer and issue fraud-resistant, tamper-resistant, and wear-resistant social security cards displaying a photograph.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtex ... =s110-1984

PLEASE REVIEW THIS BILL AND COMENT ON ANYTHING YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.

Mr. KYL (for himself, Mr. MCCAIN, Mr. CORNYN, Mr. GRAHAM, Mr. SESSIONS, Mr. MARTINEZ, and Mr. SPECTER)
    I doubt I'd agree to much of anything involving these guys. Certainly wouldn't want to share a public restroom with any.

Anybody up to date on this??
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

TEXT OF BILL
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:s.01984:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S.1984
    Title: A bill to strengthen immigration enforcement and border security and for other purposes.
    Sponsor: Sen Kyl, Jon [AZ] (introduced 8/2/2007) Cosponsors (6)
    Latest Major Action: 8/2/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Finance.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

That bill was already passed and signed by the Pres. Remember we spent 2 days I think on it and got it through. That's the bill they are going by right now to enforce the laws. I think that pro illegal group is going to have a hard time getting them to rescind it now. Although, this big show of enforcement is just a farce anyway..
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I take that back. The President didn't have to sign it because the votes were overwhelming in both Houses.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.