Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

worth defending at all hazards

"The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending at all hazards; and it is our duty to defend them against all attacks. We have received them as a fair inheritance from our worthy ancestors; they purchased them for us with toil and danger and expense of treasure and blood. It will bring an everlasting mark of infamy on the present generation, enlightened as it is, if we should suffer them to be wrested from us by violence without a struggle, or be cheated out of them by the artifices of false and designing men." --

Samuel Adams, article published in 1771

I don't think anybody here has plans of being 'cheated' out of our rights by Congress or the President without a fight
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

You got that right! Some of my ancestors served during the Revolutionary War. I wonder if any of Bushs served.

Quote Originally Posted by mills
    You got that right! Some of my ancestors served during the Revolutionary War. I wonder if any of Bushs served.
    mine too! they fought the king for states rights then they fought King Lincoln for states rights, and now I'm fighting King Jorge and his court for states rights . . . I hope they would all be proud of us
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

I think they would be. I know I definately have some of that fighting spirit. I have ancestors that fought in the WBTS too and earned the nickname of TarHeel. I like to think in my own way I will earn it too. I am fighting against what they did, invasion.

I've never heard of the term "tarHeel" . . . but I haven't heard of a lot of things!

all of this family history is new to me. But I sure was glad to learn where I got my stubborness from! ever since I was a kid, my mama said I was 'worse than a dog with a bone' . . . the word 'quit' has never been in my vocabulary. I've been called stubborn, hardheaded, tenacious, Miss T. , the contrarian,

It was during one of the fiercest battles of the War Between the States, so the story goes, that the column supporting the North Carolina troops was driven from the field. After the battle the North Carolinians, who had successfully fought it out alone, were greeted from the passing derelict regiment with the question: "Any more tar down in the Old North State, boys?" Quick as a flash came the answer: "No, not a bit, old Jeff's bought it all up." "Is that so; what is he going to do with it?" was asked. "He's going to put on you-un's heels to make you stick better in the next fight." Creecy relates that General Lee, upon hearing of the incident, said: "God bless the Tar Heel boys," and from that they took the name (Adapted from Grandfather Tales of North Carolina by R.B. Creecy and Histories of North Carolina Regiments, Vol. III, by Walter Clark).

I knew the Carolina's had to be in their somewhere! that's where all them crazy folks are from ... apparently it doesn't matter what the odds are against them, they stand their ground

I think only some of us fall in the crazy category but we definately stand our ground!

Quote Originally Posted by mills
    I think only some of us fall in the crazy category but we definately stand our ground!
    all of this family history is new to me. But I sure was glad to learn where I got my stubborness from!
    I knew the Carolina's had to be in their somewhere! that's where all them crazy folks are from
    where do you think I got mine? -- at least now if somebody tells me I'm crazy, I know where it comes from!