Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NJ: Another Venue Refuses Immigration Rally

Another venue refuses immigration rally

Supporters: Event probably won't be held at all

Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 10/4/07
    BY ZACH PATBERG
    TOMS RIVER BUREAU

Diane Reaves wishes she was dreaming.

At this point she'd opt for the surreal rather than continue down the path of organizing a rally that in the last few months has given her a crash course in reality checks and false hopes.

"PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME THIS IS A DREAM!!!!!" she wrote in the subject line of a mass e-mail to a reporter and dozens of supporters.

The message Tuesday described what very well may be the final blow to an already crippled pursuit: Yet another venue had rejected a request to host the rally against illegal immigration when Reaves was under the impression the event was on.

Kim Siecinski, the Exalted Ruler of the Old Bridge Elks Lodge, informed the novice organizer in an e-mail that "Our organization is not sectarian and non-political, thus we are unable to be party to your organization."

Siecinski declined to comment when reached by phone.

Three days earlier, Reaves sent out an e-mail, ecstatic because a former exalted ruler, Frank Shallis Sr., had offered her use of the lodge in Old Bridge.

"And to top it off, they REFUSE to charge me a DIME for the hall rental," she wrote. "They have the courage and patriotism that is forbidden in the township of Lakewood. They are not dictated by the "majority rule' of the two major groups in Old Bridge. They believe in our battle and are willing to help out in many ways."

By that time, Reaves had given up on holding the rally in Lakewood. Originally scheduled for Aug. 25 at the Lakewood town square, the rally was canceled because Reaves felt there would be too little security amid rumors of Hispanic gangs and militant groups showing up.

The township declined to provide the rally with an increased police presence, saying it was against its policy to do so for private occasions. Others, however, have pointed to past events where the police department provided security, including religious fundraisers.

That led Reaves to ask the American Legion Post on River Avenue to use its building. She and its first vice commander, Angelo Barone, drew up a $300 contract to hold the rally there Oct. 20.

Days later, the post commander, Greg Naekel, came back from vacation, saw the contract and voided it, saying the group's bylaws prohibit the post from hosting anything political or partisan in nature.

"I was away, and when I got back I was like "Whoa! What happened here?' " Naekel said. "Since then, we've tried to smooth it out as best as we could."

Rally supporters have argued that the legion has taken a stance on immigration. The national office has on its Web site a policy paper that says, in part: "The security, economy and social fabric of the United States of America is seriously threatened by individuals who have illegally entered this country."

Naekel said, however, that each local post follows its own bylaws and not necessarily those of other offices. He recently met with county and state legion heads who agreed, he said.

"I'm not against border security or any of that, but we're not allowed to have it at this place," he said.

Reaves' money was returned with apologies for the mix-up, Naekel said. Reaves said she still plans on suing the American Legion for breach of contract.

With the Elks club rejection, it appears the rally will not be held at all, according to supporters.

"I think it's sad," said Patricia DeFilippis, who was supposed to go with Reaves to Middlesex County this weekend to hire police for security at the Old Bridge rally. "She's had speakers line up all this time, and now 18 days beforehand we get canceled. What's an American to do?"

Reaves she said she is still getting calls for interviews from media across the country, including one Tuesday night from SCAN TV in Seattle, the community access network there.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 7710040484
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

working4change
    Why am I not surprised Sounds very suspicious to me. This will be the third time I believe that this has happened.

It would be terribly politically incorrect to let the American citizens point out a glaring problem that exists in the state. lol It is, however, acceptable for 3 innocent people to be murdered in Newark due to an illegal alien criminal and for our senators to vote nay to electing English as the national language.

SHE STILL SHOULD HAVE CONTACTED THE NATIONAL COMMANDER! And she has given no indication this was done.

Freedom of speach seems to be one way. Only those for opening the border are allowed to express their opinion and no one else can say anything. america is sinking into a third world country due to illegals and open border supporters. Somehow I suspect that Regan is turning in his grave over granting amensty in 1986.

SHE STILL SHOULD HAVE CONTACTED THE NATIONAL COMMANDER! And she has given no indication this was done.

I remember that suggestion being made when this issue first came to light. According to the article, though, I guess each post operates under their own bylaws so, regardless of the Legion's public stance on illegal immigration, individual posts are not under any obligation to allow use of their facility for gatherings related to either side of the issue.

What I'm not understanding, however, is why these places......being fully aware of the nature of the rally.....are offering use of a facility and then all of a sudden changing their minds?? If they believe it to be that controversial, why offer in the first place?

Something doesn't sound right..............

Anyway, maybe, at this point, Dianne would be better off trying to find someone who owns vacant retail/office space, a warehouse, or something else along those lines who would be willing to rent it for the event. A location like that is pretty much "anonymous space" until a business actually leases it so she wouldn't run into the problem of an established organization, facility, or what have you, worried about their name being connected to a controversial event and might have better luck going that route.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

JRB
    So they can have Illegal Protest at UCLA but a person cant get anyone to allow a meeting to Secure the United States? This is Crap, people should be lining up to sponcer such an event.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB
    So they can have Illegal Protest at UCLA but a person cant get anyone to allow a meeting to Secure the United States? This is Crap, people should be lining up to sponcer such an event.

Yes, it seems that illegals are the only ones entitled to free speech. They can yell, scream, burn flags and their "rights" are protected.

Americans are not even allowed to have peaceful freedom of assembly anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB

Yes, it seems that illegals are the only ones entitled to free speech. They can yell, scream, burn flags and their "rights" are protected.

Americans are not even allowed to have peaceful freedom of assembly anymore.
    This is a sad truth! We are systematically being stripped of our rights, while illegals enjoy unfettered protests and marches. OUR law enforcement is readily available at the slightest illegal alien whim, yet legal citizens are expected to hire security. I never thought I would see the day when legal citizens of this country would be relegated to second-class status behind parasitic illegal aliens.

The only good thing is that the tide is turning in our favor in this country and their protests and marches fall on DEAF EARS!

American's are fighting back by pressuring our elected Reps. and we are winning!! Keep up the pressure!!

JRB
    I wonder if they have looked at the Veterans Administration as a possible Venue. I know they were feircely opposed to the Amnesty act back in June so maybe they would be an avenue to look at. Just a Thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast