Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Unanswered Questions Remain About GOP Senate Candidate, Ben Sasse [Op/Ed]

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Unanswered Questions Remain About GOP Senate Candidate, Ben Sasse [Op/Ed]

Unanswered Questions Remain About GOP Senate Candidate, Ben Sasse [Op/Ed]

Nebraska GOP Senate candidate, Ben Sasse on liberal side of immigration ordinance; no one bats an eye

Media sweetheart and Republican Senate candidate Ben Sasse owes the conservative voters of Nebraska an explanation. His position as president of Midland University, combined with an impressive resume and charismatic personality, has created the perfect facade to cover up glaring shortcomings, including back room deals revolving around immigration ordinances and personnel decisions made at Midland University.

Nebraska is dominated by conservative, right-wing ideals to the extent that only one Democratic presidential candidate has won the state’s electoral votes since 1940. The state’s voters tend to lean right on many of the most polarizing contemporary political issues.

In 2010, the people of Fremont City – a town of 26,000 residents in East Nebraska – voted in favor of Ordinance 5165, a piece of legislature often referred to as the immigration ordinance. The ordinance required all renters in the city to ostensibly prove their legal citizenship to continue their lease, and imposed strict penalties on landlords who knowingly rent to undocumented immigrants.

The vote was highly contentious, keeping Fremont’s City Council gridlocked until the ordinance passed with 58 percent of the town’s voters in favor of the measure. This nationally-covered decision drew criticism from across the country. The ordinance was aimed heavily at controlling immigration; a polarizing issue on local and national fronts.

Enter Midland University president and Nebraska GOP Senate candidate Ben Sasse.

The collaborative efforts of Sasse, the City Council, and other publicly elected city officials pursued a repeal effort of the publicly approved ordinance. This group challenged the ordinance in federal court, claiming it infringed upon constitutional rights. The challenge was overturned in 2013 by the United States Court of Appeals, who deemed it did not infringe on current federal immigration policies.

According to Sasse’s official website, the young Senatorial candidate is in favor of securing the border and forbidding undocumented immigrants from entering the country. This is a stance that most hardcore Republicans share, and it resonates with many conservative voters. If Sasse outwardly believes what’s stated on his website, then why did he allow, and allegedly endorse, the repeal of Ordinance 5165?

After rumors began stirring around City Council and Midland University’s involvement in trying to overturn the public’s decision, political blogger Chris Scott submitted a public records request. The results were shocking.

“I was taken aback. I’ve never seen this much outward coordination against the voters’ will,” Scott said.

The public records shed light on Fremont City Council president Jennifer Bixby, the Chamber of Commerce, and Midland University’s involvement in conspiring to overturn the citizens’ vote. The emails expose several individuals, specifically Mayor Scott Getzchman, City Council President Bixby, and Midland’s Vice President of Academic Affairs, Steven Bullocks of devising a scheme to foil the public will. What has been lost in the entire process is Midland University president Sasse’s involvement and his questionable political sensibilities.

Further complicating the situation is Sasse’s step-father, Larry Sheppard. This major shareholder of Don Peterson & Associates Real Estate and Dodge County Titles, was uncovered for renting to undocumented immigrants. The ordinance would immediately require Don Peterson & Assoc. to forbid all undocumented immigrants living in his residencies to renew their leases. This prospect would prove detrimental to Sheppard’s business and wallet.

According to the emails and leaked records requested by Scott, influxes of campaign funds were donated to Sasse from major players in an effort to repeal the ordinance. Many of them turned around and directly contributed to Sasse’s campaign fund before he officially announced his intention to run for the incumbent senate seat.

This Ordinance 5165 flip-flopping comes on the heels of Sasse’s hiring of Jason Dannelly as Midland’s athletic director. This position is essential to the health and success of the university’s athletic programs, as well as their recruitment and long-term financial success. A mere 15 months after signing Dannelly as AD, he abruptly resigned following accusations of making terroristic threats, a Class IV felony.

Yet, even after these two major blemishes on Sasse’s underwhelming political career, no one is asking the young candidate the tough questions.

What did Sasse know about Dannelly, and how long did he know it before informing the public? Why are Sasse’s Republican ideals so easily swayed? If Sasse can’t stand up to his friends in Fremont to maintain his political and ideological beliefs, how can he be expected to stand up to Barak Obama and the rest of the Democrats on Capitol Hill?

Stay tuned, Nebraska. Your GOP golden child may be just gilded, not solid.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1240512/una...en-sasse-oped/

One thing does bother me about the article. The author is calling Fremont Fremont City which tells me that the writer is not a Nebraskan so I'm not sure if this is an outside the state hit piece. I did do a little research on the Fremont Tribune and there are some comments under articles by anonymous posters about how Sasse had worked against the Fremont illegal immigration ordinance and that his father was a landlord who rented to illegals. I also know that Midland College is affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church which has pretty liberal views on illegal immigration.

Be it all truth, or partial truth, there is too much to ignore. Enough that if I were still a voter in NE, I would not vote for him based upon this. I wonder if the Lincoln Journal-Star or Omaha World Herald has more. Does not sound as if this Sasse passes the smell test, does it?

I was thinking of voting for him. Now I'm going to have to decide if I am voting for a good crook, or a bad one??

Good crook or a bad one, why is it that I feel it is a choice I must confront every time I go vote? If the feeling is very strong that that is my choice, I vote for neither. Then I decide to vote for myself! At least I know what principles I stand for!

Related:

http://www.alipac.us/f9/going-down-f...braska-302621/

Sasse needs to be defeated!!! He isn't getting my vote!

We need greater numbers of people with core convictions, people who will not compromise, sellout, be bribed, etc. Out of many politicians, we see a small overall number of candidates or politicians willing to stand against these pressures and the need to be part of the political clicks.

Temptations are obviously great to bow to the voices of those who whisper in their ears, but it would be nice to see greater strength of convictions and character in those who run after they get elected. So disappointing.
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)