Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Are you saying Hunter is dishonest and that he isn't a champion of the U.S.? Perhaps a little more research is in order

No I am not. In-fact I posted several times that Hunter has earned his stripes in his wishes to pursue the war in Iraq along with the war in the US. He does have a son serving a second or third term so I do take his comments about the war seriously. What I can't stand is someone that is a warhawk but refuses to allow any of his sons or daughters to serve in the military, much like George Bush and Mitt Romney. Of course Guliani's children won't speak to him, so don't know their status.

I mentioned upper tier candidates and even though the news media does not put Paul in upper tier as they wish, soooooooooooooooo wish Paul would disappear... he has brought in more money this quarter than any other republican candidate at a rate of $50. per donation. The news media for example, MSNBC is owned by General Electric that has many war related contracts and the last thing they wish to see is a candidate bring your son home from the war for oil and lose a couple of million dollars.

Folks, the war is taking place on our shores. There has been an invasion taking place for several years now. The former and present President of Mexico have said clearly now that we cannot stop it. They are us now and we can never reverse it. We are going to have a new currency, we are going to be a North American Union, and the arrogance of saying it is too late to stop it ????

While we were digging for the oil fields in Iraq, we lost the USA. The war is here !!!!! The invasion is here !!!!!!

MW
    florgal wrote:

Before getting my vote I would have to hear Romney say "If you're an illegal alien, PACK YOUR BAGS- you're leaving the U.S."
    In a interview with Tim Russert, Romney clearly advocates registering the illegals and placing them on a path to citizenship. He's not going to send them home. I can't believe Tancredo is naive enough to buy the rhetoric Romney obviously fed him during their one hour conversation on the issue. I don't want to bad mouth Tancredo, however, I can't help but feel that he's possibly being bought out in some way (something is definitely up). I hope it's not true, especially after he voted on the Peru Free Trade Agreement. Three disappointments in two weeks is just too much!

Here's the interview:

America First 2008 Updates

Here is the immigration portion of Tim Russert's interview with Mitt Romney.

What Romney says is very revealing. First, he seems to totally not understand that hiring illegals is against the law and punishable by both fines and imprisonment.

Second, his program does not include removing illegals. He fudges this constantly by saying they are not to get special privledges but they are to get in line like everyone else. And they they are rewarded with a path to citizenship.

In short, in a Romney administration, no illegal aliens will be removed from this country, nor will the critical task of ending employment of illegals be accomplished.

Romney is one of the corporate elites who sees illegal aliens as a "problem" to be managed. Not as a critical step necessary to preserve the company. As most corporate CEO's, he has neither vision, or depth, but rather repeats back the pages of the Wall Street Journal.

His presidency would be catastrophic for the United States.

MR. RUSSERT: The Lowell Sun, your home--one of your hometown, state home papers, said this. "Governor Mitt Romney expressed support for an immigration program that places large numbers of illegal residents on the path toward citizenship.

"`I don't believe in rounding up 11 million people and forcing them at gunpoint from our country. With these 11 million people, let's have them registered, know who they are (isn't that exactly what McCain has said). Those who've been arrested or convicted of crimes shouldn't be here; those that are paying taxes and not taking government benefits should begin a process towards application for citizenship, as they would from their home country." (note that he said "as they would from their home country, not from their home country)

This is George Bush and John McCain.

GOV. ROMNEY: Now let's, now let's look at those very carefully, OK, and you're, you're a careful reader. In the interview with The Boston Globe, I described all three programs that were out there, described what they were, acknowledged that they were not technically an amnesty program (Romney's idea of what is and isn't amnesty doesn't align with our thoughts), but I indicated in that same interview that I had not formulated my own proposal and that I was endorsing none of those three programs. I did not support any of them. I called them reasonable. They are reasonable efforts to, to look at the problem. But I said I did not support--and I said specifically in that interview I have not formulated my own policy and have not determined which I would support. And, of course, the Cornyn proposal required all of the immigrants to go home. The McCain proposal required most of them to go home, but let some stay. And the Bush proposal I, frankly, don't recall in that much detail. But they had very different proposals. My own view is consistent with what you saw in the Lowell Sun, that those people who had come here illegally and are in this country--the 12 million or so that are here illegally--should be able to stay sign up for permanent residency or citizenship (that's amnesty folks), but they should not be given a special pathway, a special guarantee that all of them get to say here for the rest of their lives merely by virtue of having come here illegally. And that, I think, is the great flaw in the final bill that came forward from the Senate.

MR. RUSSERT: But they shouldn't have to go home?

GOV. ROMNEY: Well, whether they go home--they should go home eventually. There's a set per--in my view they should be--they should have a set period during which period they, they sign up for application for permanent residency or, or for citizenship. But there's a set period where upon they should return home. And if they've been approved for citizenship or for a permanent residency, well, thy would be a different matter. But for the great majority, they'll be going home.

MR. RUSSERT: The children they had born here are U.S. citizens, so do the children stay here and the parents go home?

GOV. ROMNEY: Well, that's a choice, of course, the parents would, would make. But my view is that those 12 million who've come here illegally should be given the opportunity to sign up to stay here (once again, the call for amnesty), but they should not be given any advantage in becoming a permanent resident or citizen by virtue of simply coming here illegally. And likewise, if they've brought a child to this country or they've had a child in this country, that's, that's wonderful that they're growing their families, but that doesn't mean that they all get to stay here indefinitely. We're fundamentally a nation of laws. And let me underscore something here that I think's awfully important, because this immigration debate can sound anti-immigrant to a lot of people. It's not intended to be that by myself or, I believe, by the vast majority of others that talk about it. We value legal immigration. We welcome people coming here with different cultures and skill and education, but we are a nation of laws. And our freedoms and our liberty are associated with following the law. We have to secure our border, we have to make sure there's an employment verification system to identify who's here legally and who's not. And then for the 12 million who've come here, welcome them to get in line with everybody else, but no special pathway.

MR. RUSSERT: Your views have been complicated by your own situation. This was The Boston Globe back in December of '06. "As Governor Mitt Romney explores a presidential bid, he has grown outspoken in his criticism of illegal immigration. But, for a decade, the governor has used a landscaping company that relies heavily on workers like these, illegal Guatemalan immigrants, to maintain the ground surrounding his pink Colonial house." That was a year ago. A year later, The Boston Globe came back and the same company and illegal immigrants doing the same work. Did you report that company to authorities saying--a year ago--saying they're using illegal immigrants?

GOV. ROMNEY: Oh, it was, it was on the front page of The Boston Globe; a reporting was not necessary. But I have to clear up the most egregious error in that article. It said my house is pink. I would not have a pink house, I assure you. In an effort to--let me, let me describe the circumstance. And that is the very issue I just mentioned, which is we need an employment verification system in this country. I hire a landscaper to take care of my leaves and, and mow the lawn, and, and the landscaping company hires people to work for them. We're certainly not going to have an America where a homeowner is expected or even thought of going out and saying, "Gosh, I see some workers here who have an accent. I want them to bring papers so I can inspect them." As a matter of fact, I think that's against the law in this country. And so, in this case, the, the landscaper, or the contractor has a responsibility to ensure that their workers are legal.

So after the first story came out, I met with the--excuse me, my son met with the landscaper and sat down with him and said, "Look, you're a good person, and you're a friend, and--but we can't possibly have someone working at my dad's house that's not a legal alien, and so you have to be absolutely certain anybody working here is legal." And he assured us that he, he would do just that. And he failed in that effort. He, according to the paper, he tried, he got documents, apparently, from all the people who, who he had work at our property. Apparently one or two of them had falsified their documents. That's the very reason why we so desperately need in this country an employment verification system, so that an employer who's hiring people can know who's here legally or illegally. If we don't have that, what it's going to say to an employer is, you better not hire someone that has any accent because if you do, it's possible they've counterfeited their documents and you're going to get whacked and the people you work for are going to get whacked.

MR. RUSSERT: Would you then be in favor of a mandatory prison term for any employer who hired an illegal immigrant?

GOV. ROMNEY: Of course not.

MR. RUSSERT: Why not?

GOV. ROMNEY: Well, a mandatory prison term? No. But here's what I would do. I'd say once you've put in place an employment verification system--and that's a big phrase to describe something pretty simple. I'd say to anybody who's coming here legally, they get a card with their name, biometric information, a number and their work status, and you--once you have those cards in place--that the only ones that can get them are people that are here legally--you then say to employers, "If you want to hire someone that's not a US citizen with a valid Social Security number, you ask for the card. You then verify it on the computer, and you can hire them if it's a valid card if they have a card. If they don't have a card and you hire them anyway, then you're going to be subject to the same kind of sanctions you get for not paying your taxes. And that's typically fines, very substantial fines, they get larger and larger. But a first offense employer hiring someone who's not legal, putting them in jail, I, I doubt that's...

MR. RUSSERT: But if you wanted to end illegal immigration, if you...

GOV. ROMNEY: Well, I'm sure, I'm sure, I'm sure...

MR. RUSSERT: ...came down hard on employers.

GOV. ROMNEY: I'm sure capital punishment would come down hard as well, but I'm not, I'm not suggesting that kind of penalty. But I do believe that, that sanctioning employers with substantial fines--and potentially worse if, if they were egregious, continuous offenders could be called for. But what employers tell me, and I, and I talk to a lot of people in small business, they say, "It is almost impossible for us to know who's here legally and illegally." In fact, there's a federal law--you'll find this interesting--a federal law prohibits an employer from, quote, "discriminating against a document that's given to them by someone applying for work." So if they look at something that looks like it's a forgery, they're not allowed to discriminate against that document. This puts them in a real catch-22, typical government work. And what we have to do instead is say, "We're going to allow you, as employers, to finally have access to an employment verification system that says who's here legally and who's here illegally. If you hire an illegal, now we're going to whack you hard with fines and penalties," and potentially even worse if they're repeat offenders.

MR. RUSSERT: We're going to take a quick break. More of our discussion with Mitt Romney, the former governor of Massachusetts. He's running for the Republican nomination for president of the United States. We'll be right back.

Paul Streitz

amfirst@optonline.net
    The the red words in italics are my own additions.

Duncan Hunter for President 2008!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Bren4824
    Quote Originally Posted by BearFlagRepublic
    Quote Originally Posted by Bren4824
    ["Before getting my vote I would have to hear Romney say "If you're an illegal alien, PACK YOUR BAGS- you're leaving the U.S"

Hunter never said this!!! If he did, can you post the article??
    He has.......Just used different terminology
    Can I see it??? As I have heard Hunter numerous times saying to build the fence, but NOT once have I heard him say that the illegals will pack their bags and head South.

Being that so many people claim that he said this and Romney did not, I would like to see it.
    First off, all illegal aliens are NOT from "South". There are illegals in this country from all over the globe, not just south of the border.

As for Duncan Hunter's amnesty position, here's something from his campaign website www.gohunter08.com

Amnesty
    Congressman Hunter has a 27 year record of fighting illegal immigration and promoting border security. As a member of Congress with a Southwest border district heavily impacted by the effects of illegal immigration, Rep. Hunter has steadfastly opposed amnesty proposals, including voting against the 1986 amnesty law, while tirelessly working to strengthen border security. Amnesty is not the answer. In fact, it encourages a whole new wave of illegal immigrants who seek to catch the next amnesty.

America has one of the most generous immigration policies in the world. It is unacceptable that we allow millions of people to sneak in the back door of our country when the front door is available. We have tried amnesty and it does not work. We must enforce and, as necessary, tighten our immigration laws and secure our border–it is a matter of national security.

While Hunter does not use my language (Pack your bags...), he spells out above, to MY satisfaction, his position regarding amnesty. Do a little digging, read and listen to interviews and past debates- Hunter does NOT support a 'path to legalization' or any other double-speak amnesty for illegal aliens.

Wow! MW Thanks for posting the Tim Russert/Romney interview. I missed that one. Guess ol Mitt's a no-go for me, too.

MW
    florgal wrote:

Wow! MW Thanks for posting the Tim Russert/Romney interview. I missed that one. Guess ol Mitt's a no-go for me, too.
    You're welcome. Personally, I don't see how in the world anyone could completely disregard the words that came directly out of Romney's mouth. The man supports a form of amnesty, that's all that needs to be said to make him a non-starter for me. Remember, McCain didn't think his plan was amnesty either.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Bren wrote:

"Before getting my vote I would have to hear Romney say "If you're an illegal alien, PACK YOUR BAGS- you're leaving the U.S"

I have heard Duncan Hunter say the illegal aliens must go home. That's a fact. I could probably find it if you insisted, but I'm hoping you'll make it easy on me and take my word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by florgal
    [As for Duncan Hunter's amnesty position, here's something from his campaign website www.gohunter08.com

Amnesty
    Congressman Hunter has a 27 year record of fighting illegal immigration and promoting border security. As a member of Congress with a Southwest border district heavily impacted by the effects of illegal immigration, Rep. Hunter has steadfastly opposed amnesty proposals, including voting against the 1986 amnesty law, while tirelessly working to strengthen border security. Amnesty is not the answer. In fact, it encourages a whole new wave of illegal immigrants who seek to catch the next amnesty.

America has one of the most generous immigration policies in the world. It is unacceptable that we allow millions of people to sneak in the back door of our country when the front door is available. We have tried amnesty and it does not work. We must enforce and, as necessary, tighten our immigration laws and secure our border–it is a matter of national security.
    Here is more from the Hunter site:

One of the strongest draws to the United States for illegal immigrants is our economy and enticing job market. It is critical that we remove this incentive for illegal migrants. As a result, Rep. Hunter has cosponsored H.R. 19, which would require the Department of Homeland Security to implement a nationwide employment verification system. Employers need to have an easy, reliable and efficient system to verify an employee’s status and there must be real consequences imposed on employers who willfully break the law and employ illegal immigrants.
    Attrition.....

All signs point to pack your bags, and get the hell out of our country!!
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    florgal wrote:

You're welcome. Personally, I don't see how in the world anyone could completely disregard the words that came directly out of Romney's mouth. The man supports a form of amnesty, that's all that needs to be said to make him a non-starter for me. Remember, McCain didn't think his plan was amnesty either.
    Tom would NEVER endorse/support Romney if he thought that he was going to reward the illegals with amnesty.

I for one trust Tom, and I trust his judgement/experience.
    "We call things racism just to get attention. We reduce complicated problems to racism, not because it is racism, but because it works." --- Alfredo Gutierrez, political consultant.

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    Bren wrote:

"Before getting my vote I would have to hear Romney say "If you're an illegal alien, PACK YOUR BAGS- you're leaving the U.S"

I have heard Duncan Hunter say the illegal aliens must go home. That's a fact. I could probably find it if you insisted, but I'm hoping you'll make it easy on me and take my word for it.
    And, I heard Romney say this as well----either Monday or Tuesday night on the Hannity/Colmes Show.
    "We call things racism just to get attention. We reduce complicated problems to racism, not because it is racism, but because it works." --- Alfredo Gutierrez, political consultant.

Quote Originally Posted by BearFlagRepublic
    Quote Originally Posted by florgal
    [As for Duncan Hunter's amnesty position, here's something from his campaign website www.gohunter08.com

Here is more from the Hunter site:

One of the strongest draws to the United States for illegal immigrants is our economy and enticing job market. It is critical that we remove this incentive for illegal migrants. As a result, Rep. Hunter has cosponsored H.R. 19, which would require the Department of Homeland Security to implement a nationwide employment verification system. Employers need to have an easy, reliable and efficient system to verify an employee’s status and there must be real consequences imposed on employers who willfully break the law and employ illegal immigrants.
    Attrition.....

All signs point to pack your bags, and get the hell out of our country!!
    This is a major difference between RP and Hunter - consequences on employeers which RP will not do

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast