Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

What's a Web Beacon

I got this from another group - not politicial

Yahoo is now using web beacons to track Yahoo Group users. Not sure what web
    beacons are? Here's a URL that will give you some good information:

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/W/Web_beacon.html

Anyone???
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This has been a common practice for as long as there has been internet.

it used to be that they SOLD that information to would-be spammers. Now they only turn it over to the US government.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I thought that was the signal for Spiderman?

Thanks, I didn't know. Not that I'm paranoid or anything.

nntrixie, I don't know how long you have been on line but much has changed since the beginning. I first got on line in 1996. Then, if you sent your sister a letter that said you were going to buy a new bed, within an hour you would have fifty junk e-mails in your mailbox extolling the virtues of some company in bed or bed related businesses.

Most of those things that got circulated around the internet with all those jokes and interesting tidbits were just a way for spammers to collect e-mail addresses.

As time went by, new and improved methods of controlling spam were devised.

There are still lots of ways to mess with people on line -- ways we never suspect. You need to be aware that things aren't as they seem by a jug full. Every hole that gets filled opens another one somewhere else to hackers and thieves.

It mystifies me that so many people spend so much time messing with other people's lives but they do.

Thanks, Junius.

I have been on line for about 7 years - but I am really a babe (very old babe) in the woods as far as those things go.

I do know enough to be kinda careful where I go. Also, I do a little business on Ebay and am familiar with the fake emails from them. Actually had my account hijacked. I don't know how they got the info as I never answer those fake emails.

It kinda concerned me as I have never heard of that. I think the alert gave a site to opt out - so I will do that.

Senior Member NoIllegalsAllowed's Avatar
    if you clear your cookies, cache, etc. and you don't have a static ip (if you have dialup you get a new ip each time you log on) you can't be tracked this way.

nntrixie, if you didn't answer a fake e-mail or click a link from it you probably have some kind of spyware/virus on your computer that has a key logger that is monitoring your activity online and is sending your passwords, credit card numbers, and other private data to a hacker. pm me if you want some help removing this stuff from your computer.
    Free Ramos and Compean NOW!

I have been on line for about 7 years - but I am really a babe (very old babe) in the woods as far as those things go.
    I think we all are babes in the woods compared to the people who seem to make a career out of being royal pains to other people when it comes to on-line activity.