Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bush: 'Guest worker' plan will benefit U.S. employers

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory. ... cs/3295541

Aug. 3, 2005, 10:06PM

Bush: 'Guest worker' plan will benefit U.S. employers
    The president, in a wide-ranging talk, gives a hint at how he'll pitch reform measures

By MICHAEL HEDGES
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle Washington Bureau

GRAPEVINE - President Bush told a crowd of state legislators Wednesday that he will push immigration reform as beneficial for U.S. employers as well as foreigners looking for work.

He also made an impassioned pitch for Americans to stay behind the war in Iraq.

"Immigration reform is going to be an interesting subject when we get back to Washington" in September, said Bush, who plans to spend this month at his Crawford ranch.

He argued that his proposal for a "guest worker" program is good for employers and illegal immigrants who want a mutually beneficial relationship.

"If you are a willing employer (and) you have somebody looking for work and you can't find an American, there ought to be a legal way for you to employ that person," he said. "We'd rather have people coming in with a card that said, 'I'm a legal worker,' than trying to sneak across the border."

The president has proposed a system under which immigrants would be granted worker temporary worker status, after which they would have to leave the United States. Critics have called it a thinly veiled amnesty program. Immigration reform plans have stalled in Congress so far this year, and Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist recently suggested a GOP push on the issue was more likely to happen next year.

Talking hours after the first reports that 14 U.S. Marines were killed in Iraq, Bush said, "The violence in recent days in Iraq is a grim reminder of the enemies we face. These terrorists and insurgents will use brutal tactics because they're trying to shake the will of the United States of America."

With polls showing that public support for continued military involvement in Iraq is eroding in the face of steady casualties, Bush relied on a familiar linkage of the war with the larger struggle against terrorism. He said Americans who died in Iraq and Afghanistan "lost their lives in a noble cause."

Speaking to 1,800 people at the American Legislative Exchange Council conference, Bush basked in recent legislative victories delivered by a GOP majority in Congress, including the Central American Free Trade Agreement and energy and highways legislation.

Bush said his priorities when Congress reconvenes after Labor Day will be immigration reform, making his tax cuts permanent, getting Supreme Court nominee John G. Roberts confirmed and resurrecting his Social Security reform initiative.

Bush drew loud cheers by saying he strongly believed in private retirement accounts for workers under 55. "Now is the time to permanently fix Social Security," he said.

The event was held at a mammoth convention center where visiting legislators were introduced to Texas pride, including a large replica of the Alamo, a 10-foot-long space shuttle model and other state symbols.

michael.hedges@chron.com

He argued that his proposal for a "guest worker" program is good for employers and illegal immigrants who want a mutually beneficial relationship.

"If you are a willing employer (and) you have somebody looking for work and you can't find an American, there ought to be a legal way for you to employ that person," he said. "We'd rather have people coming in with a card that said, 'I'm a legal worker,' than trying to sneak across the border."
    Mr. President -- there is no "legal way" for "illegal immigrants" to work in the United States .... that's an oxymoron
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

One thing I've never been able to figure out is just HOW are they going to prove no American wants the job, and HOW are they going to ensure that

That's just a "slight problem", that Mr. President would prefer not to discuss, I guess.

Does anyone have a clue on how this would be done? .....If it were to be done?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

double post

I thought I checked good to see if this article was already posted ... I missed that Brian had posted it at

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-7667.html

can you move this one?
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

That's my prez!

I guess the rest of us can drop dead.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

California or ground zero of the invasion
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamie
    double post

I thought I checked good to see if this article was already posted ... I missed that Brian had posted it at

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-7667.html

can you move this one?
    I went ahead and deleted my post since it didn't have any replies.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Brian503a
    I went ahead and deleted my post since it didn't have any replies.
    thanks, I called myself looking!

I'd like to make the prez a 'guest worker' south of the border!
    I wonder how many illegals got their NC driver licenses renewed last week? President Bush needs to protect the borders not illegals. President Bush is a coward and guilty of treason when it comes to securing the borders.

[quote="StraightShooter"]I'd like to make the prez a 'guest worker' south of the border![/quot

Or maybe if he wants them so badly have them all go to the crwford texas Ranch and live.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Quote Originally Posted by Scubayons

Or maybe if he wants them so badly have them all go to the crwford texas Ranch and live.
    Better yet, deport them to the White House!
    I wonder how many illegals got their NC driver licenses renewed last week? President Bush needs to protect the borders not illegals. President Bush is a coward and guilty of treason when it comes to securing the borders.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightShooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubayons

Better yet, deport them to the White House!
    Then seal the border. It would be a less border to seal
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast