Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Where can someone find statistics?

Hey Folks,
    I am getting ready to make a “big stick” at the country commissioners meeting and confront major decision makers for my county Alamance CO. NC. I went into the Social Services office here in Burlington to get stats on how many illegal immigrants are getting federal and state aid like food stamps, WIC checks, government housing, etc…with my taxes. The director was unavailable and ever person I talked to had a very guilty expression on their faces. Ironically all the signs are in Spanish even out numbering the signs in English and I saw a majority of latino descent individuals waiting for assistance.

I went to FAIRUS, though a very excellent site for stats and information, it does not break down to counties. I would like to have my “ammunition” of information ready when I confront the county commissioners at their next meeting. My hope is to continue to complain about the ever growing influx of illegal immigrants in not only my county but my state.

I don’t want them here anymore and I want them out!!!

JJ
    Hate to say this but they most likley do not know. You aren't allowed to ask if they are illegal. P.M. Dixie she may be able to help you.

JJ

Re: Where can someone find statistics?

Quote Originally Posted by take-action-now
    Hey Folks,
    I am getting ready to make a “big stick” at the country commissioners meeting and confront major decision makers for my county Alamance CO. NC. I went into the Social Services office here in Burlington to get stats on how many illegal immigrants are getting federal and state aid like food stamps, WIC checks, government housing, etc…with my taxes. The director was unavailable and ever person I talked to had a very guilty expression on their faces. Ironically all the signs are in Spanish even out numbering the signs in English and I saw a majority of latino descent individuals waiting for assistance.

I went to FAIRUS, though a very excellent site for stats and information, it does not break down to counties. I would like to have my “ammunition” of information ready when I confront the county commissioners at their next meeting. My hope is to continue to complain about the ever growing influx of illegal immigrants in not only my county but my state.

I don’t want them here anymore and I want them out!!!
    I can't speak for NC, let alone yr county, but I suspect they don't collect this type of information. They don't ask, in order to "not tell".

You might inquire about the the agency's policies and procedures. Upon what criteria do they make a decision to give aid ? Do they ask for ID ? What type of ID is accepted ? Do they ask if people are US citizens ? Do they give aid to non citizens, if they have children born here ? Do they give aid to everyone ? ( Of course they don't) They must have some type of criteria for making their decisions regarding assistance.

I would imagine the policies & procedures are written in a manner that permits them to give assistance to illegals. If this is against the law, the loop hole must be closed. The agency will need to revise their procedure to accomplish this.

I doubt you find assistance from the agency.

JJ,

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Your right, the don't ask don't tell policies have made it difficult to determine the numbers. Illegal aliens really are not in the shadows, they are just not counted. When someone inquires about how many are receiving a service, no one can tell because no one has asked or kept track.

That is one thing that I am pushing for locally. I'm going to yank them out of the shadows so everyone can see the magnitude of the problem. All of the pretending like it doesn't exist and ignoring has got to come to a stop.

takeactionnow,

Wish I could be of more help. You are going to have to depend on studies of others or find a local agency that has been voluntarily keeping track.
    I would use FAIRUS, US Census and Pew Hispanic Center.

Right now, it's just a guessing game because of the lack of asking about status and tracking the status.

Good luck with your mission!

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Don't know how useful this might be, but maybe it'll spark some ideas on how to estimate roughly the desired number.

I have a close relative that used to teach in an elementary school. As part of this person's work, they had to work with 'special needs' kids, T&G, and 'English as a secondary language' kids. Depending on the demographics in the local area, you generally can derive a reasonable estimate of what the proportion of the ESL kids are legit or not.

If I remember correctly (and I could double-check this), the Federal government does require elementary schools to compile rough stats. on the subject (admittedly, only rough estimates). I believe it is associated with Title I, and the label / classification they use is 'migrant students' or 'migrant families'. You might try asking a local teacher, special-ed teacher or even better, an elementary school principal about all this and see what you get...

HTH
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Take-action-now, I would speak directly with your county sheriff. Even if they do not specifically verify legal status, law enforcement has a pretty good idea of the proportion of people coming through their system who are probably illegal. For example, if they pull people over or arrest them for traffic violations and such and they do not have driver's licenses, insurance, etc. I have talked with my sheriff and believe me, they know what's going on and are usually very clear about how big a problem this is.

Also, the school system should be able to tell you something about the need for spanish translators, bilingual teachers, etc, and the proportion of children requiring such services, though of course, they will not be able to tell you about children's legal status.

take-action-now, got this off the Census Bureau web site for Alamance county. I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but will keep searching. I heard this same question asked not long ago on the radio. Will send a e-mail to the radio station also. Good Luck!

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/37/37001.html

I do not know what kind of stats you are seeking but here in Oregon it is very difficult at best. There are some stats on the DHS website (Department of homeland security.) Might help I don't know.
    The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks for all the info....

Thanks folks for all the info...I will contact those agencies you recommended...

In the meantime...I am working on a forum meeting very soon....Every time I try to get a forum going something always comes up....But I feel I can't wait any longer....I would like to have some facts and information for those that do attend...my experience thus far with other groups like Durham County Conservatives, and different rallies I have been too people may be concerned but they don't take action to even showing up at one of these events. So, I suspect that less than a couple dozen will attend but with that couple dozen, maybe more will attend other forums in the future.

Nevertheless, I should have it first of April here in my county (this will be the first one I host) and then I will see if I can schedule other forums in other cities and counties.

In the meantime, I will also let people know about demonstrations against employers that hire illegals....I hope that people will come out and let the general public know that some companies hire illegals....hopefully that may hurt their business by bring attention to their illegal hiring practices that they will stop hiring illegals....but you never know...

Thanks for the help folks talk to you all soon