Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Waukegan: many will miss school May 1, invitation?!%$&

This morning someone finally posted about the marches on our town board. As parents we didn't receive any notification encouraging our children to stay in school. We'll see how it plays out. I'll report here next week. Last year lots of kids spontaneously walked out and then walked the streets angerily with Mexican/other countries flags. My city is getting more fed up even as I post this...

chiapas
    Junior Member 67 Posts
    Posted - 04/29/2007 : 08:50:26
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On May 1, many students will be missing school to rally in Chicago for immigrant rights. It would be great if some of you who are so concerned about the quality of education in Waukegan stood up for the sometimes invisible members of the community, the undocumented immigrants in our midst. Our school district has well over 1,000 undocumented immigrants. They're entitled to a good education too. Even if you're against them, we're all in the same boat because if they flounder and their achievement plummets, it affects "adequate yearly progress" and we get sanctioned by the federal government.

http://www.waukegan.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7120

kellyann1293
    Advanced Member 2130 Posts
    Posted - 04/29/2007 : 09:42:06
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to Guerra (from the April 10 board meeting), truancy costs the district half a million dollars a year. The district loses money every time a child misses school.

Wonder how much we will lose on May 1?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Wish I could get Ted Hayes to come speak to this guy...chiapas

chiapas
    Junior Member 68 Posts
    Posted - 04/29/2007 : 12:43:50

Hopefully, the Waukegan School District will do something wise, like use this as a forum for discussion. To punish students for legitimately fighting for rights denied to them would be wrong. This is the new civil rights movement.

fedupinwaukegan
    Advanced Member 814 Posts
    Posted - 04/29/2007 : 14:14:16

The new civil rights movement? People coming from another country are people coming from another country. Not a race. Black leaders have taken issue with this being compared to their struggle.

April 28, 2006 - LA Times LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Re "Immigration Forum Gets Intense," April 24

Activist Ted Hayes is right ˜ illegal immigration has lowered wages and pushed African Americans out of the building trades and service jobs that were our opportunity to have the American dream. Illegal immigration has also strained education and healthcare services in distressed communities, disproportionally affecting African Americans.

The illegal immigration agenda is not a civil rights movement. The civil rights movement called for dignity and opportunity for all Americans. African American soldiers died for this country when they were not able to get the benefit at home of full citizenship. African Americans are first and foremost Americans ˜ we are not going back to any other country; our home is here. African Americans have given their hearts and souls to this country ˜ that is what makes you a citizen.

THEODORE J. SMITH III
    Chair, African American Caucus
    California Democratic Party
    Los Angeles
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Fedup'
    That sounded more like a thread than an invitation.
    ------------------------

Waukegan: many will miss school May 1, invitation ?!%$&

Where are the parents of these students? If I lived in Waukegan, not only would my kids NOT participate, but I would have every parent objecting, walking on the other side of the street from these lawbreakers.

Wonder why we have so many problems with kids today? Parents NOT parenting.

Quote Originally Posted by mkfarnam
    Fedup'
    That sounded more like a thread than an invitation.
    Perhaps you are correct.