Wanted: One real conservative candidate, but look what we’ve got

Tue, 03/11/2008 - 3:51pmBy: Letters to the ...

This election year is really gut-wrenching for me. I look at the candidates and the things said and done and wonder where our country is headed.

On the one side are the Democratic candidates. They spout words without the facts to back them up, messages of hope without action or truth. They assault the office of the presidency and vice presidency with accusations, lies and outright slander without concern for our country, our people or the world view.

They attack the actions in Iraq as an ongoing war, when in reality it’s a time of support for a democratic form of government gaining strength to stand on its own two feet.

They talk of the death of Americans in Iraq and ignore far greater casualties on the streets of our own nation’s capital.

Are we truly interested in addressing our own cultural problems or do we just want another American Idol?

On the other side we have the Republican candidate, John McCain. Is McCain a conservative or liberal? The actions of the past have showed him to be far from a conservative and more of a maverick or “My way or the highway.â€