Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

US Immigration - Making it Difficult For Legal Immigrants

An Indian, living and working in London whines about our immigration policy. Should we just tell him to shut up too???
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    US Immigration - Making it Difficult For Legal Immigrants
    November 17, 2007
    Dr Bhaskar Dasgupta

Now I understand that immigration has to be controlled. Hey, I am one myself and that too an economic immigrant now citizen. But many do not. Now see the stupid policy that the Americans are faced with. If you are born in USA, you get a citizenship, if you aren't born in the USA (with due apologies to Bruce Springsteen), then you have to go through amazingly stupid and frankly bizarre ways to become a legal immigrant.

So if you are of child bearing age, you will try to have a child so that the child becomes a US Citizen even if you are not. I quote: "About two-thirds of the children of the illegal immigrants detained in immigration raids in the past year were born in the United States, according to a study by the National Council of La Raza and the Urban Institute, groups that have pushed for gentler deportation policies for immigrant families."

And then the ham-fisted immigration police forcibly separate the mother from the breast feeding baby, the baby is given to social workers, the mother is taken to jail pending deportation.

If you had an ounce of common sense, what would you do? Change the law to consider family reunion visas, citizenship by family, deportation is done with a bit of concern that families are deported together (the illegal immigrants leave with their US Citizen babies anyway) etc. But not these people, I am afraid. And what's the end result? a family torn apart, and more importantly, the USA's image dragged into the toilet for being a mean unfeeling unemotional monster.

Remember this poem?

The New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

By Emma Lazarus

Lets have a bit of common sense and decency, folks, it doesn't feel good when you read about breast feeding babies being separated from their mothers.

Dr. Bhaskar Dasgupta works in the city of London in various capacities in the financial sector. He has worked and travelled widely around the world. The articles in here relate to his current studies and are strictly his opinion and do not reflect the position of his past or current employer(s). If you do want to blame somebody, then blame my sister and editor, she is responsible for everything, the ideas, the writing, the quotes, the drive, the israeli-palestinian crisis, global warming, the ozone layer depletion and the argentinian debt crisis.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Stop whining. The U.S. is already by far the most generous nation on earth when it comes to legal immgration.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Call out the W-A-A-A-A-A-M-B-U-L-A-N-C-E!

If you are born in USA, you get a citizenship, if you aren't born in the USA (with due apologies to Bruce Springsteen), then you have to go through amazingly stupid and frankly bizarre ways to become a legal immigrant.
    For one, there is no 'right' to immigrate here. It is a privilege, and a privilege only.

Two, if we made it so easy to come and/or stay here, I suspect millions, no wait, maybe billions, would try to do so. We cannot accommodate the sheer numbers even if we wanted to. In fact, many here, say we cannot the very large numbers coming here now.

Three, we already are the most generous nation in this regard with respect to legal and illegal entry and stay in the world.

So, Mr. Dasgupta, what is so wrong with our policy? India doesn't allow this level of legal (controlled) and illegal (uncontrolled) movement onto it's territory... We thank you for your frank assessment of our immigration policy, feel free to shut up anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by PhredE

If you are born in USA, you get a citizenship, if you aren't born in the USA (with due apologies to Bruce Springsteen), then you have to go through amazingly stupid and frankly bizarre ways to become a legal immigrant.
    For one, there is no 'right' to immigrate here. It is a privilege, and a privilege only.

Two, if we made it so easy to come and/or stay here, I suspect millions, no wait, maybe billions, would try to do so. We cannot accommodate the sheer numbers even if we wanted to. In fact, many here, say we cannot the very large numbers coming here now.

Three, we already are the most generous nation in this regard with respect to legal and illegal entry and stay in the world.

So, Mr. Dasgupta, what is so wrong with our policy? India doesn't allow this level of legal (controlled) and illegal (uncontrolled) movement onto it's territory... We thank you for your frank assessment of our immigration policy, feel free to shut up anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by PhredE

So, Mr. Dasgupta, what is so wrong with our policy? India doesn't allow this level of legal (controlled) and illegal (uncontrolled) movement onto it's territory... We thank you for your frank assessment of our immigration policy, feel free to shut up anytime

I think our weak Immigration Policy is what has caused all of the problems so far.

I think it would help if the Immigration Laws on the Books were enforced.

I think most of our ridiculous policies offering open arms in the way of free food, education, no tax enforcement and collection etc. are the draw. It would seem very attractive to me.

I think that the threat and reality of Terrorism, has changed things, and we must be much more selective.

I think it is going to require restrictions on all immigration to get this under control. What we have is a runaway high speed train.

I think Americans that were open to legal immigration are starting to sour
    because of all the illegal immigration.

No matter how lenient and generous we have been and will be in the future, we have Ungrateful, Demanding, Self-centered folks that will criticize the US. It is not our job.

I think our crooked, self centered, idiotic, politicians are the reason nothing has been done, and nothing is being done now.
    I'm "Dot" and I am LEGAL!

Good analysis, bootsalinda. I completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by zeezil
    Good analysis, bootsalinda. I completely agree.
    I second that!

Quote Originally Posted by bootsalinda
    No matter how lenient and generous we have been and will be in the future, we have Ungrateful, Demanding, Self-centered folks that will criticize the US. It is not our job.
    So true.