Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Why I'm inspired by the midterm election

2010 Elections
    Thursday, Nov 4, 2010 20:20 ET
    Why I'm inspired by the midterm election
    Christine O'Donnell is gone, and Harry Reid isn't. Now, let's buckle up for the bumpy ride that faces us in 2012
    By Anne Lamont
    All hail the victories of the 2010 midterms!

Christine O'Donnell waves after voting on Nov. 2 in Wilmington, Del.

I am awash in the afterglow of the midterms.

Perhaps "afterglow" is not exactly right. Or "awash."

Maybe I mean "profound relief." Barbara Boxer and Jerry Brown, and Michael Bennet (amazingly) in Colorado, Patty Murray hanging on, and most of all, Harry Reid, HAR-RY, HAR-RY, HAR-RY. My man. Dawg! For me, holding the Senate and Harry Reid is almost up there with the Giants winning.

So maybe they have the Aqua Buddha, but we have two months to go with this House, this Senate, this president. People say that 10 days or two weeks is an eternity in politics, so two months is four or five eternities. Two months is eternity-plus-plus.

And that Obama is nothing if not brilliant. This guy has had some liberal victories legislatively, and when word of these victories -- the realities of healthcare, financial reform, student loan reform, etc. -- trickles out, we will have pride and stamina again. We will experience grace again, the grace of generosity to the underdog; the grace of second winds, and psychic WD-40. The grace of unseen water wings.

I say, buckle up, buckeroos and buckerinas. Fingers crossed and heads high. Once more into the breach. Also, figure out how you, in your area, can help mobilize the Latino vote. We owe Harry Reid to Hispanic outrage and get-out-the-vote efforts -- send someone money today. (I love Mi Familia Vota, but there are organizations in every state.) Or go somewhere nearby and register Latino voters, and the youth, who accidentally forgot to show up on Tuesday -- the "yout," to quote the great Joe Pesci in "My Cousin Vinnie." Help whip up the Youts for 2012. Lots to do! Kids to mentor, wars to protest, homeless people to help through the coming winter night. Time to rest and get ready.

So goodnight, moon. Goodnight, long national nightmare of the last two months, when it looked like we might lose John Dingell, and Barney Frank, and HAR-RY. Good night, Carl Paladino, with your cute red bat! Goodnight, Christine O'Donnell, with your election night list of demands -- fabulous! I don't know a living writer who could have thought that up, or the "I Am not a Witch" campaign. Maybe the late, great Terry Southern? But anyway, excellent -- and goodnight. Goodnight, Dino Rossi, but can we keep the name? And goodnight, icky Meg Whitman, thank you from the bottom of my heart for not being my new governor. Money and power and ego can't buy ya love, huh? Does that suck, or WHAT? And we all know what it's like to spend money unwisely -- who among us does not have some crazy purchase in our closet or drawer and garage right now? The stories I could tell -- the blisters, the eyeglass frames that look so adorable on Justin Timberlake. Oh well, good night, Meg; and thank you for your courage, Meg Whitman's housekeeper. And good night, Joe Sestak -- but DON'T go very far away. You're the real thing. Good night, Joe Miller, even with all those rascally votes still to count. But goodnight, and thank you for sharing.
    Let's all go have some well-earned rest. A new day dawns.

http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2010/ ... index.html

she must still be in denial.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Oh No...sounds like Anne forgot to take her meds again .

She is playing "Queen of Denial " and will be really surprised come January 2011 .
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

That is funny! Well, let them enjoy their "victory". We will do the work to save our country and now we have the House of Representatives and a lot more Senators willing to help us do that.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The stories I could tell -- the blisters, the eyeglass frames that look so adorable on Justin Timberlake.
    Can someone please explain to me what the hell Justin Timberlakes glasses have to do with the midterms? This is so typical of these types of loopy, shallow, liberals so mezmorized by celebrities.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)