Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

VA: John Warner (R-VA) Has Aligned With S.1348, He Writes

Dear "LynnS",

Thank you for contacting me regarding legislation on border security and immigraiton policy. I appreciate your views on these important issues

As you may know, on May 21, 2007 the Senate commenced debate on border security and immigration reform. Given the seriousness of the immigration issues that face America today and the strongly held views by all Americans on all sides of these issues, I believe it is important for Congress to engage in this debate and to work the will of the Senate on these complex matters through a fair and open amendment process. Currently, the Senate is engaged in this debate as it considers a number of amendments to a Senate bill that would focus on three main areas.

First, I hold the view that the Congress should not pass an amnesty bill. In that spirit, I am pleased to report that, in the Senate, there is broad agreement that securing our borders is imperative. The proposed and pending legislation will secure our borders and enhance enforcement of our immigration laws. The bill authorizes the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to: construct 300 miles of vehicle barriers, 105 radar and camera towers, and 370 mioels of fencing along the land border shared by the United States and Mexico; provide 31,500 detention beds; hire and train 20,000 additional border agents; and implement a mandatory system of electronic employment verification beyond its current pilot program to prevent unauthorized workers. Additionally, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) is required to report to Congress on DHS progress on these provisions. Only after DHS has certified that it has completed these benchmarks could the new immigration reform provisions under the bill take effect.

The second portion of the proposed border security and immigration reform bill creates a legal temporary guest worker program, known as the Y-visa program. This program allows non-immigrant workers to work in the U. S. legally so long as they have secured employment in advance of their arrival to the U. S. and are filling positions that employers have been unable to fill with domestic workers. These workers are authorized to work in the U.S. for a two year period before returning home for one year. These Y visas could be renewed twice for a maximum of six years working in the U.S. under the program. If the non-immigrant workers want to live and work permanently in the U.S., they would have to go back to their home country and seek legal permanent residency (LPR) through the established process for immigrant visas. The bill also provides certain reforms to other established legal guest worker visa programs, such as the H-1B (high-skilled jobs), H-2B (non-agriculture, seasonal laborers), and H-2A (agricultural laborers).

The third portion of the bill addresses the millions of undocumented immigrants already present in the U.S. Accountability and responsibility are new priorities under the pending legislation. Only after undergoing criminal background checks, paying approximately $5,000 in fines, and satisfying other criteria would the bill allow those already present in the U.S. to work here legally and begin the path to legal status through the Z-visa program. These men and women could not apply for LPR for at least eight years and only after they had left the U. S., applied at a U.S. Consulate abroad, and after the elimination of the current backlog of legal applicants. Again, this program could not be implemented fully until DHS has certified that it has operational control of our national borders.

In addition, the bill would increase penalties for employers using unauthorized workers, would replace the current employment based green card system with a merit-based points system, and would put in place a system to eliminate existing problems with visa backlogs.

This bill also provides several programs to help states and localities mitigate the costs associated with unauthorized immigration. In the area of law enforcement costs related to the prosecution and incarceration of unauthorized immigrants, the bill provides $250 million over five years for the newly created Border Relief Grant Program and increases by two years the authorized annual funding for the State Criminal Alien Assistance Program (SCAAP) at a level of $950 million. For costs related to public education and health care services, the bill includes a State Impact Assistance Account, which is funded through specific fees on Y-visa and Z-visa applications. It may interest you to know that I have co-sponsored an amendment with Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) that increases funding for this account by increasing the fees that applications must pay for themselves and their dependents.

In my view, any legislative approach to provide overall immigration reform must rest on the foundation that outright amnesty is unacceptable and securing our borders is essential. Then, in a sound, workable, and realistic way, we must address the millions of undocumented workers who are already in our country. All components are absolutely essential to ensuring our security as a nation. As the Senate continues this debate, you may be certain that I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Again, thank you for the benefit of your views.
    "The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry

Congress just has to pass something to feel like they've accomplished something. Why can't they stand up and demand the president to do his damned job and enforce the laws that are currently on the books?

When did his office send this message to you? Was this before or after last Thursday?

Thanks
    Check your credit report regularly, an illegal may be using your Social Security number.

I got two letters today, EXACT letters, and they are two pages. Both are dated June 6, 2007.

As often as I have written and emailed Warner, I figure he's sending out 1 per week for those who contact his office in written form because I have written OFTEN, sometimes several times in one day. I have emailed since before the initial Cloture vote in May.

This is the very first tidbit of information I have gotten out of Warner's office. Staff is tight-lipped and does not engage in conversation. I wrote the entire letter out because there is very little info shared out of his office. If he is committed to what he expressed in his letter, he will vote for the Bill if it isn't shattered with a pile of amendments, I guess.
    "The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by LynnS
    I got two letters today, EXACT letters, and they are two pages. Both are dated June 6, 2007.

As often as I have written and emailed Warner, I figure he's sending out 1 per week for those who contact his office in written form because I have written OFTEN, sometimes several times in one day. I have emailed since before the initial Cloture vote in May.

This is the very first tidbit of information I have gotten out of Warner's office. Staff is tight-lipped and does not engage in conversation. I wrote the entire letter out because there is very little info shared out of his office. If he is committed to what he expressed in his letter, he will vote for the Bill if it isn't shattered with a pile of amendments, I guess.
    I wish Virginians would bombard Sen. Warner with faxes, e-mails, calls, and CERTIFIED LETTERS.

Does anyone here live in Virginia ? Does Sen. Warner think that he is untouchable and that he has no worries if he decides to run again?

When does Sen. Warner run for office again?

Again, I hope that Virginians REV UP the pressure on Warner and tell him to vote against CLOTURE and against this terrible Kennedy immigration bill. mirse

Warner has always supported illegal immigrants over americans. He has no intention of ensuring that the border is secure. He has stated that he might not run in 2008 so he is safe by supporting 1348. We need to ensure that the man knows that he is not welcome to run and that he should sell his place in Middleburg and send the money to hospitals in Va to keep Va taxes down.

PS I have been writing him for years and always receive basically the same letter even when I ask specific questions. I have more hope in Webb a democrat in opposing the bill than I do in Warner.

Warner is a waste of time. I still send letters but don't put much effort into them because they hit the circular file. He is probably retiring in 08, is "bought", and so rigid I call him REBAR.

Here's my first letter to him, sent May 24th. Amazing how he sent such a nice blah-blah response back.

To: john_warner@warner.senate.gov
    Date: May 24, 2007

To John Warner:

As a U.S. Citizen and Virginia resident of 20 years, your approval of the S.1348 Immigration Bill is NOT what the Virginia residents requested. Despite the enormous problems that Virginia has been facing because of the large population of illegal aliens, you voted 'yes' for Cloture on the S.1348 Immigration Bill. You acted on your own behalf and your own political agenda, but not upon the requirements of your office as a U.S. Senator for We The People. You are a U.S. traitor and should be ashamed that you continue to contribute to selling out America.

I realize that you are 80 years old and you have been in politics much too long, but WHAT WERE YOU THINKING when you voted 'yes' for Cloture on the S.1348 Immigration Bill? As a Republican, your vote yesterday indicates that you support many disasterous conditions that are tied with the defective S.1348 Amnesty Bill. Why was your vote cast in opposition to your constituent base? WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?

John Warner, you should be well aware that the current laws of the United States can halt illegal immigration if they are applied correctly. Enforcement at borders, checkpoints and verification of citizenship or visas through employment, and basic local police efforts can stop illegal aliens from taking over our Country and our State of Virginia. Simply put: a barrier to enter the USA and a barrier to enter the American workforce will work.

The State of Virginia has been trying to cope with the many financial and cultural problems that have stemmed from the illegal aliens living here in Virginia. Despite these difficulties here in Virginia, you have aligned with special interest groups that serve to further illegal and irresponsible immigration. Your voting record shows that your support of the U.S. Border Patrol is a mere 33% while you have very strongly aligned with USA Engage. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?

Give it up John Warner. You've gone beyond disappointment and failure. You're selling us out. You are a U.S. Traitor. We The People have absolutely no use for you. Time to head out to pasture. Go home to your fancy fenced-in farm in Middleburg and chew cud.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckyal
    I have more hope in Webb a democrat in opposing the bill than I do in Warner.
    I do too, Becky. Webb is on a political career path and, as you know, he's a new Senator. If he doesn't listen to his constitients, and that includes those on the Republican side who might be a swing-voter, he'll have to get into another line of work because he'll be remembered on his performance on this Bill.

He's ex-military and seems very serious about certain issues that pertain to this bill. I see a modicum of hope from Webb and as for our Senators, Webb is where my best focus remains right now since this is a bipartisan issue.