Posted: Feb 21, 2017 8:29 PM PST
Updated: Feb 22, 2017 12:16 PM PST
By Ashlee DeMartino

Mary Ann Mendoza is praising a new DHS office that will help victims of illegal immigrants and their families. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

Mary Ann's son Sgt. Brandon Mendoza was killed by an illegal immigrant. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) -
Mary Ann Mendoza’s life was forever changed the day her son Brandon, a police officer for the City of Mesa, was killed by a wrong-way drunk driver who was in the country illegally for two decades and had a lengthy criminal record.

"I was spared having to keep track of the illegal criminal who killed my son because he was also killed but I’ve met so many families who have this drug out and when they call and try to find anything out about the illegal they are lost in the system,” said Mendoza.

Since her son's death, Mendoza has been an advocate for victims' families and the new Department of Homeland Security order creating an office to help is encouraging.

"This is a huge hurdle we have overcome. It is something this country has needed for so long,” said Mendoza.

Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly plans to take resources away from illegal immigrants.

“I am not sorry for them. American victims have been going without resources for years," said Mendoza.

The new office will use the resources for the victims of immigration crime engagement office or voice.

"People are unaware. It’s not only people who are killed in this country, it's people who have identity theft, who are raped, hit and runs, all crimes," said Mendoza.

Mendoza says it is the first step to fulfill the promise she made to her son when he died, which was to never stop fighting for him.

"But also fighting for future victims of illegal crime to try and prevent this from happening before they realize the devastation I’ve experienced," said Mendoza.

http://www.azfamily.com/story/345644...gal-immigrants