Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Just in from NumbersUSA

Comprehensive Amnesty Threat

* Overview
    * Update
    * Quotes
    * Publications
    * Polls
    * In the News

Overview

Often referred to as Comprehensive Immigration Reform, pro-amnesty groups seek to offer legal permanent residence to illegal aliens. Comprehensive Immigration Reform bills were introduced in Congress in both 2006 and 2007.

In 2006, separate versions were passed in the Senate and House, but an agreement was never reached in conference committee. In 2007, a version in the Senate proposed by Senators John McCain and Ted Kennedy with support from Pres. Bush failed to reach a cloture vote. The grassroots effort from NumbersUSA members was a major reason why the amnesty failed.

Often referred to as Comprehensive Immigration Reform, pro-amnesty groups seek to offer legal permanent residence to illegal aliens. Comprehensive Immigration Reform bills were introduced in Congress in both 2006 and 2007.

In 2006, separate versions were passed in the Senate and House, but an agreement was never reached in conference committee. In 2007, a version in the Senate proposed by Senators John McCain and Ted Kennedy with support from Pres. Bush failed to reach a cloture vote. The grassroots effort from NumbersUSA members was a major reason why the amnesty failed.

During the 2008 campaign, Pres. Obama offered support for amnesty, and with an overwhelming majority of supporters in the House and Senate, newer versions of the failed bills are likely to be introduced.

Show More Show Less

Visit your Action Buffet to take action!
    Related Issues

* Amnesty

* Email this page
    * Printer-friendly version

Update
    Reps. Jason Chaffetz and Frank Kratovil Introduce Pro-Enforcement, Anti-Amnesty Resolution

Thursday, January 21, 2010, 11:36 AM EST - posted on NumbersUSA

Reps. Kratovil and Chaffetz

Reps. Kratovil and Chaffetz

Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) has introduced a bi-partisan House Resolution along with Rep. Frank Kratovil (D-Md.) and 20 other House Members that would express the House's intent to 1) mandate the nationwide use of E-Verify, 2) secure the borders, and 3) prevent any amnesty as part of an immigration reform bill.

The list of cosponsors for the Bipartisan Reform of Immigration through Defining Good Enforcement Resolution (H.Res.1026) includes:

* John Barrow (D-Ga.)
    * Bobby Bright (D-Ala.)
    * Travis Childers (D-Miss.)
    * Mike Coffman (R-Colo.)
    * John Fleming (R-La.)
    * Gregg Harper (R-Miss)
    * Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.)
    * Lynn Jenkins (R-Kan.)
    * Steve Kagen (D-Wis.)
    * Blaine Luetkemeyer (R-Mo.)
    * Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyo.)
    * Patrick Murphy (D-Penn.)
    * Glenn Nye (D-Va.)
    * Pete Olson (R-Texas)
    * Bill Posey (R-Fla.)
    * Phil Roe (R-Tenn.)
    * Heath Shuler (D-N.C.)
    * Gene Taylor (D-Miss.)

H.Res.1026 reads as follows:

Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the continued peace, prosperity, liberty, and national security of the United States and its people depend upon the rule of law and credible and effective immigration enforcement policies which both welcome lawful immigrants and non-immigrants and also prevent the unlawful entry or unlawful continuing presence of foreign persons.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

Mr. CHAFFETZ submitted the following resolution; which was referred to the Committee

RESOLUTION

Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the continued peace, prosperity, liberty, and national security of the United States and its people depend upon the rule of law and credible and effective immigration enforcement policies which both welcome lawful immigrants and non-immigrants and also prevent the unlawful entry or unlawful continuing presence of foreign persons. Whereas the United States, as a nation of immigrants, recognizes and celebrates the economic and cultural contributions of generations of lawful immigrants;

Whereas the United States must remain a place where lawful immigrants can come to enjoy the promises of religious, political, and economic freedom; and

Whereas the continued peace, prosperity, liberty, and national security of the United States and its people depend upon the rule of law and credible and effective immigration enforcement policies which both welcome lawful immigrants and non-immigrants and also prevent the unlawful entry or unlawful continuing presence of foreign persons: Now, therefore, be it Resolved, That it is the sense of the House of Representatives that—

(1) the use of a basic pilot program described in section 403(a) of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (8 U.S.C. 1324a note; commonly known as the E-verify program) by employers of workers within the United States should be mandatory, and that enforcement policies should hold both employers and employees responsible whenever an individual’s employment violates United States immigration law;

(2) installing and sustaining the necessary border infrastructure and manpower to effectively secure and control United States borders to prevent the unauthorized passage of persons or contraband is a critical responsibility of the Federal Government; and

(3) any immigration reform proposal adopted by Congress should not legalize, grant amnesty for, or confer any other legal status condoning the other- wise unlawful entry or presence in the United States of any individual.

Check your Action Board for faxes urging your Rep to sponsor the resolution or thanking them if they have already done so.
    http://www.numbersusa.com/content/news/ ... -amnesty-r

This was emailed to me from Roy Beck Numbers USA

Until this resolution, voters have not been able to know which Members of Congress they can count on to oppose a mass legalization of some 12 million illegal aliens.

We have been able to know the hundred or so Members of Congress who aggressively are pushing an amnesty because they have co-sponsored amnesty bills.

But when a Member who hasn't co-sponsored an amnesty says he/she is against an amnesty, we haven't really known what that means.

NOW, THOUGH, WE CAN LOOK TO THIS ANTI-AMNESTY RESOLUTION (H. RES. 1026) TO FIND THE NAMES OF THE MEMBERS WE CAN TRULY TRUST TO VOTE 'NO' ON ANY AMNESTY.

This is a great immediate followup to the election of a no-amnesty Senator from Massachusetts who is filling a seat that has promoted amnesties and foreign-worker increases for 45 years.

This effort is being led by two freshmen, Rep. Chaffetz (R-Utah) and Rep. Kratovil (D-Maryland).

Other Democrats who are original No-Amnesty co-sponsors are Reps. Nye (Va.), Kagen (Wis.), Murphy (Pa.), Barrow (Ga.), Bright (Ala.), Taylor (Miss.), McIntyre (N.C.), Shuler (N.C.) and Childers (Miss.)

Other Republicans signing are Reps. Hunter (Calif.), Jenkins (Kan.), Luetkemeyer (Mo.), Olson (Texas), Fleming (La.), Lummis (Wyoming), Coffman (Colo.), McClintock (Calif.), Posey (Fla.), Roe (Tenn.), Harper (Miss.).

The filing of this resolution means that no Member of Congress can stay on the fence on amnesty now. Either the Members sign on to this No-Amnesty bill, or they signal that they are keeping open the possibility that they will vote FOR an amnesty if one comes up.

BILL INCLUDES MANDATORY E-VERIFY AND BORDER SECURITY

The short bill has three parts that commit the House of Representatives to:

* Mandatory E-Verify for all employers for all employees to keep illegal aliens out of U.S. jobs.

* Infrastructure and manpower to effectively secure and control U.s. borders.

* NO Amnesty.

The precise language can be read in the story on our home page.

The language about amnesty is simply:

". . . any immigration reform proposal adopted by Congress should not legalize, grant amnesty for, or confer any other legal status condoning the otherwise unlawful entry or presence in the United States of any individual."

Here is the statement of Rep. Kratovil (D-Maryland):

As a former prosecutor, I am committed to the rule of law. I came to Congress to fight for a common sense approach on immigration reform: enforcing the rules already on the books, punishing those who knowingly choose to violate them, and opposing any plans that reward or incentivize illegal behavior at the expense of those who are trying to play by the rules. This bipartisan resolution recognizes the critical role that legal immigrants have played in our society and lays out the principles that should guide any discussion of immigration reform. I am pleased to join Representatives Chaffetz, Nye, and Hunter as a lead on this important measure.

Statement of Rep. Chaffetz (R-Utah) who got to Congress by defeating the pro-amnesty Republican leader Rep. Cannon in a primary election:

Our government has a duty and responsibility to make our first immigration priority the enforcement of existing laws by ensuring that illegal behavior is punished, not rewarded. Any discussion of comprehensive immigration reform must begin with a renewed commitment to enforce our immigration laws. We need to remove the incentives that encourage illegal behavior if we expect to get immigration under control.

OK, fellow Americans, let's get your Representative signed onto this bill!

THANKS,

Roy Beck's signature

Roy Beck, President NumbersUSA

Kathyet

Got mine, done my faxing only I know my Rep. supports the Dream Act so I honestly don't expect him to get on board! Any time I send him something, he sends the canned email "As a former educator blah blah blah" as if I emailed him in support. I am so ashamed to say I voted for the jerk, but you can bet your bottom dollar I will be rectifying that mistake next election time!

I see Duncan Hunter's name, and Health Schuler. Some of these people I am not that familiar with as it relates to illegal immigration. How do these Representatives vote on more visa holders, larger numbers of foreign labor?

Psalm 91
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Just sent my faxes out.

Sent my faxes!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

GeorgiaPeach use this http://betterimmigration.com/
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thank you Richard.

Psalm 91
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    thanks ... fax's out

Quote Originally Posted by nomas
    Got mine, done my faxing only I know my Rep. supports the Dream Act so I honestly don't expect him to get on board! Any time I send him something, he sends the canned email "As a former educator blah blah blah" as if I emailed him in support. I am so ashamed to say I voted for the jerk, but you can bet your bottom dollar I will be rectifying that mistake next election time!
    We've all made that mistake, so don't feel alone or ashamed on that one, nomas. All we can do is learn and try to do better next election. I mean, I voted for Bush twice, the first time I had no reason as a Republican not to vote for him as far as I knew at that time, then in late 2004, I'm learning he's not a Republican, OH NO, he's Mr.Free Trade Treason, Mr. Open Borders, Mr. They Do The Jobs Americans Won't Do, Mr. Guest Worker Program Jerk Bush.

BUT, our alternative was John Kerry who wanted Amnesty. Now that's just damn pathetic when your choices are between Mr. No Enforcement Guest Worker Permit Bush and Mr. Amnesty Let Them All Come Kerry.

Talk about the lesser of two evils, that was 2004 for sure. Then we had 2008, oh my God, it got even worse. In 2008, we had Amnesty McCain vs. Amnesty Obama.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

My faxes out.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast