Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Why All the Effort for Workplace Enforcement Now???

"The White House seems rather motivated to burnish its credentials as tough on illegal alien employment, one of the key concerns of the conservative base. Over the last year, while immigration reform got debated and eventually derailed in Congress, the ICE has conducted three major raids that netted almost 3,000 illegals and resulted in employer sanctions. They practically cleared out Swift's meatpacking plants after the feds determined that thirty percent of their workforce used fraudulent identification to gain employment. At IFCO Systems NA, seven executives face criminal prosecution for their conspiracy to use illegals to save a few bucks.

Why all of the effort now? The Bush administration wants comprehensive immigration reform, not the exclusive border-security approach favored by conservatives. In order to demonstrate that a comprehensive approach will work, the White House wants to demonstrate that it can wield effective disincentives on the employment side that will curtail illegal immigration. Bush wants to work with the Democratic Congress to get a solution in place this year, before the 2008 election cycle for Congress heats up too much to allow moderation to win the day on either side.

Unfortunately for Bush, Congress isn't playing to the moderates on this issue. Ted Kennedy, who partnered with presidential aspirant John McCain last year for a compromise package on immigration reform, has fashioned a different approach this year -- one that more aggressively opens opportunities for citizenship to those already here illegally. The Democrats have refused to work cooperatively with the Republicans on this bill, with one exception: John McCain. That hasn't filled conservatives with much confidence that any of their concerns will be addressed in the final bill.

John McCain had better take care at this juncture of his career. He wants to paint himself as the real conservative in the GOP race for the Presidential nomination. He already has big credibility problems with the base. If he winds up endorsing an amnesty bill with Ted Kennedy's name on it, he can absolutely bid his Presidential aspirations farewell. All of the frog-marches currently being conducted by the Bush administration won't mean spit if illegals get a free ride to citizenship in this Congress with his midwifery of an amnesty bill. ''

Posted by Ed Morrissey

http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/

In other words, it's open season on backstabbing! Especially against the American people!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

IMO, it is merely window dressing and lip service. And, don't even get me started on Flip Flop McCain.

RDR
    RDR

I got a life lesson from employers knowingly hiring illegal aliens with my refusal to be an accomplice to their crimes. But I'm just a "blip" a.k.a. nobody. So having said that, isn't the best way to fix a problem to begin at the beginning? It's like their putting a band aid on cancer.

In order to demonstrate that a comprehensive approach will work, the White House wants to demonstrate that it can wield effective disincentives on the employment side that will curtail illegal immigration.
    There's that word again COMPREHENSIVE???!!!! And curtail? So, if we reduce it...How about stop, period. They don't come here to only provide cheap labor. Free medical, food stamps, housing, credit cards (maybe-hopefully not) and stuff I am sure I don't even know about. Fix it where it starts - at the border - and then clean up the mess or do it all at once.