Another venue refuses immigration rally

Supporters: Event probably won't be held at all

Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 10/4/07
BY ZACH PATBERG
TOMS RIVER BUREAU

Diane Reaves wishes she was dreaming.

At this point she'd opt for the surreal rather than continue down the path of organizing a rally that in the last few months has given her a crash course in reality checks and false hopes.

"PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME THIS IS A DREAM!!!!!" she wrote in the subject line of a mass e-mail to a reporter and dozens of supporters.

The message Tuesday described what very well may be the final blow to an already crippled pursuit: Yet another venue had rejected a request to host the rally against illegal immigration when Reaves was under the impression the event was on.

Kim Siecinski, the Exalted Ruler of the Old Bridge Elks Lodge, informed the novice organizer in an e-mail that "Our organization is not sectarian and non-political, thus we are unable to be party to your organization."

Siecinski declined to comment when reached by phone.

Three days earlier, Reaves sent out an e-mail, ecstatic because a former exalted ruler, Frank Shallis Sr., had offered her use of the lodge in Old Bridge.

"And to top it off, they REFUSE to charge me a DIME for the hall rental," she wrote. "They have the courage and patriotism that is forbidden in the township of Lakewood. They are not dictated by the "majority rule' of the two major groups in Old Bridge. They believe in our battle and are willing to help out in many ways."

By that time, Reaves had given up on holding the rally in Lakewood. Originally scheduled for Aug. 25 at the Lakewood town square, the rally was canceled because Reaves felt there would be too little security amid rumors of Hispanic gangs and militant groups showing up.

The township declined to provide the rally with an increased police presence, saying it was against its policy to do so for private occasions. Others, however, have pointed to past events where the police department provided security, including religious fundraisers.

That led Reaves to ask the American Legion Post on River Avenue to use its building. She and its first vice commander, Angelo Barone, drew up a $300 contract to hold the rally there Oct. 20.

Days later, the post commander, Greg Naekel, came back from vacation, saw the contract and voided it, saying the group's bylaws prohibit the post from hosting anything political or partisan in nature.

"I was away, and when I got back I was like "Whoa! What happened here?' " Naekel said. "Since then, we've tried to smooth it out as best as we could."

Rally supporters have argued that the legion has taken a stance on immigration. The national office has on its Web site a policy paper that says, in part: "The security, economy and social fabric of the United States of America is seriously threatened by individuals who have illegally entered this country."

Naekel said, however, that each local post follows its own bylaws and not necessarily those of other offices. He recently met with county and state legion heads who agreed, he said.

"I'm not against border security or any of that, but we're not allowed to have it at this place," he said.

Reaves' money was returned with apologies for the mix-up, Naekel said. Reaves said she still plans on suing the American Legion for breach of contract.

With the Elks club rejection, it appears the rally will not be held at all, according to supporters.

"I think it's sad," said Patricia DeFilippis, who was supposed to go with Reaves to Middlesex County this weekend to hire police for security at the Old Bridge rally. "She's had speakers line up all this time, and now 18 days beforehand we get canceled. What's an American to do?"

Reaves she said she is still getting calls for interviews from media across the country, including one Tuesday night from SCAN TV in Seattle, the community access network there.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 7710040484