Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

WLW removing controversial ads

WLW removing controversial ads
    BY JOHN KIESEWETTER | JKIESEWETTER@ENQUIRER.COM

WLW’s “The Big Juan” billboards with a man wearing a sombrero are being removed by the station after a protest by the Hispanic Chamber Cincinnati USA.

Alfonso Cornejo, the chamber board president who hand-delivered a letter to the station last week, also is demanding a written apology and an explanation for the “hateful campaign” by the area’s top-rated station.

“Perhaps someone at your station believe there was humor in this hateful campaign. But rest assured this is not funny in the least,” said the chamber’s letter. Copies were also sent to Clear Channel executives at corporate headquarters in San Antonio, Texas.

Cornejo said he was told by Chuck Frederick, Clear Channel market manager, that all 82 billboards would be removed by Tuesday. Some of the billboards along interstates and major highways were removed over the weekend, said Cornejo, 59, of Montgomery, a Mexican who has lived here 18 years.

“The Big Juan” billboards, a twist on WLW-AM’s longtime “The Big One” branding, were put up in late April as the second part of a spring outdoor campaign. In early April, WLW-AM put up billboards with a Mexican flag and a Spanish phrase that translated to “Radio For Great Americans,” Cornejo said.

“That one was very offensive, but I didn’t want to do anything. The second one was clearly offensive. Maybe I should have reacted sooner,” he said.

Frederick and Darryl Parks, WLW-AM operations manager, could not immediately be reached for comment.

Look for updates on this story at Cincinnati.Com.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... T/70507004

America says
    O darn

wow the Mexicans are soooooo sensitive it must be there kind, giving
    nature we must be PC, its OK to put up billboards in LA with the Mexican flag and Los Angles Mexico in the message.We Americans can take it
    your a bunch of sissy's
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by jimpasz
    wow the Mexicans are soooooo sensitive it must be there kind, giving
    nature we must be PC, its OK to put up billboards in LA with the Mexican flag and Los Angles Mexico in the message.We Americans can take it
    your a bunch of sissy's
    It looks like they got their panties all in ah ...

This shows they can dish it out but they can't take it.
    <div>GOD - FAMILY - COUNTRY</div>

Gee isn't it funny that they can scream and have billboards removed but us non Hispanics must put up with them insulting our culture. In Miami one of the Hispanic radio stations has ads on a bus of people who do the morning show. On the ad there is a man wearing a police hat and the woman is wearing a police uniform with buttons undone and her breasts are almost hanging out of the shirt. I find that extremely offensive and many others find it disguisting as well. Yet when I complained I was told that it was "Hispanic culture" . I reminded them that this is the United States. I also told them in the United States that is considered degrading to women. I would have less of a problem if the wasn't in any type of uniform.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Ya...it's all OK if it's T&A shots with women who try to turn their hair blonde but turned orange instead... t&a, orange hair and spanex pants....wow fashion crisis.
    <div>GOD - FAMILY - COUNTRY</div>

Quote Originally Posted by swatchick
    Gee isn't it funny that they can scream and have billboards removed but us non Hispanics must put up with them insulting our culture. In Miami one of the Hispanic radio stations has ads on a bus of people who do the morning show. On the ad there is a man wearing a police hat and the woman is wearing a police uniform with buttons undone and her breasts are almost hanging out of the shirt. I find that extremely offensive and many others find it disguisting as well. Yet when I complained I was told that it was "Hispanic culture" . I reminded them that this is the United States. I also told them in the United States that is considered degrading to women. I would have less of a problem if the wasn't in any type of uniform.
    Dont let give you any crud like that, swatchic! I'm sure the Miami police department would not like being represented like that. Continue to complain and to hell with the answer 'its hispanic culture'. You go girl!!

Banned
    WLW Pulls "The Big Juan" Billboard Campaign
    Posted By: Jenell Walton

Leaders in the Hispanic community say WLW radio went too far with its "Big Juan" billboard campaign.
    They claim the ad showing a donkey and a man wearing a mexican sombrero and dark mustache poked fun at their heritage.

Some people may have thought the billboards were clever and funny, but some members of the Hispanic community aren't laughing.

WLW made the decision to take the billboards down. Most of them were covered with a new ad or a blank white canvas overnight Monday.

700 WLW unveiled its new ad campaign last month, first with a photo of a Mexican flag.

Jason Riveiro, the president of the Cincinnati chapter of the League of United Latin American Citizens or LULAC tells 9News, "I think many of us felt that well perhaps maybe there was a new Spanish radio station coming on board."

The talk radio station's next ad showed a man dressed in a traditional Mexican costume, but instead of the radio's slogan "The Big One," it read "The Big Juan."

"We came to find out that it was coming from a radio station that has no intention of marketing to the Hispanic population and at the same time is very vocal against immigrants into this area," says Riveiro.

LULAC pressured W-L-W to take the offensive billboards down.

Lamar Advertising says one billboard could cost between $5000 and $7000 a month. There were at least 10 billboards posted around the tri-state.

The Hamilton-Mason Area NAACP Branch and nearly 20 other organizations supported LULAC.

The chapter's president, Gary Hines says, "For me it went back to Aunt Jemima and those ethnic notions. We need to understand in a society that is about inclusion that those things are not tolerable anymore. We just can't have those things in the media anymore and people need to be more sensitive."

LULAC says the WLW's general manager has agreed to continue to meet with the group to discuss what is and isn't appropriate when referring to the hispanic community.

"We don't just want to slap you on the hand and say you're sorry. We also want something long term to make an impact on the community," says Riveiro.

Members of LULAC say they appreciate the fact that WLW listened to their concerns and took the billboards down.

WLW management did not return our phone calls today.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story.as ... 9c1c0f44ca

vidow link after you go to the staions site or go here

http://www.wcpo.com/mediacenter/local.a ... o.wcpo.com

Greg says
    If i know wlw and I hope im right' they will come up with something a whole lot beter
    To the people that are protesting the bill boards,
    there a sheirff in hamilton that likes them, why dont you try telling him to take his down see where it gets you.
    WLW has been in cincinatti long before any groups like the naacp or the la la la lateno cry alots,or the wa wa LULAC which by the way, serves a extreamy small part of nothing about real goals for the people in hamilton county,cincinatti or Northern KY

Several Cincinnati organizations signed a request to WLW 700 Radio Station for an immidiate removal of the "Big Juan" ads finding it insensitive and offending to the Latino/Hispanic community. Initiated by LULAC Cincinnati and United Food and Commercial Workers Union (UFCW), the petition has been signed so far by:

Archdiocese of Greater Cincinnati
    Brigid Kelly, City of Norwood Council, Ward 2
    CAIR of Cincinnati (Council on Arab and Islamic Relations)
    Cincinnati Interfaith Workers Center
    Coalition for Black Trade Unionist
    Hispanic Chamber of Greater Cincinnati
    Inter-Ethnic Council of Greater Cincinnati
    International Center of Greater Cincinnati
    LULAC Cincinnati (League of United Latin American Citizens)
    Midwestlatino, LLC.
    NAACP of Hamilton/Fairfield/West Chester Branch
    Service Employee’s International Union (SEIU)
    UNITE HERE
    United Food and Commercial Workers Union (UFCW), Local 1099

I guess my real thought about the whole thing is

LMAO

And i don’t even say things like that
    take down the adds it doesnt change how people feel

If you guys like talk radio, why don’t you tune in about 9 am the next few weeks you see some hard core point a views, true facts and citizens opinion about the illegals immigration in this country today.
    Tune in its

am 700 wlw on the am dial or go to

http://www.700wlw.com/pages/streaming.html

for live stream of all the stations stuff it pretty good

They should have told them to get over it, what nobody in Mexico wears sombrero's and has donkeys anymore Man can't anyone take a jole anymore.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Anyone remember the stamps that the Mexicans put out that were overexagerated stereotyped pictures of cartoon Negros and Mexico defended their actions?

We also had a campaign for local government transportation here a few years ago that drew some ire. They had a picture of a sleeping saguaro cactus with a sombrero on and people screamed. How insensitive...
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mapwife
    Anyone remember the stamps that the Mexicans put out that were overexagerated stereotyped pictures of cartoon Negros and Mexico defended their actions?

We also had a campaign for local government transportation here a few years ago that drew some ire. They had a picture of a sleeping saguaro cactus with a sombrero on and people screamed. How insensitive...

The thing that gets me is where is the aclu and such when the illegals from LATIN WHERE EVER EVER LAND pulls crimes only against Americans.
    talk about insensitive.
    we have to walk on egg shells, but o no don’t deport the pot head, job stealer, he might get his feelings hurt.

They will takedown the Bill Boards but you can bet they don’t take down the attitudes towards this crap !
    Some times I wish Bush would just call me back….