Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Friends Try To Stop Grads Deportation

It's nice to see ICE is actually doing something.

http://www.miamiherald.com/416/story/183665.html

Friends try to stop Killian grad's deportation
    BY KATHLEEN McGRORY
    kmcgrory@MiamiHerald.com

Juan Gomez was poised for greatness. At Miami Killian High, he aced 15 Advanced Placement classes and earned a near-perfect score on his SATs. He exceled in football and was popular with classmates.
    On the Web | Information on social networking sites
    Document | Why youth love social network sites
    Juan Gomez was poised for greatness.

At Miami Killian High, he aced 15 Advanced Placement classes and earned a near-perfect score on his SATs. He exceled in football and was popular with classmates. He had plans to attend Miami Dade College's Honors College.

But on Thursday, Gomez, 18, sat in an immigrant detention facility in Broward County, periodically placing desperate calls to friends. He's being deported to Colombia, the country where he was born, but a place he has never known.

Gomez's friends first found out about his ordeal in text messages he sent them as immigration agents drove him and his family to the facility. Hours later, more than 400 teens came to his defense the best way they knew how -- using the Web.

The teens have joined a virtual assemblage on Facebook.com and are furiously writing letters to lawmakers in Tallahassee and Washington, begging them to save Juan.

''He's one of the smartest kids I know and an amazing friend,'' said Scott Elfenbein, 18, the Killian graduate leading the effort. ``We're doing all that we can to help him.''

Julio and Liliana Gomez and their two sons -- Alejandro, 19, and Juan -- have lived in the country since 1990. They came to South Florida on a visitor's visa, immigration officials said, authorizing the family to stay in the country for no more than six months.

Juan Gomez was 2 years old.

The family started a small catering company and enrolled their children in public schools, friends said. It's unclear why they chose to stay.

At Killian, Gomez was known for his good grades and his playful sense of humor. He had dozens of friends and enjoyed movies, video games and sports, his buddies said. He also worked a restaurant job to help support his family.

In May, Gomez graduated in the top 20 of his 780-member class, friends said. He had hoped to go to Harvard or the University of Pennsylvania but had trouble applying because of his illegal status. Instead, he enrolled in Miami Dade College's honors program to study business administration. Officials at the school said he showed tremendous potential and promise.

But problems were brewing.

The family had gone to immigration court to seek legal status, and a judge turned them down. Five years ago, the Board of Immigration Appeals agreed with the ruling.

''They had five years to make arrangements to return to their home country,'' said Barbara Gonzalez, an Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokeswoman in Miami. ``Instead of complying with the law, they ignored it and remained in the country.''

The deportation order caught up with them Wednesday.

About 6:30 a.m., Gomez and his relatives were roused from their sleep at their Kendall home by immigration agents. They were handcuffed, loaded into the back of a squad car and hauled to Broward County, Gomez told his friends.

While in the cruiser, Gomez called and messaged his friends from his cellphone.

He told them his father is at Krome detention center, while the rest of the family is being held at a facility in Broward. Gomez and his brother Alex are sharing a cell with three other men. Their mother is being held in a separate women's facility.

''He says it's like purgatory,'' said Elfenbein, who spoke with Gomez on Thursday. ``It's terrible. This couldn't have happened to a nicer person.''

Elfenbein and his friends weren't about to sit idly by.

Hours after Gomez was detained, they mobilized on Facebook, the popular social networking site. They started a group dedicated to keeping Gomez in the country.

''We wanted to reach out to everybody,'' Elfenbein said. ``We figured the easiest, fastest way to do that would be using Facebook. Everyone uses Facebook.''

Elfenbein posted directions on how to contact state and local lawmakers. He also included information on pending immigration legislation and a few pictures of Juan.

Since Thursday morning, more than 400 teens have joined the group. Two dozen have posted the letters they're sending to lawmakers. Many are pushing Congress to pass the DREAM Act, legislation that would provide a path to citizenship for the children of undocumented immigrants.

''We all just want to be there for Juan,'' said Kayla Rodriguez, 18, one of Gomez's best friends and a group member. ``He would be there for us.''

The students aren't the only ones concerned with Gomez's situation.

Cheryl Little, executive director of the Florida Immigrant Advocacy Center, said her office is looking into the family's case.

''We learn of a lot of cases like this at the last minute,'' she said. ``Often times, it's very difficult to help. People are deported very quickly.''

Little said she's concerned this kind of activity is on the rise.

''First, they're separated. Then, their lives are literally turned upside down on a moment's notice,'' she said. ``It's heartbreaking.''

Gonzalez, the ICE spokeswoman, said the arrest shouldn't be surprising.

''It's unfortunate that parents place their children in these situations by breaking the law,'' she said. ``But they did break the law.''

Late Thursday, Elfenbein and his friends gathered at a southwest Miami-Dade restaurant to plan the next phase of their attack. They knew time was running out.

''He's looking at a very, very slim chance of staying here,'' Elfenbein said. ``Short of the president stepping in, it's going to be hard to keep him in this country. We're doing all we can.''

Miami Herald staff writer Noah Bierman contributed to this report.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This young man has a wonderful education. His parents are obviously capable people. Let them go home now and do great things in their own country.

Let's make room for Mr. and Mrs. America's son or daughter.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The parents have known for five years they would have to leave so why did they put their children through this?Why didn't they make arrangements to leave and follow through,they knew what was going to happen if they did not self deport.

Surely this young man can go to college in his home country.

When are Illegals going to start taking responsibility for their actions instead of acting as if it is our fault they are in this situation !
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

aco
    I have never seen words so cruel and heartless in my life. How can you punish someone that had no control over their situation? How can you stop someone's life and make them start all over? Juan has tons of friends and extreme intelligence. He is brighter than most of what you call "Mr. and Mrs. America's son or daughter". Juan will find the cure for cancer. Juan will find the cure for AIDS. Juan will invent the first flying car. Juan will be a success and America is the best place to do it. America allows everyone to strive at what their good at where other countries do not. I think you should rethink your thoughts because by losing Juan Gomez, you are losing a chance to improve this country.

Quote Originally Posted by aco
    I have never seen words so cruel and heartless in my life. How can you punish someone that had no control over their situation? How can you stop someone's life and make them start all over? Juan has tons of friends and extreme intelligence. He is brighter than most of what you call "Mr. and Mrs. America's son or daughter". Juan will find the cure for cancer. Juan will find the cure for AIDS. Juan will invent the first flying car. Juan will be a success and America is the best place to do it. America allows everyone to strive at what their good at where other countries do not. I think you should rethink your thoughts because by losing Juan Gomez, you are losing a chance to improve this country.
    Then Ecuador needs him far worse than we do -

They won. The family is not being deported for now acciording to the 6 o'clock news. They are also pushing Mel Martinez to push the dream act. As if we don't pay enough for illegals. I will post this as soon as it becomes availible.

At Miami Killian High, he aced 15 Advanced Placement classes and earned a near-perfect score on his SATs. He exceled in football and was popular with classmates. He had plans to attend Miami Dade College's Honors College.
    I don't care if he's the first one to Mars or even finds the mathematical breakdown for nuclear waste..he's illegally here and should be deported.

At Killian, Gomez was known for his good grades and his playful sense of humor.
    Good, let him go humor his own country.

I agree but those brain washed teenagers who went to school with him are now pushing for the dream act.

swatchick--I went to Killian Sr. High. I can tell you that chances are that his student supporters are probably 90% latin.

Don't think that all of the kids have been douped. That school is large enough to house 2400 students and from what I understand the illegal has about 400 supporters.

He's got plenty of time to apply legally for citizenship. How do we know that the next Isaac Newton isn't waiting to get here from some other country? Why should HE take the place of someone who has legally applied for citizenship?

High School is nothing. If he were a valedictorian at MIT or CalTech I'd be impressed. The kid isn't a nobel prize winner, he's a valedictorian in high school. He's not the ONLY valedictorian in the US either.

The US can live without him and will.

I'm playing the world's smallest violin just for you and him.

Quote Originally Posted by aco
    por las chupacabras todo, fuero de las chupacabras nada

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast